FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
neytirri

Questions about Priest dps..

Uncommon Patron

FYI I am new to wow so no trolls please! I've already endured enough in the game

I have been playing RIFT for the last 5 years I've got several max lvl toons all in tier 3 gear there but my friends decided to quit and come to wow, so I also did. I did the whole legion pre-order so I could get the lvl 100 boost and decided to try something new and make a caster. In rift I am used to playing a rogue, what you guys in wow would call a Hunter.

So that being said, I was pointed in this sites direction for help with all things priesty. I set my talents up the way icy recommended, and I have been practicing the shadow priest rotation as it is stated in the shadow dps section. I practice on a dummy staying in void form as long as I can. 

I am only pulling around 13k on a raid dummy.  I am currently pulling more than that on my lvl 45 hunter.  I know there is a learning curve with the vast difference in play styles but I am just wondering what I am doing wrong. I dont have a parse to show but I did include a pic of my stats..

I know one thing that may help and that is enchants- when i rolled this toon i wasnt sure if wow even had them or what type to use but then I found that section in the priest guides also =) however I'd still like to have a decent base dps before i go with enchants and potions and stuff

**Update- i enchanted my gear and now on raid dummy I am parsing at 17.5k and no i do not know how to link my armory

wow1.jpg

Edited by Sugartits

Sorry, I'm not maining dps spec but for those who may help here's the Armory of this toon.

@Sugartittss: When you are posting on WoW forums other than the official one, would be great to post your Armory link (not a screenshot) like I did now for you. You didn't have to do this on the official because there you are logging with your acc so everyone can see your Armory.

Two more things: I see you are in disc spec now - were you actually in Shadow spec when tested?

The difference in numbers for your priest and hunter (apart of talents/rotations, etc) may be that you used a level appropriate dummy when testing a hunter but a Raid Dummy when tested the priest.  The Raider's Training dummy has a level of a raid boss so with your current gear you will be far behind just from the level difference. Try to do the test on the regular dungeoneer's training dummy - you have them both in your Garrison near the Mine and in Stormshield. 

Uncommon Patron
3 minutes ago, Pandacho said:

Sorry, I'm not maining dps spec but for those who may help here's the Armory of this toon.

@Sugartittss: When you are posting on WoW forums other than the official one, would be great to post your Armory link (not a screenshot) like I did now for you. You didn't have to do this on the official because there you are logging with your acc so everyone can see your Armory.

if i knew how to link it i would. I have no idea. 

Well, your screenshot says you're in Discipline spec, which is a healing spec.  Also, numbers for everyone were lowered quite a lot with the recent pre-patch.  Another thing that would be great is to upload logs of your practice against a dummy.  To do this, type: "/combatlog" before and after your practice, then go to warcraftlogs.com and upload the combat log to their site and link it to us here.  This allows us to see what you are doing and point any mistakes or to make suggestions on what to do.  Some things I'll say about Shadow priest dps here though:

Try and keep as close to 100% uptime on both Shadow Word: Pain and Vamperic Touch.  Either recast them when they are about to expire on your target (when you're not in voidform) or cast Void Bolt to refresh them (while in voidform).

Cast Mind Blast as close to on cooldown as possible.  

While in Voidform, cycle Void Bolt > Mind Blast > Void Bolt > filler > repeat.

Uncommon Patron

yes when i took the pic i was not in shadow spec but the gear is the same. I will try any suggestions here. Thanks Panda =D

Also- I made some weakaura's to track certain CD's but i havent been able to make one for the dots yet. I know the void bolt refreshes them though, otherwise i am manually monitoring them right now.

Edited by Sugartits

BTW, I simulated your toon in SIM for a raid fight and it showed very low numbers - you really shouldn't test yourself vs Raid dummies.

I saw you didn't do any Draenor dungeons yet - I would advise you to run some. You will get some gear and better understanding of the fights. It's definitely less stressful to run them with friends but if you don't have any yet, use a LFG tool-> Random Draenor Dungeon.

