FORUMS
Damien

Shadow Priest 7.3

On 8/18/2016 at 5:06 PM, DaltonIsPanda said:

I'm sure there will be an update soon, but is Surrender to Madness still the optimal talent after the nerf?

Yes, mostly because of how little a DPS increase Legacy and Mind Spike are.

Guest Faipies

2 questions:

1. Do i have to consider ticks of mind flay or do I just hit the Void Bolt/Mind Blast as soon as it is off Cooldown?

2. Void Bolt is on CD for 2 seconds, MB is on CD for ~1.6 seconds - do i use MB first or do i wait for the VB and Midflay in the meantime?

Guest Denosya

Coming back after a 6 month break... This guide is exceptional! Thank a lot!

Guest ReturningPriest

I am coming back after a 1+ year break and things have obviously changed.  After using this guide as a base and putting my talent points back and in adjusting my bars I did a quick test on the dummy in my garrison.

At 726 gear level and with ZERO buffs/pots I am outputting 35k +/- 1k  DPS. 

Does this seem correct?  I realize that the dummy is not exactly the best representation of things, but as I literally just reinstalled yesterday, I am just trying to get my things in order and figure out the rotation.  I also realize that my gear may not be as optimized with the stat adjustments (when I left Mastery was still big).

Guest Lingering Insanity

Ive got a question regarding Lingering insanity Stacks and Voidform.

Is it at any point a good idea to stay in normal form and use the full duration of Lingering insanity or is it allways a must to get into Voidform ASAP. 

I mean when i leave voidform with lets say 80Stacks of LI shouldnt i take advantage of that for the whole 60second or is Voidform just that much more of a dmg increase?

On August 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM, DLanceTF said:

Do gnomes have a natural limit of 120 insanity? If so, do you people feel it will be worthy going gnome over other races?

I don't think Gnomes get higher max Insanity.

8 hours ago, Guest Lingering Insanity said:

Ive got a question regarding Lingering insanity Stacks and Voidform.

Is it at any point a good idea to stay in normal form and use the full duration of Lingering insanity or is it allways a must to get into Voidform ASAP. 

I mean when i leave voidform with lets say 80Stacks of LI shouldnt i take advantage of that for the whole 60second or is Voidform just that much more of a dmg increase?

Never delay Voidform. Use it as soon as possible. Hope that helps :)

Guest Darrigan

I've leveled as Shadow, and at this very moment im ilvl 803.

I'm using Legacy of the Void, but i'll probably switch to Surrender to Madness once raiding hits.

During istances boss fights, i usually can get up to 30 stacks (on average, not counting Power Infusion ones). Is 30 a good-ish number? I see so many people discussing on what to do on 70+ stacks and i'm here looking at my 30, feeling derp. My equipment isn't helping either, as i'm sitting on a whopping 55% mastery, 14% critical and 8% haste (I think the game hates me).

So, what's an average stack of Insanity/Lingering insanity to have on a simple 5-man dungeon boss?

Uncommon Patron

anyone else having issues gearing up as shadow? im getting all mastery gear drops and my prioritation is set to shadow priest. my haste is down to 9% while my mastery is at 44% :/  im getting this gear from the quests in suramar

Guest Cherube

I'm looking at the relic choices for shadow priest and I don't understand the color coded arrows on the diagram. There is no legend to indicate what the different colors represent. Help!

On September 2, 2016 at 6:56 AM, Guest Darrigan said:

I've leveled as Shadow, and at this very moment im ilvl 803.

I'm using Legacy of the Void, but i'll probably switch to Surrender to Madness once raiding hits.

During istances boss fights, i usually can get up to 30 stacks (on average, not counting Power Infusion ones). Is 30 a good-ish number? I see so many people discussing on what to do on 70+ stacks and i'm here looking at my 30, feeling derp. My equipment isn't helping either, as i'm sitting on a whopping 55% mastery, 14% critical and 8% haste (I think the game hates me).

So, what's an average stack of Insanity/Lingering insanity to have on a simple 5-man dungeon boss?

The 70+ stacks number you are hearing is with Surrender to Madness. If you're using Legacy of the Void, 30 or so stacks is to be expected.

17 hours ago, Sugartits said:

anyone else having issues gearing up as shadow? im getting all mastery gear drops and my prioritation is set to shadow priest. my haste is down to 9% while my mastery is at 44% :/  im getting this gear from the quests in suramar

Well, Sugartits, I'm afraid that that's just RNG for you. It's nothing specific against Shadow Priests.

16 hours ago, Guest Cherube said:

I'm looking at the relic choices for shadow priest and I don't understand the color coded arrows on the diagram. There is no legend to indicate what the different colors represent. Help!

