vaidab

Why did Trump mulligan the Knife Juggler?

8 posts in this topic

Why did Trump mulligan the Juggler at 9:07 ? I find that later in games it's more about hero power + top decking or playing 1/2 minions while juggling early could be useful with the minions that you get from the deck until you use it (turn 2-3).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hunter has so many answers to Juggler, so mulliganing was a wise decision on his part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vaidab said:
Why did Trump mulligan the Juggler at 9:07 ? I find that later in games it's more about hero power + top decking or playing 1/2 minions while juggling early could be useful with the minions that you get from the deck until you use it (turn 2-3).

Given that the Hunter goes first, you have to remember what Trump's options are. He already has a solid play for turn 1 and 2. He has a choice of either Peddler or Juggler on turn 2. Given that the Hunter goes first, the Hunter will be able to immediately play Eaglehorn Bow, the easiest answer to Juggler. In reality, if he had kept Juggler and played it, he would have barely got any use from it.

It's better to save it and then play it with some of the other cards in his deck, such as Forbidden Ritual and Imp Gang Boss.

My opinion, at least in regards to this specific match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the answer, it really makes sense now.

I'm learning the ins and outs of Zoo now and I found another thing that bothers me:

At 9:37 why is he using mortal coil on the 1/1 instead of the healing totem? If Shaman plays Feral Spirit, weapon, etc he is in a bad spot while killing the 1/1 doesn't win anything because it doesn't help killing the Juggler and the possessed villager doesn't die that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vaidab said:

Thank you for the answer, it really makes sense now.

I'm learning the ins and outs of Zoo now and I found another thing that bothers me:

At 9:37 why is he using mortal coil on the 1/1 instead of the healing totem? If Shaman plays Feral Spirit, weapon, etc he is in a bad spot while killing the 1/1 doesn't win anything because it doesn't help killing the Juggler and the possessed villager doesn't die that easy.

He's playing Zoo (so he has a lot of small minions), the Healing Totem had nothing to heal, except itself while the 1/1 could have killed one of his minions. In particular, you want the Possessed Villaged to either live or leave its token behind, so that you have something on the board the next turn. With the 1/1 Totem left on the board, changes are higher that you'll be left with nothing the next turn.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not losing possessed villager is actually a big deal. 0/2 doesn't add anything to the board on its own since Zoo usually goes over the top while killing stuff, and doesn't do trades over multiple turns, so Healing is a nonfactor mostly.

Leaving a board position where your opponent has to add something to change it is a common practice. That's exactly the case.

Also watching Trump doesn't teach you the way playing the deck is. Especially when your deck is about basic interactions that can't be really written down in a guide or ever seen in 3rd person view. IMO.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the situation from the picture, with Ragnaros on board I played: Abusive on Abusive, killed Ragnaros with abusive and flame, played posessed villager on the left board and then summoned the tentacles.
This left me with: 1 Posessed, 1 Abusive, 1 Wolf, 5 tentables on board.

I won the game but I'm still wondering if there was a better play.

My opponent could have had another lightning or a taunt.

Is there a better play?

One option would have been to use Power Overwhelming + abusive on Flame Juggler, kill Ragnaros and play Possessed Villager.
This would have left me with: 1 Abusive, Posessed, Wolf, Abusive on board.

On another note, on his twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc/v/69777385 I was watching him play Zoo and at 25:24 he is playing Forbidden Ritual. I would have played the wolf + pillager as the ghoul/whirlind wouldn't have cleared the board.  What am I missing? If he had a weapon I would still be left with 1 minion..
 

good move tentacles.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4.6.2016 at 10:47 PM, vaidab said:

In the situation from the picture, with Ragnaros on board I played: Abusive on Abusive, killed Ragnaros with abusive and flame, played posessed villager on the left board and then summoned the tentacles.
This left me with: 1 Posessed, 1 Abusive, 1 Wolf, 5 tentables on board.

I won the game but I'm still wondering if there was a better play.

My opponent could have had another lightning or a taunt.

Is there a better play?