I would happily help you with dungeons but I'm playing on EU so we can't play together :(

• Like 1

Uncommon Patron
8 minutes ago, Pandacho said:

BTW, I simulated your toon in SIM for a raid fight and it showed very low numbers - you really shouldn't test yourself vs Raid dummies.

I saw you didn't do any Draenor dungeons yet - I would advise you to run some. You will get some gear and better understanding of the fights. It's definitely less stressful to run them with friends but if you don't have any yet, use a LFG tool-> Random Draenor Dungeon.

I would happily help you with dungeons but I'm playing on EU so we can't play together :(

I am used to using raid dummy on rift cuz I am a raider. I will try the dungeon dummy- and no I haven't done any dungeons on my priest yet because I wanted to work on rotation and void form before I go into a dungeon. 

Everyone is a troll these days and the other day I got into a new lvl dungeon on my hunter and announced I was new and immediately someone called me a c*** and I got kicked from 2 groups for getting lost. It's not like I'm not trying to keep up its just a whole new map and my toons run so incredibly slow.

Unfortunately those types of people are all too common.  I'm not sure how rift works, but if you are clicking your abilities with your mouse, I strongly suggest you break that habit and use the keybinds.  Another thing is to rebind S and F to strafe left/right and to turn using your mouse (hold right click).  This frees up a few more keys that you can then bind to action bar slots so you're not having to move your hand far to reach keys.  

As far as the weak auras for DoTs goes, it's fairly simple.  I prefer a progress bar for DoTs myself, so what I do is to make a new progress bar aura.  Then, the trigger would be Aura > Target (or multi target, will get to this next) > Debuff > Shadow Word: Pain or Vamperic Touch.  In the display tab I've got one of the texts to show the remaining time and the other is blank.  If you choose to do multi target, I'd make the blank text show the mobs name (%n I believe).

Sorry about the idiot trolls.... I have played other MMO's and WoW off/on since it's release (14 years ago?  hell i can't remember exactly).  I will say after this 7.0.3 patch I am returning from a decent break.  The game has been pruned a lot.  I kind of like it.  Right now in one weekend I ran battlegrounds and easily geared up to 710.  You get one mark of honor per win in from each battleground.  The gear right now is such that you can be held over until end of august when Legion releases with just the pvp ilevel 710 gear (except getting neck, rings, trinkets via dungeons/LFR).  When legion releases you (and the majority of us) will be replacing the gear very quickly.

Maybe your guild can carry you through some raids for decent trinkets/rings/neck.  That could potentially help too.  

Also in the past, you wouldn't want to do dps as a focus with Disc or Holy.  I see that Shadow form is at the top of dps for the state of dps ranks right now.  I haven't tried it, but I have tried disc and holy this patch and I am finding my pally healer WAY more fun and survivable.  My problem is that I want to get the 710 gear for my priest or druid before Legion releases.  I think I am going to try shadow, since I just read about how awesome they are doing.

I used to use Elvui, but I switched to Spartan.  That's one good thing about an old MMO... lots of different UI's to choose from.  This isn't a screen shot of my spartan, but it shows you the classic style spartan (which is updatable and found through curse).  The raid and party frames are movable.spartanui.jpg 

Not sure what server you are on, the armory link for me said character not found.  I am alliance on Sargeras if you ever want to hook up and do a few battlegrounds for funsies.

Wow is like an ex that I can't seem to break up with for good.  I leave for other MMO's and play those for a while, but usually find myself resubscribing to wow for each new expansion.  I like that about it.  It's always cyclical fun for me and the bonus of taking breaks for other MMO's.

Edited by thoughtpet

PS.

I always get my talent spec ideas and rotations and such from Icy-veins but I have never posted here.  It is a really informative place to come for anything WoW related.  Decided to make a post just to chime in a bit more.