FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sethaiel

Legion Prot - Intercept/Safeguard Usage

Good afternoon guys. I like the guide already put up for Protection.

However, I noted that it was repeatedly recommended to utilize Safeguard on a melee DPS in a matter that won't cause the boss to move. I have been using Safeguard as a talent since before Legion so I am familiar with its usage (using it on a co-tank with a simple whisper macro seems to be appreciated).

One thing that struck me, is that I should probably ensure I have a charge constantly used up. This means actively using it on cooldown with both charges. That's easy to track via weakauras. What I'd like to know, is proper execution for the average fight. Should I focus a DPS and then whisper them at the beginning of a run every time? For instance in LFG or LFR, should I just ask to see if a melee will actively sit on the boss with me?

Is there another way to use Intercept/Safeguard effectively while also keeping a good flow of the fight? The less I have to be reliant on the DPS, the better; I usually feel.

I appreciate any feedback.

Yeah, keeping one charge on rotation during a fight for the rage is a great idea and honestly one I had completely overlooked! My recommendation would be to use Intercept on your cotank. S/he is likely to be in range of you and in front of the boss on most fights. There are exceptions of course, but it should work in most situations. I wouldn't recommend a melee DPS as much because you're either going to have them stand in front of the boss which is not a great place for them or your use of Intervene on them while they're on the boss' back will cause the boss to turn and possibly even allow it to hit you on the back.

For LFG/LFR, I wouldn't worry about whispering the person as much. If you want to, certainly go ahead. I would recommend focusing your cotank and using them still in LFR and in pug raids. In a dungeon situation, you can just pick a melee. However, keep in mind that you may be moving through the dungeon quickly enough that you'll want all of your charges for pulls. Here, I am specifically referring to prepatch content in case anyone reads this in a few months. Once Legion hits, you'll probably be moving through dungeons at a slower pace and may end up sitting on that sweet, free rage such that you'll want to use it on a party member.

Thanks Estarriol. After some dungeons and messing with it; I decided to simply keep a focus and separate macro:

#showtooltip

/cleartarget [dead]

/startattack

/cast [@mouseover,exists]Intercept; [@focus,exists]Intercept; Intercept 

I've found with a simple aura that tells me stacks, that I can just pop it on my focus for that quick 20 rage if I need to weave in Vengeance or not.

For a raid, yeah, it would pretty much be easy to just /focus your co-tank. I've noticed for dungeons (again, pre-patch like you mentioned); /focus on the melee isn't too bad; I try to angle the boss 90 degrees to my melee, Intercept to the melee really quick and move back to 90 degrees. Also, it seems the "range" that Intercept "lands" on your friendly target is 5-10 yards. There's some leeway in its use without spinning the boss like a top.

With Safeguard granting the melee that DR bonus, it's just icing on the cake and reminds me to keep using it.

Glad to hear you found something that works for you! I would however recommend Inspiring Presence. 3% leech may not sound like much, but it actually ends up doing quite a lot in group content.

1 hour ago, Estarriol said:

Glad to hear you found something that works for you! I would however recommend Inspiring Presence. 3% leech may not sound like much, but it actually ends up doing quite a lot in group content.

I'll have to try this out. I appreciate it!