Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blainie

wow WoW Community Contribution: Learning to Raid

3 posts in this topic

71aABQU.png

Sometimes, as players, we have restrictions that prevent us from being able to play the games we want, how we want and when we want. If you've struggled to get into raiding, this might just be for you!

Before starting, I want to thank @Justinmccray87 on Twitter for bringing this to my attention again. It was something I glossed over briefly while looking at the forums a long time ago, but this time I properly read through it. Not only is this a group for people that want to get into raiding, it's also for people that can't raid usually.

The post was started up over a year ago as an incentive for players to get into raiding that perhaps hadn't before. To quote the original post:

This Is For The Players Who Want To Raid But Cant Because Reasons

If you are someone who wants to try this raiding thing but gets turned off by the vocalminority of Raiders in this game, then this thread is for you.

If you are someone who just wants to raid in a low-pressure group that cares more about killing bosses and having a good time, then this thread is for you.

If you are someone who wants to LEARN to raid without being berated for low dps, low awareness, etc., then this thread is for you.

If you have Autism or any other disability that would keep you out of PuGs in LFG do not be afraid of joining this group. 

The thread is still updated to this day and the runs are planned to continue well into mid-August, on both Horde and Alliance. For EU players, it does seem like this is mainly aimed at US raiders, but you can still check out Openraid for similar runs! 

1 person likes this

My first advice would be to take rude comments that come out in pugs with a grain of salt. People get stressed when things aren't going well, and some handle that stress better than others. Do check yourself to see if there's anything you can learn from any feedback you get, regardless of how it's delivered. That person fussing at you may be offering something you can use to get better, even if they are a jerk about it. Or they may be even more clueless than you. So don't take it personally but do think it over.

My second advice needs to be taken even before the first, chronologically speaking if that makes sense. :D  Show up prepared. Nothing aggravates the raid group like individuals who apply to the group without doing their homework and making preparations. Maybe you've never done this raid before, but there are always videos you can watch on Youtube so you'll have some idea of what to expect. I especially like the Fatboss videos for giving me the important info in a very succinct and entertaining fashion. There are also written guides, plus the basic notes in your in-game dungeon journal.

Preparing also means having your own buffs ready: food, flasks, potions, runes... whatever you can do to gain an edge. Being less than your best in solo play is your business; being less than your best in group play is unfair to your fellow raiders.

Know where the instance is and have a plan for getting there. Many groups will be able to provide a summons, but that's not always convenient. Nothing is more pathetic than someone begging to be summoned when everyone else is eager to start the fight. Treat getting summoned as a nice bonus, but don't count on it. Ideally get yourself to the instance even before applying to groups so you'll be ready to step in right away.

Have a thick skin, learn to laugh at yourself, and don't give up easy. Two weeks ago I joined a group for Heroic Hellfire Citadel on my hunter alt. I was really wanting the polearm from Mannoroth. We wiped a couple of times, and I wasn't playing my best. After I died during the third attempt, one of the healers remarked (not realizing I was in vent) "What's up with this retard hunter?" Worst part is he was right to be frustrated. I had been playing too long without a break, was forgetting stuff I knew (this wasn't my first time doing the fight), and was messing up even more because I had started pressing after my first couple of screw-ups. I apologized and left that group, but I didn't give up! I got some sleep and came back fresh. Joined another pug, and this time I was heroic! Got all the mechanics right, blasted adds left and right, and stayed alive with other players dropping all around. It came down to just me and one amazing healer against Mannoroth at 1%... we got him! And best of all my polearm dropped, war-forged at that. Especially rewarding since I feel like I earned it.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Arrawnn said:

learn to laugh at yourself

This part makes things so much easier. If you stress about every stupid mistake you make, if you take people laughing at your mistakes to heart, you're going to take so much longer to get into raiding. It's a game, treat it like one. If you do something dumb, it happens, just shrug it off, learn from it and move on!

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Patch 7.1.5 brings new Artifact Knowledge catch-up options for both mains and alts.
      We'll be able to catch up on Artifact Knowledge in Patch 7.1.5 using Order Resources.
      The main source of Order Resources is the Blood of Sargeras trader in Dalaran. You can buy Order Resources Cache that will give 200 Order Resources for one Blood of Sargeras. Bloods are farmed via World Quests and Heroic+ dungeons.
      Main Characters
      A new quest was added to your Class Hall called Knowledge is Power. You need to turn in 500 Order Resources to get Artifact Research Synopsis.  The quest is repeatable and can be completed until you reach Artifact Knowledge level 15. After that you will need to place work orders as usual. A total of 7,500 Order Resources is thus required to reach said AK level. That's 37.5 Bloods of Sargeras.

Alts
      Depending on the Artifact Knowledge level of your main, you can purchase research compendiums and mail them to your alts. These items are bound to your Battle.net account.
      Artifact Research Compendium: Volume I Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I & II Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I-III Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I-IV As an example, if you have Artifact Knowledge Level 15, you can buy Artifact Research Compendium: Volumes I & II for 1,000 Order Resources. I think every 5 levels of Artifact Knowledge will unlock a new compendium. If you use the item without any research documents, you instantly reach Artifact Knowledge level 10 (it's like that on PTR right now).

