FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
KRULL

K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid)

We all know how super intelligent your guys are and how important it is to impress one another and confuse the rest of us, buuuuuuuuuuuut... the information would so much easier to assimulate and put to good use if you..K.I.S.S....KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!!  Couldnt you start off with saying these are APPROXIMATE percentages you should shoot for in your stats -mastery 65% thennnn if you reall need to massage your ego you can go into the other nonsense.  Ive read your guides many times over the years but never understood why you had to make it so hard to get the point across and offer valuable information.

thanks again and keep up the good work just remember you dont have to impress us 

41 minutes ago, KRULL said:

We all know how super intelligent your guys are and how important it is to impress one another and confuse the rest of us, buuuuuuuuuuuut... the information would so much easier to assimulate and put to good use if you..K.I.S.S....KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!!  Couldnt you start off with saying these are APPROXIMATE percentages you should shoot for in your stats -mastery 65% thennnn if you reall need to massage your ego you can go into the other nonsense.  Ive read your guides many times over the years but never understood why you had to make it so hard to get the point across and offer valuable information.

thanks again and keep up the good work just remember you dont have to impress us 

Hi there!

Firstly, I'd like to point you towards our new Site Feedback forums. I'll be moving this post there as soon as I am done. 

I apologise that you feel our guides are too in-depth. I'm going to use an example to make my point here, namely the Fury Warrior.

The current stat priority lists Haste to 11% as the highest priority for secondary stats. If we were to use the less detailed approach, one of two things would happen:

1. We could list Haste as top priority with no percentage listed. Players would stack Haste, having no idea when to stop. They would keep pushing for full Haste gear, underperform and then go visit another site. Here they would find the haste breakpoint, an extremely important piece of information. Why didn't Icy Veins have this? Their guide is wrong.
  2. We could use an approximate percentage. Let's go for a nice number, 10% perhaps? 10% doesn't do us any good. It isn't 11%. You need another 1% and without it, the haste breakpoint isn't met. Your DPS will suffer and once again, our information is wrong. Let's go higher! Let's take another nice number, 15% perhaps? You're now being told to waste stats that could otherwise be allocated for more damage. We will be once again, wrong.

There should be a theme appearing here. Icy Veins was founded upon the idea of trying to allow players to perform as well as they can with simple information. We want people to do as well as possible, we want them to be topping those DPS meters. You'll notice that we actually do use approximate percentages, but only where it is applicable. Our Fury guide states:

Critical Strike (until roughly 25%, if you have the 4-Part Tier 17 Set Bonus, and 30%, if you have the 4-Part Tier 18 Set Bonus)

Roughly.

This is because Crit is still a good stat and is still worth going for, so it doesn't matter if your character sits at 31% with the Tier 18 bonus. 

We use Icy Veins to help others when they need information, always aiming to find the best solution when giving information to players.

Thanks for your comment and enjoy our in-depth guides.

Icy Veins is actually one of the sites that is keeping it the most simple (while still maintaining a high quality). Have you ever been to a dedicated class site/forum and seen how it looks like? There are topics full of maths, dedicated to calculating possibilities and discussing simulations; there are also topics with walls of texts breaking down stuff like talents for specific boss encounters, how to micro-manage your rotation etc. It's pretty chaotic, but that's what you have to read if you want to master your class at full extent.

Now, we have Furty, who will be writing guides for some classes (see for example the Destruction Warlock one). As you can see, the new type of guide is definitely more detailed (imo Warlock is one of the most challenging classes in WoW), but at the same time it remains accessible to normal players or people who don't care about becoming the very best in their class. Maybe the presentation could be improved slightly (for example, bullet points instead of just text), but I am pretty sure that it's hard to find something simpler in text form elsewhere.

• Like 1

This guides are so simple. I'm from germany and have to translate while reading it and I can understand it! :D

And I'm not the best person reading/speaking aaaand writing english. :D

• Like 1