FORUMS
Damien

Frost Death Knight 7.3

On 22.11.2016 at 6:46 PM, Gormnir said:

so i thought id ask here if anyone else thinks this or if its merely my guildie? also vert is still better than mastery for frost DK right?

I think it's just your guildie. Yes, Vers is still better.

• Like 1

Hello, my current stats are 20 haste 28 crit 40 mastery and 4 versatility. Should i try to get more versatility gear for single target Raid boss fights and also use versatility food buff? For mythic + i should use mastery gear and mastery food do to better aoe damage scaling?

2 hours ago, kayath said:

Hello, my current stats are 20 haste 28 crit 40 mastery and 4 versatility. Should i try to get more versatility gear for single target Raid boss fights and also use versatility food buff? For mythic + i should use mastery gear and mastery food do to better aoe damage scaling?

Yes, you should aim to get more Vers. gear for ST. I'm not sure how well the Mastery vs. Vers. scale works in AoE. You can sim yourself vs. 1, 2 and 3 targets to see whether the value of Mastery jumps up noticeably for you.

Will BoS be a viable build on 7.1.5 ? Or machine gun build still pulls ahead on sims even after the buff ?

Edited by Kulnazz

As I was searching the top frost dks on Ursoc mythic on Warcraft logs I realized that most of them (mostly the top 10) are using the Potion of Prolonged Power instead of Potion of Old War and also I see no hits from the Fisbrul Special so I guess they are using another food buff...

Is the guide so much outdated? And if yes can u guys confirm if Potion of Prolonged Power is so powerful and suggest a vital food buff for our spec?

Thanx in advance

@Blainie: sorry, only read your answer late, but as I did further tests I got further convinced about versatility > mastery now, so that's ok.

However I re-propose my previous question about bad to the bone trait (also to whoever else knows exactly what this does): does it only increase by 15% the small damage razorice itself does (which amounts to about 2% of damage on sustained st) which would mean 0,3% dps increase per trait or does it also increase the other effect of razorice, as in the up to 15% increased frost damage when you have 5 stacks of razorice?

A clarification would be very useful since if it's only the first effect I would find the trait increasing frost strike range more useful, while if it also has the 2nd effect it's far more powerful than it looks.

On 11/26/2016 at 11:22 PM, Kulnazz said:

Will BoS be a viable build on 7.1.5 ? Or machine gun build still pulls ahead on sims even after the buff ?

There could still be a huge amount of tuning before 7.1.5 is released. Rest assured that the guide will be updated in time for the release!

@Blainie I know Icy veins is not related do Ask Mr Robot, but since the main page sugests you to sim your char on AMR, do you know why they COMPLETLY ignore the 20% haste cap and go straigh for CRIT ? 

My personal Soft Cap gear:

26,938 STR 19.79% Haste 27.79% Crit 3,46% Vers 27% Mastery

AMR Best in Bag:

26.968 STR 9.37% Haste 33.92% Crit 3% Vers 29% Mastery

Using Frostscythe and Glacial Advance when simulated (M+ build)

i got a question regarding razorice in main and Fallen crusader in offhand. as i still see DK's with them as the other way around where its fallen crusader in main and razorice in ofhand. which made me wonder if it actually matters if you put it in offhand or mainhand? if so id like an explanation about why it is so

On 12/6/2016 at 5:17 PM, Kulnazz said:

@Blainie I know Icy veins is not related do Ask Mr Robot, but since the main page sugests you to sim your char on AMR, do you know why they COMPLETLY ignore the 20% haste cap and go straigh for CRIT ? 

I'll be honest, I'm just not sure, I'm sorry. I get asked stuff like this quite a lot and it's really difficult to answer, simply because I don't know what their process is for calculating their priorities/weights.

I wish I could help, but I'm just not sure!

18 hours ago, Gormnir said:

i got a question regarding razorice in main and Fallen crusader in offhand. as i still see DK's with them as the other way around where its fallen crusader in main and razorice in ofhand. which made me wonder if it actually matters if you put it in offhand or mainhand? if so id like an explanation about why it is so

As far as I know, it does matter. If you have RI in main hand, you will spread the debuff to everything when you Frostscythe, since it takes from your MH. All other abilities take from your OH as well, so it doesn't matter for them.

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time choosing between 2 relics for my frost artifact.

I currently have an 875 relic in the Shadow slot buffing Ambidexterity. However i just got an 880 relic for the same slot that buffs "Nothing but the Boots", the crit damage increase trait. The 880 relic only boosts the artifact by 1 item level. Should i go with it or should i just stick to my 875 relic for ambidexterity?

Thanks for any help in advance :) 

Guest mermanatee

Ambiexterity 100% unless its likea 15 ilvl boost ambi will be better.

On 16/12/2016 at 1:20 PM, sykretts said:

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time choosing between 2 relics for my frost artifact.

I currently have an 875 relic in the Shadow slot buffing Ambidexterity. However i just got an 880 relic for the same slot that buffs "Nothing but the Boots", the crit damage increase trait. The 880 relic only boosts the artifact by 1 item level. Should i go with it or should i just stick to my 875 relic for ambidexterity?

Thanks for any help in advance :) 

On 18/12/2016 at 4:52 AM, Guest mermanatee said:

Ambiexterity 100% unless its likea 15 ilvl boost ambi will be better.

Got this img for Frost DK relics from the discord channel, i hope it helps:
http://imgur.com/a/RZmoh

Its a bit sad because on M+ Ambidesxterity is useless, and you cannot swap relics !

I have a question about Sindragosa's Fury, the 10 second slow, and mind control.

On mythic Nythendra, the MC'd friendlies are broken out from MC using SF.  Does that 10 second slow persist after MC is broken?

