FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ItsDave

first time healing- disc versus holy, which to choose?

After lvling up my alt priest in shadow spec, I thnk I want to give healing a shot. Which of the two healing spec, would be "easier", "more refogiving" and better suited for someone who have been a tank since 2005, being in ranged during encounters has been a big enough change for me, so i don't want too much sensory overload.I'm going to start out healing dungeons with the guild at first then see how it goes from there. Any achieve would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try them both out and see which you prefer. Disc us nice since it prevents a lot if dmg and does some damage, but holy is good too for direct heals.

Just see what feels better.

Disc is a very fussy spec and it depends a lot on being able to switch between nuking and healing. You can make your life easier with targetoftarget macros so that you can Holy Fire the boss while watching your healing target, but I still prefer playing Holy because they're excellent reactive healers. You don't always know how people will behave in raids, and if you're quick on the draw, as Holy you can tip the scales and prevent deaths.

Holy is more like healing healer. And dc priest is not so obvious to play. I think it is easier to start with holy priest.

Try them both out, they each have a different personality. I made my priest Discipline back in the BC era, and haven't changed. Disc suits my personality so much more than Holy. And don't take that to mean Holy is bad/worse in any way shape or form. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages to each.

I play disc now on my priest just because I usually have higher healing output, but it can be difficult at first to learn when to attonement heal, when to direct heal, and when to pop spirit shell and pre-bubble everyone before predictable raid damage.

Holy priests have always been one of my favorite healers to play though, and they're fairly easy to learn. They do have the most spells of any healer, but it's a good thing. Basically no matter what the situation you have a heal in your spellbook specifically tailored for that situation.