L0rinda

hearthstone Entire Set of One Night in Karazhan Cards Revealed

15 posts in this topic

nmT7jUv.jpg

As expected, the live event earlier today on PlayHearthstone's Twitch channel was the reveal for the rest of One Night in Karazhan.

The reveals took place in a series of show matches between Frodan and Game Designer Iksar. If you missed the event, the VOD is available here. After the stream, all of the cards were posted to Facebook here. I have included a few of the more interesting cards below.

79EqE6J.png

I picked these cards as they go a long way towards summing up the set mechanics.

Avian Watcher is one of several cards that interact with secrets. In fact, not just secrets, the cards in general seem to be more conditional. Moat Lurker seems to be a very skillful card if it turns out to be powerful enough. You can create a temporary gap in your opponent's defenses, or hide away one of your cards for after an AoE spell. You can also use it for synergy with cards with Deathrattle, Sylvanas Windrunner is one obvious example.

I include the Magician and the Portal as they are both parts of a larger theme. The interaction with Beasts, Dragons, and Murlocs is one pushed quite heavily in the set. There are five Portals, all with the random minion line.

Overall, the set seems unspectacular at first glance. However, I think there are enough interesting cards that it will make an impact. Sets usually end up being judged by the best designed cards rather than the entire set strength, so hopefully several of the cards end up impacting the meta.

The start of the Adventure will be launched on Thursday 11 August 2016.

Rip priest as a class. Priest is now on the powerlevel of TGT arena warrior, but in both (standard) constructed and arena mode. 

Moat Lurker seems like another addition to Wailing Soul/Drawback decks. 
I definitely won't play silvermoon portal because of all the Doomsayers I am going to get, just like from Piloted Shredder. However, it might be fine overall, at least as long as Totem Golem is in the standard rotation.

1 person likes this

I can't help but agree about Priest, which is one of my favourite classes. Its current state is the worst ever and the new cards don't seem to help at all. All cards for other classes seem to promote a certain playstyle or a specific tribe, like Deathrattle, Secrets, Discard or the new Murloc/Dragon/Beast thing. The Priest cards either promote nothing at all or they promote the overall subpar playstyle of healing. It's like they have no idea what to do with Priest.

Other than that, I will have to agree that the set doesn't look impressive at all. We have been wrong before, though.

3 people like this

As a priest player, I had expected to see either a good early game minion or a strong removal spell that is less conditional than its other removal. (Shadow Word: Death etc.) But honestly, why would they print purify at all? The card is a weaker silence - two more mana for less versatility with the only upside being card draw. I disagree with Yong Woo; A priest would not use purify and ancient watcher, the combination is mediocre anyways. Overall, I am heavily disappointed with Karazhan. 

Frankly, I am scared of the new Druid 6-drop. Seems like it will be as strong or stronger as cards like Thing From Below... 

Posted (edited)

The Rogue cards seem pretty good. Swashburglar is basically a 1/1 Undercity Huckster for 1 mana. And it'll depend how much mana you need to play the weapon from Deadly Fork, but it looks like a pretty strong card as well.

The hunter card looks like it might seem play too: Cat Trick is basically a Jungle Panther for 2 mana, with the bonus it can act as soon as you get control of it. 

That Fool's Bane... It looks like it will really wreck decks relying on many little creatures. 5 mana and some health is costy, but against Zoo, it comes down to a board clear.

Violet Illusionist seems like a really nice card for Warlocks or decks relying on weapons to clear minions.

Medivh, it will really depend on what exactly the Atiesh weapon does. By itself it's rather weak as a 7/7 for 8 mana, but it could turn out to be a very powerful card.

Moat Lurker seems nice as a synergy card for a Deathrattle Hunter deck.

Edited by Keizoku

Posted (edited)

For those who don't know, Atiesh is a 1/3 weapon that's basically a Summoning Stone (should've got the stats right).

That said, seems I'll be passing Karazhan for now, BrM seems a better purchase.

Edited by Kokuendan

6 minutes ago, Kokuendan said:

That said, seems I'll be passing Karazhan for now, BrM seems a better purchase.

Bear in mind that BRM still has less than half a year left, then it will be rotated out of Standard.

Karazhan will be around until 2018 hits!

32 minutes ago, Zadina said:

Bear in mind that BRM still has less than half a year left, then it will be rotated out of Standard.