I believe you mean artifact trait order and not relic choice. There is a legend, each color has a number next to it, which indicates the order in which you are supposed to take the traits. So, fill out the red line first, and so on. Or you can simply follow the numbered list below the image :)

Just a little add in. I am currently 827 ilvl and running Mythic dungeons regurlarly now and I will say I find dominate mind very useful on most of the encounters. Unlike at the end of Draenor most pulls have one or more mobs to choose from and the CC combined with a bit of added dmg has been really useful. I usually revert to mind bomb on the dungeons that are dominated by demons but for the most part I have been finding the added CC more useful. We usually can CC 3-4 mobs at a time with our group and that makes these Mythic trash pulls smooth as butter.

Guest Corcodush

First of all thank you for the most complete guide out there!

Quick question on stat prio: the priority itself is straightforward (int>haste>crit>mastery>vers) for STM and int>crit>haste>mastery>vers for Legacy of the Void), but would you be able to add the actual weights as well?

We could enter those numbers in addons such as Pawn for an accurate read on how big of an upgrade we get from a given item.

Thanks!

On September 7, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Guest Corcodush said:

First of all thank you for the most complete guide out there!

Quick question on stat prio: the priority itself is straightforward (int>haste>crit>mastery>vers) for STM and int>crit>haste>mastery>vers for Legacy of the Void), but would you be able to add the actual weights as well?

We could enter those numbers in addons such as Pawn for an accurate read on how big of an upgrade we get from a given item.

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment. I'll ask Twintop how he feels about adding actual weights, but I'm not a big fan of them because they're not the be all end all of gear choices, since the weights depend on so many factors. Also, they're pretty update-unfriendly.

Guest Chakko

I believe this is the only guide that doesn't have a BiS list. Please add.

Guest Sassbearilla

Thanks for the great guide!

I'm thinking of creating a Shadow Priest because they look like so much fun this expansion. Any thoughts on the choice of race, perhaps for PvE and PvP? I know it's not the most important decision, but wanted your two cents anyway!

9 hours ago, Guest Chakko said:

I believe this is the only guide that doesn't have a BiS list. Please add.

There's a few others that don't, we're actively adding and updating them as we can!

5 hours ago, Guest Sassbearilla said:

Thanks for the great guide!

I'm thinking of creating a Shadow Priest because they look like so much fun this expansion. Any thoughts on the choice of race, perhaps for PvE and PvP? I know it's not the most important decision, but wanted your two cents anyway!

Personally I'm playing as a troll, I absolutely love the racial. In all honesty though, unless you're trying to ultra min-max, it's not going to have a HUGE effect. Instead, find one that you think looks good.

Guest Corcodush
On 9/8/2016 at 10:37 PM, Vlad said:

Thanks for the compliment. I'll ask Twintop how he feels about adding actual weights, but I'm not a big fan of them because they're not the be all end all of gear choices, since the weights depend on so many factors. Also, they're pretty update-unfriendly.

Even a one-time paste (in this thread) of approximate values would be awesome

On 11/09/2016 at 9:53 PM, Guest Corcodush said:

Even a one-time paste (in this thread) of approximate values would be awesome

We'll see what we can do for you, but there are no guarantees!

Guest Prayformercy

Im working on learning this shadow priest rotation and understand that the spell casts are on a priority system. My question is, if you get to the point that you are in the middle of a mind flay cast and void bolt or mind blast comes off cooldown, are you supposed to finish the mind flay channel then go with the highest priority or clip the mind flay early then go for the highest priority spell? I dont know if getting an extra void bolt in there is worth losing potential ticks from the mind flay in order to keep insanity up. 

Guest Grumpy
On 4 september 2016 at 6:12 AM, Sugartits said:

I have the exact same problem, I have 829 ilvl atm and I do so bad dps because my haste is way to low and every piece of gear that drops give me - on haste. Me beloved priest is broken :'(

Uncommon Patron
10 hours ago, Guest Grumpy said:

I have the exact same problem, I have 829 ilvl atm and I do so bad dps because my haste is way to low and every piece of gear that drops give me - on haste. Me beloved priest is broken :'(

trust me i avoided logging on to my priest for that reason. However ive been spamming the world quests and today got 2 awesome epic trinkets that were +698 haste and +1k intellect so now my haste and mastery are almost even, crit not far behind

Guest Murf

Will we get the BiS list by raid? Im REALLY having trouble quantiying these trinkets with their weird effects, thanks <3

Guest Samson

Early on in this guide it mentions that Mana is the Shadow Priests main resource and that most spells need it. This is not even remotely true anymore, and led to a lot of confusion for someone who just rejoined at Legion's launch.

Does this lack of mana mean we should have slightly less care in Intellect?