FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vladamyr

The Crazy WoW ideas

I wanted to start a post pertaining to how YOU would change WoW. This post is meant just for fun and sharing crazy ideas. Have fun with it! Posted Image

To start off: One of the things I would change is how healing (currently a little like whack-a-mole) could become more dps rotation like with throughput being more important. So to do that I would have encounters do less big spike damage (with big hits being in the 10% of health range) and reduce the throughput of healing to balance with this. The idea being that healing would become more of trying to keep up with the raids damage intake (imagine more of a tug of war style between healing and encounter damage to tank/raid). So one of the obvious problems with this would be "No one would move out of bad effects, they would expect the healers just to compensate". So to address that, I would also propose that all dps be multiplied by your current health percentage. This would still keep the importance on keeping the raid topped off and as a side bonus, dps players (always looking for big numbers) would be more inclined to avoid damage/use defensive cooldowns to keep their dps at maximum effect.

There is probably a ton of things wrong with this that I haven't thought about so discuss or post some of your ideas for us to discuss.

I would add a new hero class "caster tank" to the game, and also convert one spec each for locks and mages into a caster tank. Caster tanks would primarily be used for heavy magic damage fights (which of course we would add to the game).

The caster tanks would not need different stats from what is currently used for dps. they would have talents that, for example, convert spell crit to spell dodge, convert mastery to armor, and convert armor to spell damage reduction.

Fights that happen to require a caster tank would typically require at most 1 in 10man, or 2 in 25man. All of these fights would still require 1-2 physical damage tanks, so nobody would be losing their role to the new tank classes.

Edited by Storm

Change the ilvl of gear drops for the various encounters.

Heroic Dungeons/Heroic Scenarios = LFR

Valor gear would have no reputation requirements and would be equal to Crafted/Normal Raid gear

Heroic Raid Gear = Heroic Valor Gear = Heroic Crafted (Here's where it get's crazy) Remove the valor cap but lower the weekly cap to 500-700. Announce that with every xpac there will be a valor point conversion to Justice. Heroic Valor Gear would simply be very high costing valor to accommodate heroic raiders who are looking to fill in a piece. It should be high enough valor cost that it would not be possible to grind more than about 2 pieces between tiers. Heroic Crafted gear would simply require ludicrous amounts of mats compared to the non-Heroic versions (maybe x20-x100 the mats) you would want this to be rare and ultra costly.

speaking of raids and gear. I'd like to see them add a challenge option to all old raids, Vanilla all the way up to 5.1

Challenge mode would require a full raid of the appropriate size, because your base stats and ilvl would all be scaled to the appropriate level for the raid. All bosses would drop the same gear they dropped before but scaled up to current LFR ilvl.

This would take a bit of work at first since many fights would probably have to be rebalanced, but since it's just for LFR level gear I think easier would be better than hard. The whole reason for doing it is so people can experience older raids as if they were level appropriate without the hassle of making a twink and finding a full raid of other level appropriate twinks.

After everything is initially built the only upkeep involved would be bumping up the ilvl of gear dropped to match the current LFR with each new tier. but this would be minimal work compared to what it takes to make a new raid, and it would lead to every raid in the game always being a current raid.

Edited by Storm
  • Like 2

speaking of raids and gear........ and it would lead to every raid in the game always being a current raid.

All WIN! Love this idea! This would actually attract me to running LFR. Great idea!

I might be talking about something that does already exist and will only result in facepalms on my comment, but I'll go for it anyway. Most people can find good spots in LFR to improve, but what about transmog and void storage? There have been an abundance of times where I run an old raid with my hunter and find nothing but warrior gear, then run the same raid with my warrior and find nothing but hunter gear. Oh, guess what, now I have to wait a week to try again. A quick fix for this would be void storage. Giving an item to void storage can make it avaliable for transmog across the account, but can add a feature of giving up the item. Meaning once it goes in, you don't get it back unless for transmog. Add in another feature to increase the storage for additional gold (have plenty with bad LFR rolls) so you can meet the needs for all of your alts. Again, it might already be possible and I failed to read it elsewhere, but I'm getting a little sick of vendoring good gear just because its soulbound to the wrong alt.

• Like 1

I would add a new hero class "caster tank" to the game, and also convert one spec each for locks and mages into a caster tank. Caster tanks would primarily be used for heavy magic damage fights (which of course we would add to the game).

