advice Fury Warrior Rage Pooling

4 posts in this topic

Hey, guys!

So my question isn't directly related to my DPS numbers, I feel as though I'm hitting that about right for my gear at the moment ( I hit level 100 about two weeks ago and I've had some experience with Protection Warriors in the past. As it stands my DPS is about 40k single target and 55k AoE (Hellfire Assault, Kormrok) with assorted pieces from mythic dungeons and such, I don't think I can push it much higher without 4 set, legendary ring, Empty Drinking Horn and my class trinket, but please correct me if I'm wrong because I really need to get my DPS as high as I can.

So, my question is this: I've heard a lot about rage pooling for certain situations and I generally spend rage as I get it, is rage pooling something that is still done in WoD and if it is how do I go about doing it effectively? I feel bad if I miss a GCD where I could have hit an ability (whilst enraged) so I just want to know if any of you have any advice on the matter. especially just before and during the execute phase!

Thanks for your time.

Hey Kizr; welcome to the Icy Veins forum board!

To address your question, it really depends. The only time I actively pool rage (if it's even needed) is prior to an execute phase. In my specific situation, however, it usually doesn't take but 1 - 2 GCDs to get up enough rage: (I never go to cap; I don't want rage wasted, obviously).

So, with that in  mind, it's nice to float around 100 rage or so and then use up your procs and throw in a Wild Strike to dump your rage so you don't cap. Maintain your priority and when you notice you're about to hit 20%, gauge your rage gain and see if you can be around 100 - 110 rage at the 20% mark, make sure you're enraged, and spam Execute. That's about the only time I can see why you would need to actively pool rage.

Once you obtain your necessary gear... rage will come very quickly and you'll often find yourself spamming just to avoid capping. Right now it may not seem that way. The alternative advice would be don't drain your rage pool so much that you're wasting GCDs just to get rage; try to make it float so you always have enough to spend but you're not capped, either.

I hope this answers your question and, should you have anymore, don't hesitate to ask.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the fast reply and welcome Sajakain!

That really clears up a lot for me thanks, I remember reading an awful lot about rage pooling back in the day and now it all seems to be gone for the most part so I was wondering if it plays as big a factor as it used to.

Rage generation is a tad slow for me at the moment but as you pointed out if it increases it's not going to be an issue anyway, so I'll definitely give your suggestions a go.

I also really appreciate you taking the time to answer what must seem to be an obvious solution.

Edited by Kizr

Fury, unfortunately (and as previously said) no longer activly needs to pool rage for effectivness. The reason we used to pool rage is for the collossus smash debuff. We could trigger an enrage, collossus and then blow everything inside the window for outrageous numbers. Since the removal of collossus smash in fury, we have become a very... smack whatever lights up class. Is there still some forethought needed? Yes, very much so. However, fury generation has become easy and should be spent as fast as you can until the boss hits 21% then you wait a couple seconds and spam execute (and bloodthirst to stay enraged).