I insist that it does NOT persist because it's not a debuff that is applied to the target, but rather an effect that is caused by the ground upon which you walk.  Similar to a hunter's old frost trap... as long as you are in the frost on the ground you are slowed... but the frost on the ground only lasts 10 seconds, and if you are no longer considered to be standing on it (because it's no longer an enemy's ground effect), you will no longer be slowed.

What is correct here?

4 hours ago, Eagleeye1975 said:

What is correct here?

I can't check this at the moment, but I would assume as you do. It is an aura triggered by standing in a certain area and it has to be "refreshed" by still standing in it. Assuming that you break the MC, the area is no longer hostile.

• Like 1

Guest Lycoris

I recently got the [Perseverence of the Ebon Martyr] helmet, and I have a few questions regarding it.

1. How much does this helm alter the value of Relics? I know that the Blast Radius relic is second BiS after Ambidexterity without this helm for ST, and BR is already better for AoE, but does this helm also make it superior for ST?

2. While I think it extremely unlikely, following the above line of thinking, would this helmet also increase the value of the Freezing Fog talent enough to pass Frozen Pulse in value? I feel it may, at least at higher Haste values where you get more resource bloated and are at 2- runes for less time.

3. Would this helmet cause the value of [Gathering Storm] to pass [Runic Attenuation] since it would give more uptime for the helmet's power? I rather dislike how awkward we feel without RA, since I have more than once been a few RP shy of a Frost Strike and missed refreshing my Icy Talons because I was not running RA, but I could still see this being the case.

As a side note: I have noticed that though Remorseless Winter lasts for 8 seconds, the debuff that it applies that increases the HB damage lasts for about 10 seconds. I found this interesting to note as it increases the average value of the helm from 16% HB damage to 20%.

22 hours ago, Guest Lycoris said:

I recently got the [Perseverence of the Ebon Martyr] helmet, and I have a few questions regarding it.

I've put in a note to the writer of the guide for some answers, so as soon as I get them I'll pass them back to you! :)

Guest Usernr333

I dont have the math but the legendary helmet together with tier 19 set could be the best you can get. I tried it on ptr and got almost 500kdps(no pots/flask) for 10minutes on the dummy with 880ilvl and that is alot more as i can do on live with normal RA build.

I took Freezing Fog and Gathering Storm and 2 relics with Blast Radius. 1,5mio hb crits when storm is up and rime proccs alot.

On 12/31/2016 at 11:20 PM, Guest Usernr333 said:

I dont have the math but the legendary helmet together with tier 19 set could be the best you can get. I tried it on ptr and got almost 500kdps(no pots/flask) for 10minutes on the dummy with 880ilvl and that is alot more as i can do on live with normal RA build.

I took Freezing Fog and Gathering Storm and 2 relics with Blast Radius. 1,5mio hb crits when storm is up and rime proccs alot.

I haven't tested it personally, but I'm sure the writers/reviewers have been testing stuff like this in depth! Thanks for sharing what you've found though, I'm sure it will be taken a look at :)

Guest usernr333
12 hours ago, Blainie said:

I haven't tested it personally, but I'm sure the writers/reviewers have been testing stuff like this in depth! Thanks for sharing what you've found though, I'm sure it will be taken a look at :)

I dont know if they changed something but i tested it again and i barely get over 400k dps. It is still better than my live dmg but nothing compared to what i got before. :/

8 hours ago, Guest usernr333 said:

I dont know if they changed something but i tested it again and i barely get over 400k dps. It is still better than my live dmg but nothing compared to what i got before. :/

I was excited after reading of your previous tests, so I am quite sad to hear this.

This is likely a reflection of the Base Howling Blast damage nerf, which I feel was unnecessary. They buffed Freezing Fog to make it a more viable option compared to Frozen Pulse, but then nerfed the Baseline HB damage. Strange people...

May I ask if this testing was with the current Machine Gun build or the new Breath build? Early testing seems to indicate that the Breath Build may be the superior build now, which will definitely benefit from both the Tier set effects and a more heavy Mastery setup, which would in turn also benefit a more Howling Blast orientated build.

One frustrating thing for certain, is that a breath build heavily discourages the use of Icy Talons, which would devalue Frozen Pulse as well, increasing the relative value of Freezing Fog. If only Icy Talons gave stacks whenever you spent RP instead of only from Frost Strike, am I right?

I will be somewhat annoyed if Mastery starts to emerge as one of our best stats, as I have gone to lengths to remove as much of it as I reasonably can from my gear to moderate success. Crit on the other hand, I simply cannot seem to get rid of and am currently over 30% on when my Eye is stacked. A strange problem to have to be sure, but with 25% haste as well, I can't complain too much, only wish those stats were flipped.

9 hours ago, Guest usernr333 said:

This is often the reason why we don't update guides prior to everything actually going live. People do sometimes get angry at us, but things can change multiple times in a few days. It means everything needs to be re-tested and re-uploaded. 

I'm sure the writer and reviewer are hard at work ATM to get things up to par with all the recent changes :)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 8:56 AM, Blainie said:

This is often the reason why we don't update guides prior to everything actually going live. People do sometimes get angry at us, but things can change multiple times in a few days. It means everything needs to be re-tested and re-uploaded. 

I'm sure the writer and reviewer are hard at work ATM to get things up to par with all the recent changes :)

Just to bounce off this notion, after patches there are often countless emergency hotfixes for both the game itself and simulation programs. In 7.1 alone, there were several hotfixes every few hours for about 3 days and even the simulation programs had various bugs that were popping up. Literally the best stats and talents were changing by the hour, without someone there to constantly update things you could end up with inaccurate information really quick. So, while everyone wants the new information immediately its really better to have to wait a bit and get the correct information once the dust settles from the patch landing. 

• Like 1