The caster tanks would not need different stats from what is currently used for dps. they would have talents that, for example, convert spell crit to spell dodge, convert mastery to armor, and convert armor to spell damage reduction.

Fights that happen to require a caster tank would typically require at most 1 in 10man, or 2 in 25man. All of these fights would still require 1-2 physical damage tanks, so nobody would be losing their role to the new tank classes.

Might sound like a good idea as first, but if u think through it well u'll prob see it as well.

First of all, u mentioned that they'd be magical encounter tanks, as wounderful as it sounds now, these tanks would just get pissed of later, when they come to a physical dmg fight and either getting taken of that perticular fight or asked to do another role. Second of all that kinda takes us back to vanilla and BC where u kinda wanted a warr tank in every raid and in Wotlk a DK in every raid. This would lead to fights with physical dmg u would use one of our current tanking classes and in magical fights, the new class. Not kinda a good situation to put us back in.

This might ofc only be my thoughts on the matter, so feel free to counter-argue with me =D

- Horcored

I like fights that require you to have specific roles covered, but not necessarily roles that can only be covered by 1 particular class like Naxx 25 where you had to have priests to mind control the adds to tank the fight.

It would also make more use of dual spec, and you could eliminate pure dps classes. maybe Rogues and Hunters could become the caster tanks, and then Mages and Warlock could have a hybrid dps/heal spec where they do roughly half dps, and half raid healing.

I guess I was sort of thinking it could be like Rift where you had certain tanks that were best for physical damage, and then tanks that were best for magic damage, and everyone had 3 specs which were built from 5 talent trees, and you usually made use of most of those three specs over the course of the raid.

Rift did support healers really well in my opinion too. basically rogues, mages, and clerics (their version of paladins) had a spec where you would deal damage and it would be converted to raid healing. It wasn't really capable of main healing a tank, but it was more healing than shadow priests used to do before they changed Vampiric Embrace.

Edited by Storm

First idea: I would make it so that any encounter requires quite a fair bit of jumping around, because I don't think there's enough jumping in the game. With the current state of the game, I wonder why we're even allowed to jump.

Second idea: I would make a lot more encounters that really test players' awareness. I'd even make encounters where the only goal is to survive the fight, not necessarily kill a monster or something.

Third idea: I would remove the Encounter Journal.

• Like 2

Third idea: I would remove the Encounter Journal.

Step one: Eliminate the competition.

I got a good chuckle when I realized why you would want the journal removed.

I don't even use the Dungeon Journal for the abilities the boss does. DBM does that for me. Dungeon Journal should be called "Loot Journal" because that's what most people use it for.

Crazy Idea: Free realm transfers. Now, hear me out.

Currently you can transfer every 3 days at the cost of $25 per character. It's an automated feature that Blizzard uses to generate extra income. All is nice, but Blizzard is actually losing players when they log into an empty realm, decide they don't want to pay to leave, and quit the game. For every person who quits, they need to generate 1 transfer per month that person is gone to break even on lost cost. I think last quarter they lost some 2M subscribers? Anyone want to bet this would drop DRASTICALLY if you could move around servers? Servers are an archaic idea, anyways.

Here's how I propose it would work. You get one free transfer per character every 60 days. The current opposing view to it being free is it would create a lack of identity on a server and people would act foolish and in poor character knowing they could just swap servers with no penalty. Locking a character to a server for 60 days would prevent this and make players think about where they were going. For those with alts, each character is tied to its own 60 day CD on realm transfers and you can only do 3 characters per 60 days. There could also be a level requirement such as 85 or 90 to reduce the amount of server transfers being done. Things this would solve:

1) Low population realms. Currently, there are LOTS of realms where you log in, can't find a group to do anything but LFR, lose interest in the game, and people give up. With a free transfer, you have no one but yourself to blame if you stay on a dead server.

2) Lopsided servers. I'm looking at you, Mal'Ganis and Sargeras. What if Blizzard incentivized players on dead servers to transfer to these, but only on a particular faction? For example, let's say Blizzard wants more Alliance on Mal'Ganis and more Horde on Sargeras. Blizzard could offer a satchel equivalent to the tank/healer Call to Arms bonus for transferring in order to balance things. Obviously you'd want to cap server population (wouldn't want Sargeras to all move to Mal'Ganis), but this would make for interesting transfers. If you were weary about moving, maybe the satchel would be a slight incentive to do something already free.