Karazhan will be around until 2018 hits!

I have that in mind but I play Wild regularly so I don't need to take account of that in my purchases.

I'm still going to wait until the expansion is set before using my gold just in case...

1 hour ago, Kokuendan said:

For those who don't know, Atiesh is a 1/3 weapon that's basically a Summoning Stone (should've got the stats right).

That sounds pretty nice, actually. Random, but that's definitely a theme of the whole adventure. Getting free extra minions as you play spells looks like a pretty good deal, and it's a harder to remove weapon on top of that.

Violet Illusionist and Fool's bane have insane synergy, allowing to clear up to 12 HP, which means you will be able to kill cards like Ysera or Deathwing without taking any damage. She also makes Ancient Shade and Cursed Blade insignificantly better. And last interesting interaction I can think of for now is free spell with Cho'gall! A free Assassinate that will even heal you for 3 health, insane potential value. I think she will see some play in Renolock.

Posted (edited)

I think the best card priest is getting here is a neutral one: Netherspite Historian. Dragon priest is currently my only viable priest deck and this card goes quite a way in making the early game curve more reliable + the dragon you discover will more often than not be pretty damn good.

Menagerie warden though, that card looks so OP right now. How do you deal with a turn 5 Stranglethorn Tiger into turn 6 Menagerie Warden?

Edited by PaasHaaS

I'm surprised nobody but me mentions Spirit Claws getting the "Worst Wording" Award. 

Look at it.

Then look at Master of Ceremonies. 

Do they look the same? (Spoiler : No they don't)

That means Spirit Claws ask for your Hero to have Spell Damage. There is only one card that makes it possible and it is Jungle Moonkin. And it's not even Shaman. Good Job, Blizzard!

"Worst Design" Award goes to Onyx Bishop. I think it is reasonable to name it "The Onyx Bishop" award. Nobody had ever stuck a Resurrect on a Spider Tank, added the mana costs and called it a day so carelessly, especially when Priest is in so much agony now. Do they ever pay you, game designers? At least the previous Onyx Bishop Award owner didn't suck because her name is Darkshire Alchemist. Her dad likes to call her "Flash Yeti" and mom sticks to "Chillwind Heal"

Sunny side up and bad puns down, I liked Dragon synergy cards, especially how they will form a Dragon core when BrM rotates out. There is still a lot to be done with it, baby steps are steps nonetheless.

Moat Lurker looks promising and Menagerie Warden looks busted. The Curator is probably OP just like every "draw 3" card ever printed and Unleash The Taunts a.k.a Protect the King is a super flavor hit.

Overall, the adventure is not oozing constructed staples like the previous ones, but still has some gems in it(perhaps even hidden ones). It will be even more important in 2017-2018 cycle. Pick it up.

I find adding more non-dragon synergy cards While BrM is rotating out... (cards that synergise with dragons but are not dragons themselves) is quite... weird. i find karazhan did not introduce anything even NEAR reno jackson or even sir finley (I know, i know.. *sigh*). i find Medivh,The guardian an OK card but it needs lots of testing before its gonna be found useful or not. other legendaries introduce very gimmicky effects. barnes is VERY hard to plan because its based on deck and not on hand for example. its definitely useful in malygos shaman and even yogg'n'load for that sweet chance of getting a thaurissan out for 4 mana... yea these decks are not very competitive and i find The Curator quite gimmicky for its effect. including SO many minions is very hard. it does make midrange decks that do not rely on 1 win condition quite stronger because now you can play a savannah winmane on turn 6 and play the curator on turn 7 and play the second savannah on turn 8. quite strong indeed. the taunt helps a lot with protecting your minions. Dragon decks quite do the same thing  but they have a huge difference between the minions they get. they can get that twilight whelp. or they can get that nefarian. bit too random there. prince malchezar is good to beat fatigue decks that do not have access to it. Im not spending my money on karazhan even although i saved 1000 gold and i am  gonna just get prince malchezar and stop spending my money *cough* wasting *cough* on it. That was my opinion about One night in karazhan. prince malchezar's the only interesting legendary among them so i recommend f2ps try to get him and then just spend their money on arena and packs

Hey are you guys going to update the crafting guides for the rest of the classes any time soon to include WOG and LOE cards?