Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ilduros

From Vengeance(5 man content) to Havoc (raid content) transition

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello my fellow Demon Hunters,

I have a small problem/situation that I have to overcome / solve during the first weeks of Legion. I think that there are a couple of people who also have the same problem, so I hope that someone has an answer for me.

So here's my situation: Me and 4 other friends are going to run heroic + mythic dungeons in the first couple of weeks in Legion together. We are all in the same guild/raid. In this dungeon farming period I am going to tank (V-DH). My plan was to tank in raid content aswell, but unfortunately the raid lead is in no need of tanks and therefore their only offer was a DPS slot in the raid. This was a no brainer to me: Either I'll play solo as a tank in another raid, or I'll play DPS together with my friends in the raid. So now I am studying everything there is about H-DH aswell. One thing which bothers me, and where I haven't found a specific plan for, was how to balance my gear choices so we as a 5 man group can advance in heroics + mythics quickly with me as a tank, without being handicapped (or at least minimize my handicap) as a DPS when the raids start. Please keep in mind that the raid isn't a hardcore progression guild, but plans to do mythic raids early on.

So my question is: How should I farm my gear? Should I run 50% of the time with Havoc Loot turned on (even when I am tanking) and the other 50%? What am I going to do with my artifact weapon? Get both at 13 first, then focussing on my Havoc Artifact weapons? Or just focus on them, since an unskilled Vengeance Artifact weapon might be enough? My goal is to minimize my handicap, have enough gear for my Vengeance spec in order to run all mythic dungeons and at the same time being prepared for the raids as a havoc. Is this even possible?

Kind regards

Edited by Ilduros

It depends on how much work you want to put into this whole thing. If your plan is to play 2-3 hours a day between launch and raid, then you're not going to be very effective in either role and need to pick one and stick with it. If you plan on spending 6-9 hours a day average then making what you want to work is totally doable (I think it will take less time - something like 5-7 a day, but I'm not sure.)

Personally I'm doing basically the same thing as you, Vengance for groups with friends and then Havoc for raid. I'm going to be doing my Veng weapon first and spending only enough points to get my Charred Warblades trait. This only costs 14 traits and should give you enough AP (as long as you do ALL of your dailies/random heroic/order hall stuff/mythics each week) to ALSO get 20 traits in your havoc weapon before raid is released, 20 is exactly what you need for your first two gold traits.

Gearing I'm going to be loot-spec'd as Havoc for 99% of my heroics/mythics. The only time I'll be changing is when the boss has a tanking trinket. If you get gear that is more survivability based for Vengeance then use it, otherwise your normal havoc priority gear will do good enough for Veng.

Again though, double check loot for bosses before you kill it. If the boss doesn't have anything you need for Havoc but does have something solid for Veng, loot-spec for veng. This is, IMO, better then fishing for WF/sockets that you will most likely not get.

1 person likes this

Very solid advice. 

Gear should be interchangeable between the two apart from trinkets and maybe one or two other items.  Suss out what raid bosses your planning to kill each week and have a note which drops which for yourself to allow for smooth switching of loot spec's. 

I am going to play 7-8 hours a day on average, so this should be doable. Regarding the trinket: Are you aiming to get the tanking trinket BEFORE the havoc trinket? And then when you have the tanking trinket, you just try to get the havoc trinket?

Ye, very solid advice, I really appreciate it. And I think that a couple of demon hunters will face this situation (and even other classes / speccs ofc).

If your raid slot is for dps, then get the dps trinket first.  (it wont be bad for tanking, just not optimal)

If boss X drops a tank trinket and doesn't drop a decent dps upgrade for you, loot spec for tanking and cross your fingers.

If boss  Y drops both trinkets, loot spec for dps and fingers crossed. 

Good luck with it

lol 7-9hr a day on average. Who the hell has that kind of time?

A lot of people actually.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aymana
      Quick Info
      Server - Argent Dawn - EU
      Faction - Alliance
      Raid Days - Tuesdays + Sundays
      Raid Times - Tuesday: 20:00 - 23:00 Server Time. Sunday: 20:00 -23:00 Server Time. 
      Loot System - Master Looter or Personal Loot, depending on the situation. 
      Website - oathkeepersad.enjin.com
      We have cleared 7/7 of Emerald Nightmare normal and 7/7 heroic. Trial of Valor 3/3 normal.

We're Recruiting

★ Druid (Feral, Balance, Guardian) - Medium
      ★ Hunter - High
      ★ Priest (Shadow) - High
      ★ Rogue - High
      ★ Death Knight (Blood) - High
      ☆ We are primarily looking for DPS. If your class is not listed you are still very welcome to apply!

Applicants should have appropriate item level for the current content. If you do not then you’re welcome to join the guild until you reach that goal, we will help you as much as we’re able. We mostly look for reliable, fun, and mature people over gear. Though gear does help a lot. 

Are you for us?
      Are you a person who....

• Is looking for a long term community?
      • Prefers dogs to cats?
      • Is competent at keeping up to date with their class and puts in that extra 10% effort?
      • Has an awesome sense of humor?
      • Can accept and use constructive criticism to both improve as a player and make the guild stronger?
      • Enjoys long walks in the park and holding hands at sundown?
      • Can assess their own performance without the need of having someone breathing down the back of their neck?
      • Did I mention has an awesome sense of humor? This is pretty important.