3) Not being able to play with your friends during current content. I personally am frustrated that I can't PvP with my buddies because I joined a guild on another server. They're on a dead PvP server and would love to come to mine, but paying the money isn't worth it. This would make forming groups of players who want to play together much easier.

• Like 2

First idea: I would make it so that any encounter requires quite a fair bit of jumping around, because I don't think there's enough jumping in the game. With the current state of the game, I wonder why we're even allowed to jump.

Yes! Wish there was a lot more complex movement encounters. Firelands dailies & that one stone jumping thing on isle of thunder is the only jumping I remember. Was there a dungeon boss or raid boss (old content) that required jumping to clear stacks or something?

Second idea: I would make a lot more encounters that really test players' awareness. I'd even make encounters where the only goal is to survive the fight, not necessarily kill a monster or something.

Durumu?? LOL. I know where you were going with that and love that idea. I miss fights like Valithria, Gunship Battle & The Faction Champions. Fights that were just unique and different.

Zagam, that would really be great. Hopefully (if not in this game) the next, servers (other than regional) will be a thing of the past.

• Like 1

Yes! Wish there was a lot more complex movement encounters. Firelands dailies & that one stone jumping thing on isle of thunder is the only jumping I remember. Was there a dungeon boss or raid boss (old content) that required jumping to clear stacks or something?

Durumu?? LOL. I know where you were going with that and love that idea. I miss fights like Valithria, Gunship Battle & The Faction Champions. Fights that were just unique and different.

Zagam, that would really be great. Hopefully (if not in this game) the next, servers (other than regional) will be a thing of the past.

You had to jump on Nefarian to get back on your platform. That proved too hard for many :P

• Like 2

Ever do heroic? Not only did people have to jump ON to the platform, they had to jump OFF then back ON when they got that exploding debuff. FUN TIMES FOR ALL HEROIC NEF PROGRESSION -_-

• Like 1

I really wish they would change dps design to where your dps was related directly to your health.  100% health = 100% dps, 50% health = 50% dps, etc... 

This could serve a couple of purposes.  1. Survival and awareness would be directly related to your dps (LFR dumb asses beware).  2. Self healing (that Blizz seems so keen on) could be promoted into rotations.  3. Heals could become much more decision making processes (do you heal the guy at 50% health to increase dps or save the guy close to death?)

I still think a system with slow moving health bars and better healer decision making would be more enjoyable.  One where any overhealing would virtually not exist but also characters not taking 25%+ health swings.

Also a big fan of every stat giving diminishing returns to bring back some true theory crafting and stop stat stacking.

And I want stackable buffs with 50%(ish) diminishing returns.  1st paly gives 3000 mastery buff, 2nd 1500 additional, etc..

• Like 1

That'd be hard to implement. I mean, you have classes that have such great damage reduction abilities.

No offence, but your healing idea is awful. The whole reason I love healing is because it's NOT like a DPS class, the react and plan ahead, instead of (what seems most DPS classes are nowadays) facerolls.

Oh and remove bloodlust/timewarp as class abilities.  (Gonna get some hate there.)  :)

BL/TW should be a general abilitiy useable only by the raid/dungeon leader.  It would reduce raid comp requirements and this would aide LFR as a side benefit (no more idiots TW on trash).

I like your idea for stacking buffs with diminishing returns, but I would say there should be an added requirement that they come from different classes. So if you have a Paladin that buffs 5% stats, a monk could then buff 2% stats, and then druid mark would give 1%.

But then also every class should have at least 3 buffs they can bring to the raid, but only be able to buff at most 2 of them at the same time. That way it doesn't force groups to have 10 different classes for buffs, but it still forces some group diversity. and gives some benefit to having multiples of the same class.

I feel like healing is turning back into the Wrath of the Lich King spam style again. Mana is barely an issue, and it's all about predicting spike damage and healing with everything you've got to keep everyone alive. I do agree that something needs to be done to a.) put more responsibility on the dps to avoid damage and b.) make the healers worry more about the efficiency of their heals.

The biggest problem with redesigning healing is that incoming burst damage is a fun mechanic, but in order for healers to deal with burst damage they need spells which effectively trivialize minor incoming damage. and if you remove hard hitting heals then it really is nothing more than a reverse dps race where their health bars are slowly draining and you're working through your heal rotation to keep it full. The only way to really compromise is to make every healer play sort of like how a shaman is currently. and their healing "rotation" is fairly weak, but they all have strong cooldowns for burst phases.