FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
tale

Assassination rotation for non-raid?

I posted this as a comment over on the Assassination guide, but was told to start a thread here.  Sorry for the original error.

The rotations section is written for using the raid build from the cheat sheet setup.  If I'm instead using the casual solo/dungeon setup, is this what it works out to?

1. Maintain Rupture on primary and secondary targets (up to 3 targets).
2. Activate Vendetta on the primary target when it is off cooldown.
3. Activate Vanish if off cooldown and you have 5 Combo Points, then Mutilate.
5. Maintain Garrote on the primary target.
7. Cast Envenom to spend extra Combo Points.
8. Cast Mutilate to generate Combo Points.

Thanks for the guide!  My main raider is a mage but I like to have basic competence in all the classes.

Yeah that looks about right.

The only thing that I'll point out is while soloing there isn't much in the way of a rotation simply because things die a lot more quickly. On a related note, Rupture needs to have time to tick down, so if a target won't live for very long then you should be using something else, like Envenom

• Like 1

A question tho:

3. Activate Vanish if off cooldown and you have 5 Combo Points, then Mutilate.

Why Mutilate when you're full (or 5/6 if using Stratagem) CPs? Wouldn't you be wasting CPs? Why not a finisher? And as Carrn said, don't worry much about CDs on those, they die too quick. If fighting against a rare or higher pool, the raiding rotation will yield good results.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2016 at 0:00 PM, Carrn said:

The only thing that I'll point out is while soloing there isn't much in the way of a rotation simply because things die a lot more quickly. On a related note, Rupture needs to have time to tick down, so if a target won't live for very long then you should be using something else, like Envenom

Ja, thanks for reinforcing that.  Mostly my question for that priority list was for how to be decent in LFG/LFR.   Soloing non-elites is definitely simpler with building a few CPs then Envenom.

On 8/18/2016 at 0:39 PM, lipsinch said:

Why Mutilate when you're full (or 5/6 if using Stratagem) CPs? Wouldn't you be wasting CPs? Why not a finisher?

Agreed, I was sort of scratching my head on that too, because it came from overly simplifying this line from the guide:

1. Activate Vanish Icon Vanish if it is off cooldown and you have 6 Combo Points, then use Rupture Icon Rupture (if you are talented into Nightstalker Icon Nightstalker, otherwise use Mutilate Icon Mutilate).

... when I didn't have Nightstalker.  The line should probably be clarified for the whole Vanish thing if you don't have Nightstalker.  Now I do have it, so Vanish -> Rupture it is.   I wonder if an existing Rupture is not near ending (like, less than 25% to go?) maybe Envenom should be used instead after the Vanish?

Also, the guide doesn't indicate the best use of Marked for Death.  I've been using it whenever it is off cooldown and the I have zero CP.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you!

12 hours ago, tale said:

Also, the guide doesn't indicate the best use of Marked for Death.  I've been using it whenever it is off cooldown and the I have zero CP.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you!

Use MfD for fights that have lots of short lived adds, so you can reset it frequently. Else, use Venom Zest Rush. :P

And you're welcome, we're here to help. =)

I have been testing out kidney shot while soloing and I am often bringing down targets faster - this may because my gear is poor and low crit rate on envenom vs using the bonus damage from the kidney shot talent.