Vlad

Legendary Warlock Handlock Standard

10 posts in this topic

I've collected a lot of dust for a handlock, and am wondering if this list is viable for fun climbing? Will there be an updated version now that Karazhan is released? Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Guest Wondering Guest said:

I've collected a lot of dust for a handlock, and am wondering if this list is viable for fun climbing? Will there be an updated version now that Karazhan is released? Thanks!

Fun - yes. Climbing - not as much. If you played previous versions of Handlock, then you will be able to get to nice ranks, but if you didn't, then the deck will be quite hard to learn and painful to play at first. I would honestly recommend discard zoo as a fun climbing deck, but if it just isn't for you, then sure, go ahead and try handlock.
To be honest, I am not entirely sure which cards from Karazhan should go in the deck.

1 hour ago, Guest Wondering Guest said:

Just to further add to the response above, Handlock is a deck that requires thought. It's not a control deck in which you can make the wrong move and then backtrack by gaining  24 armour in a turn.

The deck requires a lot of thought and a lot of learning. It can be one of the most rewarding and truly devastating things to play against, but it requires a LOT of experience. I love playing Handlock, I suck at it though.

I'm wondering if Prince Malchezaar could possibly fit in there.

Arcanosmith possibly for an early taunt vs. aggro match ups? It's basically a 4 mana 3/2 that heals for 5. This could definitely be useful for people that are learning Handlock and don't properly utilise their early game survival.

I'm curious how this build plays Faceless Shambler but forgets the best meme card of all time, Ancient Watcher. It still has a powerful synergy between all the old Handlock staples, and that interaction IMO is important if you want to beat Aggro. I think Doomsayer is fine, though. 

Arcanosmith, I think, is pretty mediocre, and much like Doomsayer, hates my favorite tech card - Crazed Alchemist

Prince Malchezaar I believe to be overrated and underpowered, not because of the word "random" that I hate or the fact I have to play a Pit Fighter in my Constructed deck, but because 36-card decks are bad for business. You have less chance to draw into any of 1-ofs and 2-ofs, which is not desirable because Constructed implies you are already playing the best cards. That doubles up for Handlock strategies, because their removal options are not redundant enough, like those of Warrior. Handlock was always powerful because it could consistently power out its removal and 4 mana 8/8 (eat that, Shamans!), and that feat suffers greatly with a 36-card shell.

Overall Handlock is fine. I've seen it played on a couple of tournaments. It really has a unique angle of attack that can be a part of your Conquest or LHS line-up, but it is not the best ladder deck. 

2 hours ago, Paracel said:

Overall Handlock is fine. I've seen it played on a couple of tournaments. It really has a unique angle of attack that can be a part of your Conquest or LHS line-up, but it is not the best ladder deck. 

Would you leave Handlock untouched with Kara cards then?

More or less. One Night in Karazhan feels like it is tailor-made for current established archetypes, but apparently Control Warlock decks is not one of them.

6 hours ago, Paracel said:

More or less. One Night in Karazhan feels like it is tailor-made for current established archetypes, but apparently Control Warlock decks is not one of them.

Funnily enough, Handlock is one of the decks that always seems to have like 28 cards that stay the same and then you rotate out 2 each time, sometimes even less. It just goes to show why it isn't exactly meta-competitive anymore. All the other decks change and adjust, while Handlock just stays the same.

3 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Funnily enough, Handlock is one of the decks that always seems to have like 28 cards that stay the same and then you rotate out 2 each time, sometimes even less. It just goes to show why it isn't exactly meta-competitive anymore. All the other decks change and adjust, while Handlock just stays the same.

I think that's the beauty of it. You always know what to expect from your deck. You can always return to it after a long time. It is cheaper to make in the long run. You don't run a 4 mana 7/7 - you run a 4 mana 8/8. Every time. That's why it was a main deck of many of my friends before the nerfs. Two of them even left HS because of that. Sad day.

9 minutes ago, positiv2 said:

I think that's the beauty of it. You always know what to expect from your deck. You can always return to it after a long time. It is cheaper to make in the long run. You don't run a 4 mana 7/7 - you run a 4 mana 8/8. Every time. That's why it was a main deck of many of my friends before the nerfs. Two of them even left HS because of that. Sad day.

I remember watching Lifecoach play the deck, it was amazing. I do wonder if we'll see future expansions add more cards to revive this deck properly.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor