Damien

Heroes of the Storm Gul'dan

13 posts in this topic

Rampant Hellfire stacks with the amount of heroes you hit. If you hit 3 at once you get instantly 3 stacks.

On 8/13/2016 at 11:08 AM, Guest Rampant Hellfire said:

Rampant Hellfire stacks with the amount of heroes you hit. If you hit 3 at once you get instantly 3 stacks.

Great point! I completely overlooked that when I made my initial write up. I went ahead and fixed the error as well as made some changes to the talents page for the balance update on August 24th. Thanks for the heads up!

-MK

In my experience, a more Fel Flame oriented build has worked better. That is to say, Pursuit of Flame level 1, Hunger for Power (or conceivably Bound by Shadow) level 7, Fel Armor if necessary at level 13 (otherwise Healthstone), and Rampant Hellfire level 16. 

I think the build you posted here is probably more powerful for very good Gul'Dan players, but you should maybe include the above build as an "intro to Gul'Dan" build for those newer to the hero. Not only it is waaaaaaay easier (getting the Pursuit of Flame quest to activate is much easier than Corruption since it's on such a short cd), but it also focuses on what should be Gul'Dan's most important spell (Fel Flame) and can still output good damage. It also helps with one of Gul'Dan's biggest weaknesses: range. A 10% bonus isn't anything to write home about, but it does allow Gul'Dan to play just a little safer, which seems paramount for a hero that essentially casts spells with his health, especially for those new to playing him. I wouldn't use it at higher level play, but I also wouldn't use Gul'Dan at higher level play. 

Just some food for thought.

This site has really fallen behind as of late. Does this reflect a waning interest in the game?

3 hours ago, Guest JIM said:

This site has really fallen behind as of late. Does this reflect a waning interest in the game?

What do you mean? Could you perhaps elaborate on why you believe we have fallen behind?

4 hours ago, Guest JIM said:

HotS section is currently being worked on and you should see a revamp soon™ [src]. Make sure to check back every once in a while to see when the revamp is done!

Hey Jim,

Would truly love to hear more specific feedback on your thoughts. In regards to the currently available content for Gul'dan, all of it should be up to date. Like Positiv has already mentioned, all of the guides are being updated to the most recent patches alongside being transferred over to an entirely new format. Although I will be out of town away from my computer for a few days (11/10-11/13), Gul'dan is next on my list to transfer and should be good to go shortly! 

-MK

1 person likes this

Is there a reason why there's no Life Drain build at all?
I see each talent upgrade has notes on Life Drain talents, but I see nothing concrete on how well or bad focusing on Life Drain is. I'm very curious on the matter.

On 12/24/2016 at 6:50 AM, Guest Vilecat said:

Is there a reason why there's no Life Drain build at all?
I see each talent upgrade has notes on Life Drain talents, but I see nothing concrete on how well or bad focusing on Life Drain is. I'm very curious on the matter.

Hey VileCat!

In short, the reason there is currently no Drain Life build is that (at the time of this writing) it would be much weaker and easily outclassed by both other build paths, given Gul'dan's role in the meta. With the exception of Devour the Frail, all other Talent options surrounding Drain Life only provide Gul'dan additional utility, not raw damage output. Although there are some very specific situations where the utility provided by one or two of these Talents may benefit Gul'dan, it is often times not worth sacrificing his damage for these talents, especially since his greatest strength lies in his ability to quickly tear apart enemy teams from a distance. Also, Drain Life can be very easily mitigated by the targeted enemy via movement/positioning, stuns, or reliable heals. Putting too much weight into this ability can heavily cripple Gul'dan's overall performance. I'm always open to discussion, so feel free to let me know your thoughts!

Happy Holidays!

-MK

Thank you for the answer!

I never went full Life Drain since it's indeed easy to interrupt, but the few talents I'd grab for it would allow me more sustainability, or that's what I feel. I've never been able to constantly harrass with a Fel Flame build with Varian or Butcher ready to jump at me. I have yet to give the Corruption build enough plays to really say how I feel about it. In terms of talents, the build I went for looks like 2, 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1.  I guess it's more of an all-around build than Life-drain focused. 

On 12/26/2016 at 10:33 PM, Micekrispies said:

Hey VileCat!

In short, the reason there is currently no Drain Life build is that (at the time of this writing) it would be much weaker and easily outclassed by both other build paths, given Gul'dan's role in the meta. With the exception of Devour the Frail, all other Talent options surrounding Drain Life only provide Gul'dan additional utility, not raw damage output. Although there are some very specific situations where the utility provided by one or two of these Talents may benefit Gul'dan, it is often times not worth sacrificing his damage for these talents, especially since his greatest strength lies in his ability to quickly tear apart enemy teams from a distance. Also, Drain Life can be very easily mitigated by the targeted enemy via movement/positioning, stuns, or reliable heals. Putting too much weight into this ability can heavily cripple Gul'dan's overall performance. I'm always open to discussion, so feel free to let me know your thoughts!

Happy Holidays!

-MK

Hello,

New to the game, but mostly because of Gul'dan during the "play every hero" weekend. The first build I made, and have been sticking with, is the Drain Life build. Admittedly, I'm a newb, but with focus on Drain Life and Darkness Within. 

My reasoning, and strategy, is to utilize minions to keep health/mana as full as possible at all times. Using LIfe Tap to do extra damage, and against Heroes specifically, it heals more due to Harvest Life, allowing you the advantage in a heads up fight, especially if you get them below half for Devour the Frail to kick in. Yes, Heroes can and do walk away from you, but ambushing half-health or lower heroes (even if Gul'dan's health is getting low) works pretty well. Even if they're not quite to half, most don't realize how quickly that ramped up damge from Devour the Frail hits. 

This is just my experience and I've only been playing this weekend. I came here to learn how to use him better, not pretend I know how. That said, I've had better luck with my strategy than the Corruption build, but I think it's a combination of 1) My playstyle and 2) Not enough practice with Corruption. 

I did just want to point out my experience for anyone considering a Drain LIfe build, but unsure how to make it work. My number one advice is to not ignore enemy Minions. They're great fodder to keep Drain Life off CD (resets every time it kills someone), and keeping your health and mana fairly topped off as you go for the heroes/structures to win the game.

I find that the drain life build is most effective versus enemy compositions that mostly contain divers such as Illidan who can easily dodge your other abilities.  Talenting for drain life allows you undodgeable survivability and damage that can allow you to stall for your team and it is also very effective at baiting enemies who think they have enough dps to kill you.  That said, drain life undoubtedly does less damage than Gul'Dan's other builds, and you don't really want to pick him into a dive comp in the first place.  

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor