FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
meukow

Legendaries for everyone(?)

That seems very interesting indeed. I wonder if that's how it's going to work out.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the concept. I liked the idea of legendaries when they signified a truly unique and extremely powerful artifact, with a nice back-story. My favourite legendaries are the Warglaives and the healing mace from Ulduar. I don't know why but they have such a powerful immersive effect. It feels like one of the last remaining elements of the "old" lore-based WoW.

I'm not saying all classes shouldn't get legendaries. Frankly, I think it's quite absurd that Feral Druids, DPS Shamans and to an extent Hunters seem so out of favour in terms of legendaries, but if they start handing them out to everyone, they're just going to stop feeling legendary.

Also, I don't agree with not allowing legendaries in PvP. I can understand the idea of balance and all that, especially in arena games. But, coming from someone who both got the chance to ravage teams with Shadowmourne and get wrecked by Dragonwraths, I have to say I love it. It's such a testament of power, wielding a legendary weapon.

I feel a lot of the immersive spirit of the game is lost when the developers interfere too much, making everything feel like a tightly tuned and closely supervised system, rather than a world. From a lore standpoint, I see absolutely no reason why a legendary weapon couldn't be used against other players (unless you were wielding some kind of sentient "weapon of righteousness" that refuses to be wielded against anything that is not a demon).

• Like 2

Do you really feel that legendaries should be acquired by a random drop chance? Personally, as epic as some of those items were, that system is illogical and wrong in every conceivable way.

On the other hand, systems that result in massive amounts of the legendary item being churned out, like Dragonwrath, just serve to trivialise the status of the item.

We need to come up with a better system for all!

• Like 2

Horrible idea. Epic things are already not "epic" and at least legendaries are still relatively hard to obtain. However, I still think the Firelands / Dragon Soul items werent hard enough at all.

I've not done one heroic, one LFR, anything on my rogue, yet I managed to obtain the first 397 stage daggers with relative ease. Compare that with my hunter who is still struggling with 378 gun and main weapon after countless raids and LFR it seems a little easy to say the least.

Too many average players running around with legendary items. This expansion hasnt even required any difficult fights, just repeating the raid a few times.

And drop chance weapons? Possibly the worst idea of all. Legendaries should be legendary, not a 0.01% drop chance that favours Jim "1raid" Lucky against Bob "500raid" Unlucky. I dont understand how you think the glaives are hard to obtain. Just all about luck, which rewards noone.

What I think does need to happen is to try and immerse the whole raid group more. I enjoyed the extra encounters in Firelands, but it should reward players a little more who arent on the quest. An extra boss difficulty (or just available by truly heroic mode bosses) ensures only the better players can gain the items and it still rewards the group as a whole by completing the encounter.

By just making it "drop more clusters / embers" on heroic mode, it just makes obtaining the item faster, rather than better players actually achieving something the average player can not.

Some of the worst guilds on our server have players running around with the staff and the daggers, just by farming normal bosses. This shouldnt be possible.

Sadly it just seems they are yet again trying to appeal to a new type of player, a player who feels they should deserve everything available. What ever happened to wanting to obtain an item for others, to benefit your guild / group as a whole.

Urgh

• Like 2

Warglaves are anytime my favorite ! I haven't seen any glamourous legendry in my life ! Evn the 60lvl thunderfury sword is the best for graphics and its evn cool to obtain as legendry ! Before playing on retail i used to play on private where i was having two glaives and rather its difficult to obtain on retail !! But i am pleased to say that each and everyone can share thoughts coz of this thing !

*stuff you wrote*

I agree with you entirely. I felt like like Algalon was an amazing encounter (not just the fight itself, but the idea of an "elite" optional boss), and I was so thrilled when Blizzard announced that they'd be doing more of that. Sadly, it turned out to only be Sinestra. I would love it if this kind of encounter would somehow be tied into a legendary quest chain.

I think legendaries should certainly not be random drop chance. The best way is some kind of in-raid collecting quest, with a legendary-quest-only, super difficult boss to kill (or even farm, if it must be done, I suppose). The rate of obtaining a legendary item should, in my opinion, be such that by the end of a tier of content, only one player per guild would have it. And if the guild goes back and farms the old tier, they should get a legendary at an average of 1/tier, so that it would be 3 legendaries of one kind per guild per expansion, max.

And I would truly rather they just create one legendary for each tier (skipping tiers is kind of lame - for instance, I really felt like Sinestra should have been involved in a legendary weapon). This "oranges for everyone" system will just take all the fun out of legendaries.

Also, cake.

• Like 2

I do really like the idea of ONE legendary that can be equipped by anyone - when I was reading through this I first of all thought that they were releasing one per class, which really would not have been legendary at all...

Otherwise I agree that random drop chance would be awful & pretty rediculous to be honest. The current system is also completely flawed as anyone that grinds lots can get the items, it's farming over skill... like a teir peice that is REALLY expensive more than something that requires some skill to aquire. Extra boss difficulty I like more, and I do think it should be something that involves the entire raid group. This will also help guilds as folk will need to be in a regular progress group or it will be nigh impossible to get.

In general I think gear has been (exept for that darn bow) overly easy to get in cata, particularly 4.3.

I'm still up for the rare drop. Somehow reminds of me of Warglaives time and seeing that thing drop was huge. Could turn your day upside down, calculating when will you actually obtain something is kind of meh...

