terp1104

What spec should I roll with the gear I have?

4 posts in this topic

Hey there Mage forums!

Up until recently I have been Frost and it has been very constant and good for me and the raids I have been doing, but I'm thinking and have been reading that with me getting into a higher item level, the other specs will pull ahead.

I was wondering what spec you all think I should roll with given the gear that I have. Please keep in mind that I have the 4-set tier set bonus, as I am sure that will come into play. Also, I have some upgrades to buy, etc.

Here is my armory link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/drenden/Decept%C3%AEon/simple

Also it shows the crit percentage unbuffed, but I am sure you all know that :)

Thank you in advance for the help!

35% a magical number for Fire mages :) If you can reach that you can go fire and play on a decent level. But the spec itself is very RNG dependant and you might struggle in some cases. It is also a bit hard to play properly with combustion etc.

I would not go Arcane in ToT, but I am sure other mages would argue with this.

Frost is between the 2 specs. It is very versatile and I am topping the meters with it on many fights on HC.

However, the most important is, to play the spec that you enjoy the most, and you can play at your best. :)

Thanks for your response!

I enjoy frost, but have been playing it for so long that the extremely predictable rotation is kind of getting monotonous and boring for me, you know?

Fire is definitely a lot more unpredictable, and in my opinion, more fun because of that, but I just want to make sure I am at the point that I can still pull my weight in raids.

There are points where i pull absolutely absurd amounts of DPS as fire and some where I just pull "normal." At the end of the raids, I am happy with my numbers if I am around 120-130kDPS overall.

I guess I just want to know what spec to choose to maximize the numbers I can pull with the gear I have because I enjoy every mage spec....because mages are the best ;)

I have to agree with your last sentence. ;) Fire should do well, really. If you enjoy its RNG, you should stick to it :D

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kirwow
      Hey there!
      I've recently started playing a mage, and I feel like my performance is a little below where it should be right now... I feel like I have the basics of the fire rotation down, but I really want to make any improvements that I can.. I don't really know where i'm going wrong, or what i'm doing that is causing a gap in numbers between me and similarly geared players. I have a log from a normal Xavius fight from earlier, maybe someone could take a look at it and point out any mistakes or give a few pointers?
      Thanks for your time!
      WCL: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xDnCkjbgT7qfMXt1
      armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thrall/Networks/advanced
    • By Archimage
      Wanted to share this:

• By Archimage
      Macros for mage talents in 7.1 just putting it out there:   Frost: /use [talent:1/1] Ray of Frost; [talent:1/2] Lonely Winter; [talent:1/3] Bone Chilling
      /use [talent:2/1] Shimmer; [talent:2/2] Cauterize; [talent:2/3] Cold Snap
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Ice Nova; [talent:4/2] Frozen Touch; [talent:4/3] Splitting Ice
      /use [talent:5/1] Ice Floes; [talent:5/2] Ring of Frost; [talent:5/3] Ice Ward
      /use [talent:6/1] Frost Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Artic Gale
      /use [talent:7/1] Thermal Void; [talent:7/2] Glacial Spike; [talent:7/3] Comet Storm   Fire: /use [talent:1/1] Pyromaniac; [talent:1/2] Conflagration; [talent:1/3] Firestarter
      /use [talent:3/1] Mirror Image; [talent:3/2] Rune of Power; [talent:3/3] Incanter's Flow
      /use [talent:4/1] Blast Wave; [talent:4/2] Flame ON; [talent:4/3] Controlled Burn
      /use [talent:6/1] Living Bomb; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Flame Patch
      /use [talent:7/1] Kindling; [talent:7/2] Cinderstorm; [talent:7/3] Meteor   Arcane: /use [talent:1/1] Arcane Familiar; [talent:1/2] Presence of Mind; [talent:1/3] Words of Power
      /use [talent:4/1] Supernova; [talent:4/2] Charged Up; [talent:4/3] Resonance
      /use [talent:6/1] Nether Tempest; [talent:6/2] Unstable Magic; [talent:6/3] Erosion
      /use [talent:7/1] Overpowered; [talent:7/2] Quickening; [talent:7/3] Arcane Orb     General Focus Macros: /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Polymorph
      /cast [@focus, exists, nodead][] Counterspell
    • By lybrewa
      Preface:
      - First post on Ice Veins - only recently started using the site but, omg, savior
      - Been playing Warcraft for about 4 years, off and on... still consider myself a newb
      - Boosted a blood elf mage to 100, thinking I'd only use it for farming
      - Got myself all three artifacts and up to 110 as frost

So, I got sick of the low dps that frost mage was providing in dungeons and was getting killed frequently. Others in my parties would get very frustrated with me. I didn't blame them.
      Today I switched to Fire mage. Of course, I'm not familiar with all the spells but WOW. I tried killing some withered in Suramar just to test it out and they demolished me. Ice Barrier was always my go-to as Frost and if my shield went down before I could recast, I'd cast Mirror Image to take the damage for me.
      (I HATE that mages have no in-combat heal)
      Looking for help. Tell me if you need me to post anything. Like I said; total newbie. Most acronyms frighten me and there are lots of terms I don't know, lol.
      I'm thisclose to finishing Pathfinder Part 1. Should probably stick to Frost until I get it, but I would like to go Fire after that. Preferably without dying.
    • By Narii625
      VISIT OUR WEBSITE!
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      LOOT STYLE
      Currently we are using the EPGP system (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP).
      The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      RAIDING SCHEDULE
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [6/7H] Trial of Valor, [2/3N] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. The Karazhan mega-dungeon is done on a weekly basis on Saturdays! We will help with attunement! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!

If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, Battle.net ID: Narii#1891
      www.bootypirates.guildlaunch.com