FORUMS

You can't know for sure, but there are usually 2 or 3 common archetypes per class, so you can make assumptions based on what you've recently been facing on the ladder.

There are certain cards that are "signature" to an archetype - seeing them basically means you're up against that deck.

For example, if my warrior opponent opens up with an Alexstraza's Champion, it's pretty obvious it's a Dragon Warrior deck. If he plays, let's say, Armorsmith - it's a Tempo Warrior deck, because no other Warrior decks run that card at the moment. 

But don't let that telegraph get you very hard : some decks share their openers while being different core strategies. Midrange Shaman has the same starts of Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem and Flame Juggler, yet he can very easily catch you off guard with a Lightning Storm you never saw coming, based on the assumption it's Aggro Shaman. 

That metagame knowledge about what's common to include it a certain deck is essential to playing around those cards, and eventually winning games. That's why sites like Icy Veins are so important if you want to improve your gameplay.

• Like 1

Hi Paracel,

Didnt see your reply till after id posted my reply so i guess just playing and playing is the way forward then so if you are playing your deck you cant really combat what is happening until you figure out what the opponent is doing?

You could also perhaps factor in mulligans. For example, if a Warlock discards no cards, this means one of two things:

• Slow deck that has good removal and good cards.
  • Fast deck that has plenty of options for early plays.

If they then take their first turn and don't play a minion, they must be playing a slow deck, or aren't playing the fast deck properly. If they didn't have a 1-drop ready, they would have used their mulligan to find one.

@BlainieI think the term is mulligan, not discard.
@DAMBUSTERThe most reliable way is to memorize all decks (which is what I did), but that can be way too time consuming. Easier way is memorizing cards specific to each (popular) deck, just like Paracel recommended. The fastest, but least reliable way is learning aggro/control cards and then play accordingly to counter deck's main strategy, but that doesn't tell you anything which cards you will face. I have also heard of some 3rd party programs that have "library" of cards specific to each deck, but I haven't tried them yet, so I can't personally recommend them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAMBUSTER said:

if you are playing your deck you cant really combat what is happening until you figure out what the opponent is doing?

Sort of. 

That play around sense is a key component of skill in TCG, and of course in virtual space of Hearthstone it is much harder. Just use the clues you have (Blainie made a very good point, mulligan phase is also hella important, I hope they do something to this).

My personal school of thought coming from 6 years of TCG experience is to assume that the opponent is bringing their A-Game and every play is going to be the most powerful in given situation. If you can beat their best card, you can probably do fine if they actually don't have it. :) And if they have it, well, at least you've already done something to make it less destructive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, positiv2 said:

@BlainieI think the term is mulligan, not discard.
@DAMBUSTERThe most reliable way is to memorize all decks (which is what I did), but that can be way too time consuming. Easier way is memorizing cards specific to each (popular) deck, just like Paracel recommended. The fastest, but least reliable way is learning aggro/control cards and then play accordingly to counter deck's main strategy, but that doesn't tell you anything which cards you will face. I have also heard of some 3rd party programs that have "library" of cards specific to each deck, but I haven't tried them yet, so I can't personally recommend them.

I'm choosing not to edit it, just to make sure you gain reputation for noting my shameful mistake.

• Like 2