• By Jovovich
      [US-Arthas][H]Unhuman (French) EN:5/7M ToV:3/3H www.unhuman.ca
      Unhuman is RECRUITING!
      Forum: http://forum.unhuman.ca/forum/7-recrutement/
      Raiding:
      - [Raid] Starlight Bros 5/7M ToV:3/3H 2day Tuesday and Sunday 7hpm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Insanity 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7h30pm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Fluffy 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Wednesday and Thursday 6h15pm to 9h15pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Soldati 1/7M ToV:3/3NH 2day 
      - [Raid] Les Gosus de Notre-Dame 7/7H ToV:3/3N 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7hpm to 10hpm (EAST)
      PvP:
      - We're still looking for a PvP Leader, if you're interested see with Jovovich#1699
      Community:
      - More than 500 account
      Unhuman is a performing raiding guild with multiple raid groups, it's one of the biggest, for not saying the biggest one, french community on World of Warcraft US. We have over 500 active accounts. Unhuman has been created in December 2006 and will continue to live for a long time, Unhuman is trying to give to our raiders everything they need to be focus only on good progression!. Unhuman is always looking for new players of all kind, PvE or PvP, even with Battle pets or Archeologists or anything else you can do in the game....You will be sure to find your way with Unhuman!
      For any question...
      - http://unhuman.ca/
      - Jovovich-Arthas, Guild Master
      - Murielle-Arthas, Officier
      - Jdo-Arthas, Officier
      - Mottuer-Arthas, Officier
      - Izzaeth-Arthas, Officier
    • By Jovovich
      [US-Arthas][H]Unhuman (French) EN:5/7M ToV:3/3H www.unhuman.ca
      Unhuman is RECRUITING!
      Forum: http://forum.unhuman.ca/forum/7-recrutement/
      Raiding:
      - [Raid] Starlight Bros 5/7M ToV:3/3H 2day Tuesday and Sunday 7hpm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Insanity 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7h30pm to 10h30pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Fluffy 4/7M ToV:2/3H 2day Wednesday and Thursday 6h15pm to 9h15pm (EAST)
      - [Raid] Soldati 1/7M ToV:3/3NH 2day 
      - [Raid] Les Gosus de Notre-Dame 7/7H ToV:3/3N 2day Tuesday and Wednesday 7hpm to 10hpm (EAST)
      PvP:
      - We're still looking for a PvP Leader, if you're interested see with Jovovich#1699
      Community:
      - More than 500 account
      Unhuman is a performing raiding guild with multiple raid groups, it's one of the biggest, for not saying the biggest one, french community on World of Warcraft US. We have over 500 active accounts. Unhuman has been created in December 2006 and will continue to live for a long time, Unhuman is trying to give to our raiders everything they need to be focus only on good progression!. Unhuman is always looking for new players of all kind, PvE or PvP, even with Battle pets or Archeologists or anything else you can do in the game....You will be sure to find your way with Unhuman!
      For any question...
      - http://unhuman.ca/
      - Jovovich-Arthas, Guild Master
      - Murielle-Arthas, Officier
      - Jdo-Arthas, Officier
      - Mottuer-Arthas, Officier
      - Izzaeth-Arthas, Officier
    • By Stan
      A new developer Q/A with Game Director Ion Hazzikostas is scheduled for December 7. You can submit your questions either via forums or Twitter using the hashtag #LegionQA.
      All questions will be answered live on Twitch.
      Blizzard Entertainment
      Join us live on Twitch Wednesday, December 7, as we sit down with Game Director Ion Hazzikostas for our next live developer Q&A. He’ll be answering many of your World of Warcraft questions.
      Feel free to submit any World of Warcraft questions by posting in this forum thread or via Twitter using the hashtag #LegionQA.
      We’re really looking forward to getting the chance to dive in and answer as much as we can, so we hope to see you Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. PST!
      (Source)
      We'll bring you the highlights once the Q/A comes to a close as we did last time, after the post-BlizzCon Q/A.
    • By Stan
      Mischief has been added to the Battle.net Shop and is now available for purchase for $10. 100% of the proceeds are donated to Make-A-Wish. A plush version of the pet can be purchased in the Gear Store for $25.
      The pet was supposed to be live yesterday, but got delayed.
      Blizzard Entertainment
      This holiday season, warm your hearth with a fuzzy little ball of fel fire. Meet Mischief, a curious kitten who followed the Burning Legion into Azeroth and is now looking for an Order Hall to call home.
      This new World of Warcraft® in-game pet is up for adoption now in the in-game Shop and the Battle.net Shop, with a plush companion available in the Gear Store—and for a limited time, when you purchase either one, you’ll be helping a great cause in the process.
      Mischief In-Game Pet
      Starting now until December 31, 2016, when you adopt the in-game version of Mischief, 100% of the purchase price ($10 in the US; pricing varies by region) will be donated to Make-A-Wish, helping give wish kids across the globe strength and courage as they fight their illnesses. 
      BUY NOW
      Mischief Plush
      If you’re looking for a fel feline to cuddle IRL (that won’t leave scorch marks on your furniture), the first batch of our new glow-in-the-dark Mischief Plush toys is now available for $25 each in the Blizzard Gear Store—and until December 31, sales of the the plush will benefit Make-A-Wish. Visit the Blizzard Gear Store to learn more.
      BUY NOW
        For more information about Make-A-Wish in the United States, visit wish.org. Outside the United States, visit worldwish.org.
      (Source)