One option would have been to use Power Overwhelming + abusive on Flame Juggler, kill Ragnaros and play Possessed Villager.
This would have left me with: 1 Abusive, Posessed, Wolf, Abusive on board.

On another note, on his twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc/v/69777385 I was watching him play Zoo and at 25:24 he is playing Forbidden Ritual. I would have played the wolf + pillager as the ghoul/whirlind wouldn't have cleared the board.  What am I missing? If he had a weapon I would still be left with 1 minion..
 

good move tentacles.png

I think I would've cleared Ragnaros the same way, but kept the ritual as the board was still threatening enough, so it wasn't needed to go all-in there. As you mentioned, If he played a second lightning storm it could've cost you the game.

When it comes to Trumps decision: As a Zoo player you want as much value from your wolf as possible, so you don't just play it as a free to kill minion without any value in the turn you play it. And you need to play the ritual at one point anyways and risk any whirlwind effect. So to get real value from the wolf (as Trump was able to get to clear the taunt) it is totally right to play it earlier.
I mean it was not the nicest turn anyways, but he chose the least bad option imho.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By WayneManship
      OK so I just purchased the League of Explorers adventure and have gained some pretty interesting cards. I play a Deathrattle/Beast Hunter and it seemed as though several of the new cards could really offer some interesting new dynamics to my deck. I messed around with a few different combinations but had some difficulty finding just the right arrangement. So naturally I turned to the forums and deck lists to get some ideas and there was nothing. No Hunter decks with LoE cards and no threads addressing this. Thus, i pose unto you, the vast and varying strategic geniuses of Icy-Veins,  these questions. What, if anything, does LoE offer the Hunter class? Has anyone managed to create a successful hunter deck incorporating LoE cards? And if the consensus is that LoE has nothing of significance to offer the hunter class, why the inclusion of so many beast cards with this adventure pack? As always, all opinions are greatly appreciated.
    • By duckmaster123
      So I don't own Naxxramas, but I do own most cards required for Control Priest. I also don't own Justicar. What cards would you replace Deathlord and Zombie Chow with?
    • By tcreaglesclaw
      Hello everybody! I'm working on getting cards for the Shaman Legendary Malygos Combo deck here on Icy Veins (http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-shaman-malygos-combo-brm-deck) and also the staple Midrange Shaman cards like Defender of Argus and Dr. Boom. However, I don't have a lot of dust to craft legendaries and I don't want to make two expensive decks because it would take forever. The Malygos deck looks very fun to play but loses a lot because it sucks on board the entire game. I'd like to make it more consistent by making it more board-oriented, and that means running cards like haunted creeper, nerubian egg, flametongue totem, fire elemental, etc.
       
      One of the few advantages of this hybrid is that your opponent would think that you're running a standard Shaman deck but then when turn 10 comes around you just yolo and otk 30 damage in one turn and scare your opponent and make them piss their pants. 
       
      However, I'm not an expert like Sottle and I suck at deckbuilding, so I would like the community's help in putting together a consistent list that combines a standard Midrange Shaman deck with Malygos Shaman. I think this brew will be very interesting and fun to play, so I am looking forward to what you guys have to say. Thanks! 
    • By Erbem
      Hey! I've been playing Hearthstone for about 5 months and i've made this deck which i think is decent. Any tips for improving? I have all the adventure cards!
      Try to not include any legendary cards because i only have about 5 dust, thank you and here it is:
       
       

    • By tomSeliX
      Hi friends of Hearthstone !
       
      I am inviting you to my channel http://www.twitch.tv/tomselix
      where i mainly stream Hearthstone . At the moment my maximum rank was 8  and 8-2 score in the arena.
      I'm trying to interact with my viewers as much as i can play some fun music and listen to advices from more experienced players and friends.
       
      Hope you can come by and give me some advice or help me reach more wins in arena.  You are warmly welcomed !
       
      This is just a short video made a month ago. A preview so you can see the channel overlay. I know the commentary is bad and repetitive but I am practicing on my commentary on a daily basis ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTNEwci-J5E
       
      Hope to see you, and enjoy your Hearthstone battles ! ;)