Restoration - H Iron Qon Advice

7 posts in this topic

So, my guild is working on heroic Iron Qon right now. After struggling through the first phase, we finally found a strategy that worked for us, and we do not have any problems during P2 or P3 until the dogs come out. Once the dogs start dealing that extra damage, the healers are panicking, we're getting sloppy, and we run out of CDs before we can even get to the Fist Smashes.

I heal with a restoration shaman and a holy paladin. Any advice on cooldown usage throughout the fight? I know that our two bear tanks are also using HotW for this fight and popping tranq when it looks necessary. I'll post our logs from last night, if that'll help anyone.

Thank you!

our group heals with a disc/holy priest (whichever she wants to do that day they both do about equal healing) and she does about 120k sustained on this fight.. our druid is doing around 100k.. unfort our shaman is where our weakness is because they are really just a elemental shaman who was willing to switch and they only do like 40-50k.. looks like i'm going to have to switch back from my Warlock to my paladin to heal because he just can't manage it effectively.. that being said it looks like your healing is a bit low.. how are you doing on your mana?

I feel like I'm okay on mana. The only time I dip is when I have to get sloppy (healer down, no CDs, etc) which only happened on a couple of pulls.

Restoration Shamans seem to be really disappointing in 10man at the moment too.

In 25man their aoe heals are incredible, but for 10man, especially with bubblers in the group, they just dont perform well in general.

Their mastery doesn't suit a PVE environment where healers spend their time making sure people don't drop in health.

How's the groups communication? How much do you - as a healing team - talk about who should pop cool downs and when?

It may not be suitable to chat over vent about this before a pull - depending on your team - but it may help to set yourselves up a little in-game chat channel so you can discuss these things. It really helps with that "oh shit oh shit people are dying" moment.

I heal with a disc priest and a holy paladin, and before a fight we know when each of us is going to use a cd, this avoids overlapping and therefore moments when you don't have one available.

We do communicate about raid healing cooldowns on our vent, and include the DPS as well to include things like our two DPS Shamans' Healing Tide Totems or my Tranquility (Druid tank). That's part of how we beat better-geared guilds to our Lei Shen kill, and we didn't have a Priest at all.

then I guess it's just a case of:

Keep Calm

Heal Your

Ass Off

Best of luck guys and keep us posted

Well, we got him last night, and I used a lot of the advice that I received here and on MMO-Champ.

Apparently, our biggest issue was just the kill order of the dogs. The first time we got to P4 we got him down, even with two people (one of which was a healer) dead. Looking at my own healing, it was still pretty sloppy, but I think that when the other healer went OOM, it was just a matter of getting messy and trying to keep everyone alive, so I found myself dumping retarded heals at the end. Other than that (and something I'll be able to fix once he becomes more of a farm) is shrooming a lot more and making better use of my less-powerful CDs. For instance, I got into a bad habit of only pairing NV up with Tree, which is a waste of a talent I really could be using on CD for 20% extra heals every 1.5m. I'm going to talk to a druid friend of mine as to where and when he normally places and pops his mushrooms, but as of now, I had only been making heavy use of them during P1 and at the start of P4 (if they overcharged again, then at the end of P4, as well). But with how powerful mushrooms are now, it's really stupid of me not to be abusive with them. Once our kill gets really clean, I'll start playing around with other talents, as well. A lot of people have told me that using FoN and constantly keeping 1 treant up and popping all three for a burst is viable on this fight but that SotF is passing up both by far (I myself don't have a lot of experience with SotF).