Just like with rare mounts, your reaction when it drops is just amazing. Posted Image

im more traditional on this one......and this is a debate ive RECENTLY had with some of my younger Generation-Gimme-ers. :P.i think Legendary should MEAN something to get....... it should be from hard work, real skill, and not random chance at a drop...skill or no skill. Thats what Epics and Rares are for.....you can still get that WOW factor with so many of those, and with many of the mounts and pets......why destroy the Legendary system just to give the "entitlement" generation that instant satisfaction. That "because ive paid for one month im just as entitled to it as you are" mentality, lol ! Its the long term users they are trying to hold onto , Thats where they have realized their money base IS, and i think if they stray too FAR afield on this one, they will teeter off the edge and start to loose those more old school-feel players like myself........yes, i like collecting my pets and mounts, and i like the new battle system and some of the new, fun changes.... SOME of the changes.........in the VANITY systems.......but not to the overall mechanics of the game, NOR to the Lore of the game as a whole, destroying the overall experience just to satisfy a younger generation of player that doesnt (overall, NOT ALL OF THEM, please no one out there take offense!) seem to be willing to commmit to any work over time, but instead prefers the more instant gratification type mechanics as a whole.

I completely agree with nyxxiana. Legendary items shouldn't be a rare drop. I don't mind pets and mounts being a rare drop. The farm might be a pain in the ass, but with the account wide mount/pet system coming up, you can basically try to get inv_misc_summerfest_brazierorange.jpgAshes of Al'ar on 50 characters every week and I bet that you'll get it in a month if you do this.

Legendary weapons on the other hand work a different way. You can't farm them like this, with a random drop chance. First because they're not account bound (even though the feat of strength will be) and second because you don't have 50 rogue character to farm the glaives. And if you do you can't get the legendary staff, or the Ulduar mace. That's why removing the randomness for the most part is a good thing. It might take you 8 weeks, and someone else 10 weeks because he's unlucky on the quest drops, but he will get it eventually (I myself am still working on the staff).

On topic, I don't like it if everyone would get it. If it would be a quest, and only one person in your raid can complete it every 3 months, that would be a better system. That way you can reward the great people, the good people, the people that really mean something in your guild, with just that bit more. If everyone will have the legendary by the end of the tier. The weapons will have lost their value and they might have well been drops from a boss. It makes them unlegendary and they could as well be purple with the same weapon effect.

On the PvP thingy: wasn't Blizzard going to 'ban' PvE gear in arenas and Rated battlegrounds? Or is that something I just read somewhere? I know that with the changes in resilience (now PvP defense rating and PvP power rating) they want to make PvE gear bad in PvP to a point where say a level 359 PvP piece should be better than a PvE piece level 397 in PvP. This greatly discourages people of using this gear, but we'll have to see how they balance it with the weapons (and trinkets).

I'm in pretty much in th same camp as everyone else on this. What is the point of having a legendary item if it means absolutely nothing? And let's face it, that is pretty much what they would become if they were turned into random drops. Where is the sense of achievement? At least of you finally get the chance for that legendary item to drop then you know you've put the hours in, you have yearned after it and when (if) it drops then you have earnt it.

In my opinion, the rogue weapons have been far easier to obtain than the staff was/is. I suppose it is partially about how you view the game. I think that things within WoW have gotten so much easier, even though I have only been playing for two years. Personally, I believe that doing things like this can ruin the game for many people and Blizz really need to take this into consideration.

Consider this: how would you feel if you had grinded and grinded for god knows how long for a legendary and then they made the change and some random person is running round with the legendary item you spent so much time on, when it dropped for them and they weren't even trying?

• Like 1

How about legendaries not being weapons ... then they don't distort the pve/pvp mechanics. They could be profession based items which might make professions interesting too. Could require quests and materials making them not too easy but open to all not just raiders.

Examples

A flask with endless uses (full strength version of what alchemist get) ... an enchanting rod that sometime refunds materials ... a legendary 100 slot bag ... a teleporter for engineers between engineering sites ... a special skinning knife or mining pick that yields more materials ... etc

• Like 1

How about legendaries not being weapons ... then they don't distort the pve/pvp mechanics. They could be profession based items which might make professions interesting too. Could require quests and materials making them not too easy but open to all not just raiders.

Examples

A flask with endless uses (full strength version of what alchemist get) ... an enchanting rod that sometime refunds materials ... a legendary 100 slot bag ... a teleporter for engineers between engineering sites ... a special skinning knife or mining pick that yields more materials ... etc

Really like the idea of having perhaps a legendary item that involves general gameplay rather than just being a weapon. I think it is a bit biased to only have legendary items for raiders, I think perhaps a crafting / questing one could be interesting. Sadly I don't think they will be willing to use so many resources on a huge quest line etc. Alot of current legendaries don't require that much outside of raids themselves so they don't ate up that much development time as far as I can tell, I could be wrong though.

I have no opinion on this legendary yet, since I'm mainly a healer, and I haven't yet to see the details on whenever the legendary will proc with healing or not.

I guess that is a good suggestion, but legendaries are legendaries, after all. Since WoW started, they put legendaries on weapons, and it looks like they'll continue to keep the tradition. But on other hand, you said that it's going to be open to everyone, and well, that kind of clearly defeats the purpose of having a legendary. It is a powerful tool that will help your character, but having everyone to have it won't make it seem a legendary. Of course it could be hard, but if you're going to obtain it anyway then it shouldn't really be a legendary.

Examples

I really love this idea, because it would be different than say keeping legendary weapons. But Blizzard being how they are, won't want to spend too much time on a very long quest line. They did have a fishing pole that dropped off of the rare in Vash'jir once, that was a legendary but took it out of the game before it was released. Crafty's Pole I believe it was called. BUT the point to legedaries is for them to be rare, unique and extremely hard to get. Shadowmourne was my favourite back in the day because it was only obtainable by three classes (Paladin Death Knight and Warrior) and it had alot of work to it too. And the end rewards for getting Shadowmourne and killing the Lich King was amazing.