Peelyon

wow Gold Making: Transmog Farming - Razorfen Downs

7 posts in this topic

Razorfen Downs holds some valuable items! Just don't forget to open those chests!

i6ihDOw.jpg

Welcome to my transmog farming guide for the Razorfen Downs.  This dungeon instance holds a few valuable surprises as well as some general transmog items that you can sell.  If you're new to transmog farming then you may want to check out my Beginners guide to transmog first!

Location: On the border between Southern Barrens and the Thousand Needles (it shows on the Thousand Needles map)

Mob Level: ~Level 44 elite

Average LIV / hour: 10k-20k (although a valuable item can raise this considerably)

Notable Items: ManslayerManslayer (~30k), Quillward HarnessQuillward Harness (~30k), Thoughtcast BootsThoughtcast Boots (~40k)

How To Get There

Roe6Xwy.png

The instance entrance is located at (47,23). Note these co-ordinates are for Thousand Needles not the Barrens.  If you are flying you can drop through the "branches" above straight to the entrance.

For horde players it isn't too far to fly from Thunderbluff or Orgrimmar, for alliance players a portal may be required to cut travel time (Theramore, Uldum and Caverns of Time).

The Route

There are a number of "invisible" walls that prevent you from continuing the instance without first killing the bosses.  Due to the fact you can't run through the entire instance until you have done this I recommend doing a full clear.  If you are unfamiliar with the instance itself don't worry, the path is pretty linear.  Just follow the path and if you hit a "wall" then you've missed a boss.  If in doubt check out this absolutely first class map with high quality detailing. 

a4PHIve.jpg

The Items

As with many other transmog farming areas there are a wide range of green items that can drop from this instance.   The majority of the items that hold value are the rare blue drops.  These can range from 8k to 40k+ depending on your particular server.  I have tried to be quite conservative with the potential looted item value per hour as these higher value items are rare, but I have known players to hit a potential 100k worth of items to sell with just an hour or so of farming.

As always a little bit of luck is needed not only for these items to drop, but to have someone on your server who wishes to purchase it as well.  I don't normally sell transmog items in trade chat very often, but if you do manage to obtain one of the rarer pieces it may be worth barking in trade occasionally to let players know you have one available!

Chests

As you can see from the map I have tried to indicate possible chest locations.  On average there are two chests available in each instance, however they spawn randomly.  It is EXTREMELY important that you are opening as many chests as possible!  These chests do contain extra transmog items but more importantly there is a very small chance of it containing Pattern: Star BeltPattern: Star Belt which is arguably one of the rarest recipes available in game.  It's current "value" is estimated to be in the region of 80k gold.  If you do manage to obtain this recipe I would start offering it around the 100k mark.

As the location of the chests are pretty random they generally have a chance to spawn in the huts around the Spiral of Thorns (the last section of the instance).  Make sure you check inside every one of them as some are easy to miss if you just run by.

qjhZPJe.png

There is a fair chance that these chests are locked, so wherever possible try and farm this instance on a rogue or have a character that can use profession items such as  Locksmith's PowderkegLocksmith's Powderkeg for Engineers and Ghostly Skeleton KeyGhostly Skeleton Key for Blacksmiths.

Efficiency

To speed up your runs, make sure you are using the exit indicated on the map.  It saves you running all the way back through the instance and keeps you overall times down.

As you need to kill the bosses to make your way through the instance you will probably be picking up a considerable amount of soulbound gear with very little vendor value.  Outside the instance itself you can mount up, so having a vendor mount will help keep those bags clean and keep you farming.  The chests contain a lot of random junk as well that will fill your bags up a lot quicker than possibly other instance farms would so just keep this in mind!

I have created a quick video guide below if anyone wishes to have a quick look at the route (I get lucky with a drop on my second run too!).  Apologies for the poor quality!

Wrap Up

This concludes the farming guide for Razorfen Downs.  If you have yet to try this instance then give it a go, it will help you increase your transmog portfolio and if your'e lucky you may get one of the higher ticket items!

As always let me know of any of your successes and if you have any questions about this guide or any other guides then make sure you get in touch in the gold making forums which can be found here!

1 person likes this

Really love these guides, keep them coming!

1 person likes this

"Gold Making"? That must be a joke. Notable Items: ManslayerManslayer (~30k), Quillward HarnessQuillward Harness (~30k), Thoughtcast BootsThoughtcast Boots (~40k)??? WTF??? There are so many similar items easily to obtain. Nobody pays for that shit. And it is old school Transmogg. Looks so ugly. Thats ridiculous. If you have some idiots on your server, who pay so much gold for that, GRATULATIONS TO YOU! Bring them to my Server. I have a lot of crap to sell, too. :)

17 minutes ago, Golddust said:

"Gold Making"? That must be a joke. Notable Items: ManslayerManslayer (~30k), Quillward HarnessQuillward Harness (~30k), Thoughtcast BootsThoughtcast Boots (~40k)??? WTF??? There are so many similar items easily to obtain. Nobody pays for that shit. And it is old school Transmogg. Looks so ugly. Thats ridiculous. If you have some idiots on your server, who pay so much gold for that, GRATULATIONS TO YOU! Bring them to my Server. I have a lot of crap to sell, too. :)

People do pay for that, that's the very reason why we started this series with Gold Making guides. Don't ask me why they do, because I know I would never spend Gold on transmog, but every player is different and is enjoying the game in a different way :)

Something that never fails to confuse me when it comes to doing old(er) dungeons/raids: What difficulty? (and why?)

5 hours ago, Golddust said:

Hey Golddust

All the prices I'm listing in the guides are based on the average prices that players list the items for.  I appreciate that this isnt always possible on every server (and to reach this top end price may indeed take a long time even on servers where this price is achievable).

However to dismiss an items value just because you feel that it "looks so ugly" doesn't mean that it isn't the perfect match for a certain players transmog.  With so much gold currently available in game, paying 40k for a particular item isn't that unheard of at all.  You may even find you can list these items at half the current "value" and other gold makers / speculators will perceive to be grabbing a bargain and you still get paid a hefty chunk.

These transmog farming guides are just an option for players who wish to diversify their current gold making techniques and perhaps get into a new market and gain some new transmog stock that they may never have previously considered.

I have tried to explain the term "looted item value" in the beginner's guide to transmog that may shed a little bit more light on the whole process of farming for items to sell to players for transmog purposes.

Hope that helps and good luck in the gold making!

4 hours ago, PaasHaaS said:

Something that never fails to confuse me when it comes to doing old(er) dungeons/raids: What difficulty? (and why?)

Yup all these lower level dungeons are possible to be completed by pretty much any character and obviously for the old world dungeons such as this they are only available on normal difficulty if thats what you meant.