FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

Legion PVP DK Style - Talents and Suggestions for all specs

PVP is something this site doesn't tackle very much and its a very fickle mistress. Talent builds will vary heavily depending on battle grounds vs arenas and even then what kind of arenas, 2s, 3s, etc. However, I want this board to apply to all possible players so we are going to give this a shot. We'll have suggested talent builds for each spec and have it sectioned off by what type of pvp you are doing.

Rotations will not be covered however. PVP requires adaptability and adjustments not firing off rotations, plus, I just don't want to get into that mess XD. So talents and tidbits will be in this guide, nothing else :).

Edit 1: I think we'll start with 2 build each, one for arenas and one for battlegrounds. Looking at arena beta footage, the difference between 2s and 3s is marginal. Tactics are very different but builds will not be altered. It almost becomes a pvp single target and pvp aoe build situation

Edit 2: It basically is going to be a pvp aoe vs single target set up. Bgs are more aoe focuses while arenas will be more 1 on 1 focused. Bgs completed first, arenas to follow later.

Battleground Builds:

Blood DK

blood 1.jpg

So the talent choice here is pretty straight forward. It's a strong survival build similar to pve. There are a few differences. First Blood drinker is a great pressure attack for retreating enemies and has a decent self heal and a short cooldown. It is fairly annoying to be on the receiving end. Tremble before me is a great aoe "stun'. For the last one bonestorm is a good damaging aoe and self sustaining talent. Again these are for battlegrounds and are assuming more of aoe damage type scenarios.

blood 2.jpg

The first four talents are going to be the same for all three specs. They give you the best defensive and disruption abilities (in my opinion) the builds are around more frequent opponents and stuns. They are also tuned for the widest range of potential attacks. For tier 5 strangulate is the best for simple survival, its another silence. Unholy command could have uses in point capturing situations. Tier 6 is just a fun tier. I had a hard time choosing, Death Chain is both amusing to watch and effective. Its a high damage attack and a huge disruption ability. Blight is good, however, people can simply move out of it easily. Death Chain is harder to deal with.

Frost DK

frost 1.jpg

Frost is the king of cleave and does well in BGs. Glacial advance is a strong low cost high damage high target his ability. Frostscythe does huge cleave damage on km proc. Volatile and Winter is Coming offer strong sustainability and crowd control. Avalanche is a good passive strong attack to add pressure. Howling blast will be used a lot so powering it up is desired for Tier 2 talent. Tier 1 was challenging. I chose the rune regen simply because Km Frostscythe will be a high priority ability.

frost 2.jpg

The first four talents are going to be the same for all three specs. They give you the best defensive and disruption abilities (in my opinion) the builds are around more frequent opponents and stuns. They are also tuned for the widest range of potential attacks. Tier 5 was kind of a hard one, most abilities are situational and very strong for arenas but questionable in BGs. Deathchill makes chains of ice root that much stronger. Chill streak is basically and old necrotic plague without stacking at is a great addition to the cleave pressure of frost.

Unholy DK:

unholy 1.jpg

Unholy is very strong in pvp and this build is designed to give it very strong cleave pressure and presence as well as strong synergy with the pvp talents. You want to get virulent plague on as many people as possible but you want it to tick faster so you can get your pvp slimes out faster hence the tier one selection. A tight group of infected opponents makes epidemics damage insane. Great for attacking fortified points and disrupting groups. Clawing shadows lets you stay a bit further out of the fray and become a mid range attacker so you can focus on your diseases and slimes while still dishing out strong damage. Corpse shield is one of the strongest def cds in the game imo and we aren't using our zombie that much. Debilitating infestation would be a strong choice, but I liked asphyxiate just for the stun, in case someone gets up close we can prepare them for apocalypse. The same goes for necrosis, an approaching opponent can be death coiled and you can start off with higher damage. The last tier was kind of hard. Defile is just very weak and soul reaper requires a bit of set up. So i chose dark arbiter for a last dish hard hitting dps burst .

unholy 2.jpg

The first four talents are going to be the same for all three specs. They give you the best defensive and disruption abilities (in my opinion) the builds are around more frequent opponents and stuns. They are also tuned for the widest range of potential attacks. Unholy has the most fun tier 5 and 6 of dks in my opinion. Let there be slimes!!!! Wandering plague applies a lot more aoe pressure and hits fairly hard while jumping around. Unholy mutation is the backbone of this build. Its great aoe pressure as your diseases are quickly expiring yielding more damaging slimes. The more times you reapply quickly, the more slimes. Just great aoe pressure :) Reanimation is fun but a bit slow and easy to dodge and necrotic strike has a better home in arenas.

Change Log:

7/28/2016: Topic Created

7/29/21016: Talent selection place holders added as well as edit 1 note.

9/12/2016: Guide actually written 

Okay, So, I am very stupid. I didn't realize that we get both our default talent tree AND the pvp talent tree. This of course makes the best set up quite challenging, in addition, doing different builds for different pvp settings is going to be a lot of work (2s, 3s, bgs, 5s,). So, i'm going to do my best with this. The default talent trees shouldn't be too terrible because they will more or less reflect pvp single target and aoe builds. So, it'll be a bit, but I am working on this XD

On 9/21/2016 at 1:55 PM, Jlogan916 said:

I have a couple questions about frost pvp is it better to go for mastery over everything or crit and haste? And what talents do you suggest?

sorry for delay, talents are listed above in guide, it needs to be updated, tier one take shattering strikes, tier 2, take frozen pulse, everything else should be good general stats are

1. Strength;
  2. Critical Strike (until 30%);
  3. Haste (until 20%);
  4. Mastery >= Haste;
  5. Versatility;
  6. Critical Strike.