Any way, thanks for the help guys. We decided on mushrooms > Ascendance > Aura Mastery for our pre-Fist Smash damage, and then we just cycled through tranq, devos, HTTs, Spirit Link, etc on Fist Smashes.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dominia
      <Mythic on Mains> is a heroic raid team comprised of adult raiders who value their time while progressing through current content. The core group came together in Warlords and cleared all content on both Normal and Heroic.
      We raid Thursday and Sunday evenings.
      Invites: 7:45pm -- First Pull: 8:00pm -- End: 11:00pm  (Eastern)
      We are a laid back group looking to have fun while working on current content.
      There will be wipes as we learn. But no raging tantrums or frothing at the mouth. Adult humor and language in chat and voice is ok, however be respectful and mature.
      Be available for a majority of both scheduled evenings (Thu/Sun) and for the entire scheduled raid time (Invites: 7:45pm, End: 11:00pm).
      We have very low tolerance for no-shows. We understand emergencies happen but ask that you make every effort to let us know of an absence as much in advance as possible. Remember there are other humans setting aside their time to do this as well. 
      Gear must be enchanted with appropriate enchants. 
      Slotted gear must be gemmed with appropriate gems.
      Maintain an appropriate understanding of your class talents and rotations. Healers must be able to heal effectively. Tanks must be able to tank effectively. DPS must be able to pew pew effectively.
      Bring appropriate buff food, potions (heal, mana, combat), and flasks.
      Read and view fight strategies and videos when asked. 
      Graciously take suggestions for improvement and direction on voice chat. 
      Bring the fun.
      If you are interested in joining us, please post the following information on Discord at and someone will get back to you as soon as possible:
      Toon Name@Server
      Class: Spec/Off Spec
      Main Spec: iLevel / artifact level / AK level
      Prior Raid Experience
      You do NOT have to server transfer or join the guild to play with us.
      Contact info:
      BNet: Dominia#1504
      Discord: Dominia#5437
      Twitter: @TheRealDominia
    • By Kathriana
      Guild Vengeance (Alonsus) is recruiting for hc/mythic raids in legion!
      We are a mature 18+ guild with a core team of experienced players. Atm we are raiding EN hc, our progress is 7/7 hc. We are ready to start on mythic and are currently looking for active and dedicated players to complete our raiding team. Our raiding days: wed, thus, mon 20-23 ST.
      What we expect from players: Have you char raid ready with appropriate raiding specs, enchants, gems and consumables, for a raiding rank to be able to attend at least 2-3 raids per week, be prepared with tactics and have at least some heroic raiding experience. Be mature and have positive raiding attitude.
      What we will provide: As a guild we have existed since TBC and we have cleared all raids on heroic and mythic difficulty in previous expansions. During our raids we make sure that we have solid tactics that is always adjusted to the group composition, we provide fast and effective problem solving if there are any issues occurring during the encounter. And most importantly we have a good and enjoyable raiding atmosphere, we make sure we progress, kill bosses and have fun at the same time!
      Who we are recruiting: Currently we are looking for Ranged DPS. Any other exceptional applicants might be considered.
      To Apply:
      For any questions:VR1#2581
    • By Reikettsu
      Like A Boss - 7/7H Recruiting Ranged DPS and Heals for Mythic progression.
      About us:
      Like A Boss was founded during WotLK by a small group of in real life friends. We are formerly a 10-man Heroic raiding guild that raided throughout WotLK and went on a hiatus during Firelands (Cataclysm). We are a semi-hardcore guild, and are looking for dedicated members who are able to make majority (if not all) of our scheduled raids.
      What we are looking for:
      We currently have 15 raiders and we are looking to recruit more members to join our flexible raid roster so that we may progress into Mythic raids. At this moment, we are only seeking out ranged DPS (prefer lock, mage, or hunter) and healers (prefer druid or monk).
      Additional information and scheduled raids:
      Our raids are currently on Tues/Wed/Sun from 6:30pm PST till 8:30pm PST and we use Ventrilo for our raids. We typically try out new recruits for at least a week or two to ensure that it is a good fit for both the recruit as well as our guild. Raid spots are not guaranteed due to the flexible raid roster (ie. if we only have 2 healers available, we cannot do 20man that night).
      If you are interested in our guild or want to know more, please message/add Shells-Bloodscalp or Ryozul#1598. For the horde!
    • By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [3/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By Ackthal
      <Elite> Kel'thuzad (Alliance, US)

Recruiting ranged DPS and healers (855+) for our core heroic raid team. Raid times are Wed/Sun 7:30pm-11:00pm MST. We have plans to push mythic raid content once we have our raid team filled. Also recruiting all skilled players interested in Mythic+ dungeons. Please join our recruitment channel in Discord (, reply to this post, or contact Khryseiss, Snodobaggins, Ackthal, or Unumalum in-game.

<Elite> is an inaugural guild forming the foundation of what is to become an amazing online gaming community. Founding members consist of real life friends and family. We are bringing together our time, resources, skill-sets, and past gaming experiences with the goal of creating a unique environment where people can connect with others who are highly skilled, level-headed, friendly, and fun to be around. Our core membership consists of players with past Mythic/Old Heroic raiding and Gold Challenge Mode experience, as well as many other high-end gaming experiences in other game titles.

We are growing at a fast pace with an increasing pool of players that are focused on Mythic+ content and raiding. We are looking for like-minded people who take the game seriously enough to put in the effort for progression, but at the same time realize that real life, friendships, community, and having fun are more important than clearing content and obtaining gear. Having a sensible demeanor and good attitude is a must. New PVE opportunities are on the horizon, including legacy raiding for achievements/mounts. Please contact us if you are interested. Thank you!