FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Verlum

Bit of help need Mage dps

Hey Guys,

Im hoping to be able to get abit of insite on where im going wrong as a frost mage,

heres my links http://us.battle.net...Verlum/advanced

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/usa/thaurissan/verlum

for some reson im only pulling around 80 ~ 90k dps on boss fights tho ive seen people less geared than me pulling 120ish.. so if anyone could point me the right way that would be great.

Cheers

Edited by Verlum

Hello Verlum!

You have come just the right place for information!

I will tell you as much as I can from your armory, however if you could provide a world of logs link as well, taht would be awesome!

First of all, you are 1,54% above the hit cap, which means you should optimize your reforging. You can easily do that accordingly to Ask Mr. Robot. However, don't forget to click on the update from armory button ;PP

Gemming. Your gemming is pretty messed up. There are 2 ways of gemming for frost mages and there's a debate between the two teams.

• Int gemming
2. Haste gemmingNow the thing is. If you can stand still and cast during the whole fight, the Int gemming is better. If you have to move even occasionall, Haste gemming will pull ahead. So I'd suggest you to use the Haste gemming and NEVER mix up the two ways. (Like you are doing it now) Additionally, you don't need that +320 hit gem. Reaching the hit cap on your item level is super easy. And drop that +320 crit gem as well. It's useless. you already have close to 100% crit chance on Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost procs :3

Enchanting-wise, I won't say any world changer. You should use the intellect enchant on your cloack. Since you are a tailor you have the chance of making very cheap enchants on your leggings and cloack.

These are as good as the Cerulean spellthread, and the cloack is actually BiS enchant for mages because we can make it last longer by using Alter Time.

I have seen you started to upgrade your items. If you upgrade anything, upgrade your Main hand weapon and your trinkets very first. These will increase your DPS signifficantly, especially the Wand upgrade. More Spell power? Hahh of course :D

Now talentwise:

• While Ice flows is a good talent for occasional movement, I still think that Blazing speed is far better that the other two choices. Pop it, move to a safe location like a rocket, continue casting Frostbolts. :)
  • Don't use Frost bomb in ToT.... Except for Horridon... Use Living bomb on single target fights, and Nether Tempest on multi-dot fights (like Council).
Your talents seem fine, although I'd rather use Glyph of Ice Veins instead of Cone of cold on your haste level. But this will not affect DPS too much, so if you use Cone of cold many times and you gost used to that spell, just keep using it :)

As a closure: the most usual issue with Frost mages is that they forget to keep up the Invocation buff, they let their mage bombs fall off and they move too much unneccessarily. Aim to keep maximum uptime on those two and move only if you have to. :)

For further tips and tricks with the fights, please have a look at this forum topic. It just has been updated a few days ago by me.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/1608-throne-of-thunder-mage-style/

And again, if you can please provide us a World of logs link. That could tell us much more what might cause your DPS problems :)

• Like 3

Cheers for the quick reply mate =), just fyi what is the mage hit cap? i just googled it and there are some places saying 17% O.o

It is 15%.

Imho, cone of cold is only of use to cutting-edge mages, as they know the exact place and time to apply it perfectly.

Oltier, why is it such a bad idea to mix the two ways of gemming for a frost mage? I'm aware you are full int, and you know i'm full haste, so we are on the opposite sides, but i don't think somewhere in-between is a terrible place to be.

Actually, a mix of both is what i'll probably do once i reach 50% haste (that's 3.5% more than what I have atm)

Edited by areanu
  • Like 1

Cheers, i gemmed the way Ask Mr Robat told me the 1st time and it came out a mix of the both. i just gemmed haste so ill see how that goes once the servers are up again.

Cheers for the quick reply mate =), just fyi what is the mage hit cap? i just googled it and there are some places saying 17% O.o

Hit cap 17% was in Cataclysm Posted Image It is indeed 15% now.

Cheers, i gemmed the way Ask Mr Robat told me the 1st time and it came out a mix of the both. i just gemmed haste so ill see how that goes once the servers are up again.

Yea, I think you forgot to update the AMR profire before optimizing Posted Image

It is 15%.

Imho, cone of cold is only of use to cutting-edge mages, as they know the exact place and time to apply it perfectly.

Oltier, why is it such a bad idea to mix the two ways of gemming for a frost mage? I'm aware you are full int, and you know i'm full haste, so we are on the opposite sides, but i don't think somewhere in-between is a terrible place to be.

Glyph of Cone of Cold is awesome on stacked up, multi-target fight. Ie.: Ji-kun. So yea, you are right Posted Image

I am actually full haste.. Posted Image Well, I have nothing concrete to prove my idea but I just feel that, full int=OK, full haste=OK. Somewhere in between="why would you go somewhere in between when you can go for either of them that is proven good?", if you see what I mean. Posted Image

I might as well go for int gems once I feel that my Frostbolt casts are going into the waste, but that is not the time, yet :D

• Like 3

any idea of what kinda of numbers i should be pulling on dummys with my gear?

also just worked out how to work World of Logs too soo after an lfr ill post it

Edited by Verlum

any idea of what kinda of numbers i should be pulling on dummys with my gear?

also just worked out how to work World of Logs too soo after an lfr ill post it

I'll run a simcraft with your gear on dummies, single target no cleave or etc. So make sure you also do the dummy training on one target (There is one dummy only like this in Ironforge, so practice there)

Without flask and food buff and potions, with heroism, only self buffs.

You should be pulling 106136 DPS. :)

• Like 2