FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Daowen

Your first reaction to the latest changes pre-expansion patch

As for myself, I do like a lot of things, especially the transmogging.

Haven't gone through all my chars yet, and I had a short glance in the ptr already, but the shadowpriest yeah I love it :)

What I really don't like is the taking away of the glyphs system, it sucks :(

This as a first impression ;)

My favourite thing was spending most of my afternoon opening salvage boxes for BoEs. 

not. :(

• Like 2

My first impression was dismay. My mains priests holy and disc were decimated as far as questing goes. Losing two attack spells kills them for questing. I brought both up from 1 - 100 without going the dungeon route and just questing solo. Some stuff is awesome transmog for one. Graphics seemed to be better as well. I know every class lost some spells but in a PvP environment when questing holy and disc are just sitting ducks now. Even out there in BGs and Ashran with the add-on "Kill the Healer" we will be definitely hunted quickly to get us out of the mix. 

• Like 2

As with every pre-patch the class changes can be pretty overwhelming for some players (especially if spells you have used for years have changed or are removed).

I'm still unsure what I want to main next expansion (cutting it fine) but I think I will be stepping away from my priest (holy and disc like you Myssuunda).

The wardrobe is great and although I'm psending a lot of time trying to make gold with it right now I'm looking forward to finding those items I'm missing!

Part of me wishes they would have given us a LITTLE something in the way of content, even if it was just a daily or two, just to tide us over.  I know a lot of people logged in changed their action bars then logged out again as they were bored!

• Like 1

Despite having been on the alpha/beta/ptr since forever ago: WHY ARE MY BARS SO EMPTY?????  I've got maybe half the abilities I used to have on my bars now as Marksmanship (dropped active keybinds from 26 to 14).  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Orthios said:

Despite having been on the alpha/beta/ptr since forever ago: WHY ARE MY BARS SO EMPTY?????  I've got maybe half the abilities I used to have on my bars now as Marksmanship (dropped active keybinds from 26 to 14).  

But think of your artifact Kappa

Tiring!

While I like the changes in Legion, actually applying them to all the toons feels tiring.

- opening all these boxes and applying thousands of pieces to the wardrobe,

- changing and moving around all the action bars because they are all holes and half empty now, and then preemptively leaving some empty buttons for artifact spells,

- figuring out new stats prios and checking the math where it's possible,

- removing old weakauras, adding and testing new ones,

- rewriting all the VuhDo profiles due to spell and CD changes,

- testing that all the applied changes are working

...and all this while understanding that current numbers mean nothing and would completely change in the end of the next month.

I went to heal LFR to test some new layouts and it's all hard, slow and requires full focus.

But well, hopefully all this hard work in pre-patch will make things much easier in Legion :)

• Like 1

I actually like most of it. I am having fun re learning.  

It's fun because i'm not dying much. 

And my girls love their new closet of transmorgs!

Pre-Patch checklist:

• Download the latest versions of addons used that supports 7.0.3
  • Open 100k+ Salvage Boxes for Transmog items, mail everything to my warrior since warrior can equip almost anything.
  • Go through 34 spec and create weakauras and keybinds.
  • Practice

Reactions:

• The new nameplates are driving me NUTS.
  • Goodbye easy gold (Garrison and Legacy Raids)

12 hours ago, Archimage said:

Pre-Patch checklist:

• Download the latest versions of addons used that supports 7.0.3
  • Open 100k+ Salvage Boxes for Transmog items, mail everything to my warrior since warrior can equip almost anything.
  • Go through 34 spec and create weakauras and keybinds.
  • Practice

Reactions:

• The new nameplates are driving me NUTS.
  • Goodbye easy gold (Garrison and Legacy Raids)

Only works for weapons on the transmog front. You'll need a Mail/Leather/Cloth main-type for those sets of gear. Needs to be your main-type rather than just being able to equip it. 

+1 on the nameplates, I hate them in PvP.

I was dismayed at how drastic the class changes were for all of my classes. The reason is nothing about the particular changes but it's a mounting frustration at the fact that Blizzard feels the need to overhaul everything so frequently. It's starting to be a bit ironic how we were told, in previous expansions, that decisions were made because of the need for better game design, yet when those decisions are contradicted in the next patch, and again in the next patch, it makes you start to wonder why Blizzard can't get a firm grip on exactly what good game design means. 

I know that the Blizzard team is a living and breathing organism and that these game design decisions are inconsistent from patch to patch because Blizzard gets new staff throughout the years and with new people brings new vision, experience, but more importantly: new opinions. Opinions: that's the operative word here. Blizzard keeps changing its own opinion. Though Blizzard is a conglomerate body of it's collective talent, in our eyes it's one persistent organism, and as such, I can't help but be frustrated that (10, 8, 6, 4, 2) years ago Blizzard told me that some major changes were required for good game design, and even now it seems that Blizzard is still scrambling to get it right. Here we are in Legion, WoW's 6th expansion, and we're not making small incremental changes here and there, tweaking or revamping a few abilities. We're overhauling all classes and major features, and major game mechanics just like we were in TBC, maybe even more dramatically than ever before. Over the years those inconsistencies have morphed the game into something that I barely recognize (and ironically sometimes coming full circle: e.g. melee hunters), because we've never been at a point where only slight tweaks are required, we are a slave to the consequence of completely new game design paradigms that very often impugn the validity of previous overhauls.

So when you ask me for my reaction when I logged in after the patch, my answer is: I feel like the kid who has to change schools every year because his parent's keep taking a job in a different city. I wish Blizzard would start to address, internally, the cognitive dissonance that is illustrated by how many times they need to overhaul their own overhauls, and start to address their own credibility when they consistently contradict themselves over the span of many expansions.

Edited by Greathouse

I love the people that complain about change when an xpac comes out. Basically people are complaining that their keybind count is down (were you REALLY using all 24 keybinds, actively? Because I don't believe you...) and that the game is different and/or constantly changing.

Did you want to hit the same buttons, in the same rotation, for 12 years? The changes in Legion are widespread, but as someone who has played nearly every class and spec at max level, I can tell you the game has never been so sharp and fluid. Change is necessary, especially in gaming where innovation and competition don't wait. Most of my character still have at least 16-18 buttons ACTIVELY being monitored and used (which is still more keybinds and abilities than almost every other game) and I haven't missed a single pruned ability across the board. If you find yourself lacking buttons, maybe you should reexamine your all-passives talent build.

WoW has been the dominant MMO, far and away for years, because they are willing to reinvent their wheel so many times. Xpacs are more than just additional content for the SAME game, it's a way to provide a direct sequel to each rendition they come out with. In many gaming series, large changes are made in between each consecutive version. WoW should be no different, after all part of monthly sub fee is to cover the implementation of new content and game-build maintenance, both from a utility and an experience point of view.

Just enjoy the ride, we are entering what will probably go down as the greatest xpac in WoW history, and if you refuse to see that, you're probably just being bitter and nostalgic over a version of the game you wouldn't want to play if you remembered it correctly (vanilla was garbage, almost unplayable at times, get over it).