Are we for you?
      Are you searching for a guild that....

• Recruits Smart - We recruit what we need, and a little extra to ease everyone's minds so they can in fact miss a raid night if they really need to.
      • Consists of older players, most of us are in our late 20s - we even have an old timer in his staggering 40s!
      • Understands that life has it's ups and downs, and that members will in fact miss a raid or two once in a while.
      • Has fun during raids - We focus on progression, but having fun is key to our success and always has been for us in the past. We dig at each other during raids to get a reaction, we sing to each other.. Ever played 'The floor is lava' whilst waiting for a healer to finish pooping? It's very enjoyable.
      • Is able to speak fully coherent English to put points across quickly and effectively - Apart from Rolenta, his English is so broken it hurts your head trying to decipher what he's saying.
      • Will welcome you with open arms and include you in every single inside joke that currently exists and will ever exist as long as you put effort into being a part of us?
      • Has a website URL that reads as Oathkeeper Sad and makes you sad face :(

So now that you've made it this far, I can tell you're interested in us... and we're interested in you! But be sure to buy us dinner first, we're not some cheap date!

Who are we really?
      The core of Oathkeepers have been playing WoW together for going on 5 years now. Sadly we've lost some friends over the time to other games or that dreaded thing called real life, but we've made some new friends too! We're looking to fill out our roster to do more heroic raids - We've had our hurdles to climb to get running again, but we're here now at last!

We are a friendly bunch that are happy to meet new faces. We have a combinedexperience of all content clears whilst the content was current, and on all difficulties.

So how do you apply?
      Hit up that link near the top of the thread. In fact, here's another link for you! - oathkeepersad.enjin.com/ - Damn I'm good to you aren't I? Be sure to make an account with Enjin (our host) then hit that apply button! You'll need to fill in a short application form, so we can get an idea of who you are.

Want to know a bit more about us before committing to hitting that submit application button? Or maybe you just want a chat before making your decision No problemo! Our officers are online a little too much, it's kinda sad. But either way, get in touch with any of the following people!:
      • Neiwaru/Aymana
      • Dalarian/Sylvanart
      • Kukishin (He only has one character of any importance…)

If you fail to catch us online, or are currently on another server, feel free to add any of us to your bnet list:
      • Aymana#2669 - Aymana
      • Supergaga#2706 - Dalarian

• By rebkah
      Hello, everybody! We're Heralds of Strife, a Horde raiding guild on Wyrmrest Accord. We are looking to pick up more players for upcoming Nighthold progression.
      What We're About

Heralds of Strife is a warm, welcoming community. Our current members range from previous top US 34th raiders to promising newcomers that are hungry to learn and improve. When we are not raiding, we are actively playing many games, from Hearthstone to Overwatch and many others that our guild members have suggested. Heralds of Strife is more than just a raiding guild on World of Warcraft, we are friends who are looking to have fun and get to know each other in our free time. That said, our primary focus will always be to complete the most challenging content that World of Warcraft has to offer during its relevance.

Current Progression
      4/7 Mythic EN
      3/3 Heroic ToV

Raid Schedule
      Tuesday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Saturday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Monday 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST

Loot System

We use a Loot Council with defined parameters. This is broken down into several categories:
      Attendance Performance Attitude Biggest Upgrade Recent Wins
      We publicly record attendance and items received (via RCLootCouncil). Our devoted, down-to-earth leadership has the experience and knowledge needed to ensure upgrades are given to the proper players for progression while maintaining a fair, friendly, and entertaining guild atmosphere.

Trial Period

Heralds of Strife is a raiding guild primarily. As such, we do have a trial period for new recruits. With that being said, new raiders will have a 2 week trial period. This trial period begins at the start of the first raid upon joining, and ends on the last raid of the 2nd week.
      The three core principles expected of trials:

Reliability Positivity Adaptability
      Reliability: We expect our trial raiders to show up for raids, on time, and prepared with the basic necessities to do the raid efficiently. We also expect our trials to have some knowledge on encounters, but we are more than willing to help teach and nurture our raiders. Make a commitment with us and we will do our very best to make sure that you're taken care of. We want to get to know you, as you're not just numbers on our spreadsheet. Here in Heralds of Strife,YOU matter.

Positivity: We encourage our trial raiders, and our members, in general, to have a positive attitude, ranging from casual conversation to raid progression. There will be nights where progression might seem rough, but, pushing forward with a positive mindset are one of the keys to success. C'mon team, we can do this!

Adaptability: Our leadership takes the opportunity to analyze our performance logs after each raid night, offering those who are lagging behind some constructive assistance in the long-term goal of improving the player. Our team is only as strong as the player next to us, so we want to work together to overcome any obstacle that may be hindering our performance. Our motto is "iron sharpens iron".

Recruiting

Tank:
      -Warrior, Death Knight
      Healer:
      -Shaman, Druid, Paladin
      Melee:
      -Warrior, Demon Hunter, Paladin
      Ranged:
      -Hunter, Mage, Warlock, Druid

How To Join

Fill out an application @ heralds.wowlaunch.com. If we're interested in your application, we will reach out to you ASAP for a follow-up interview in Discord.

References:

(Battletags)
      Lorvid - Lorvid#1749 (GM)
      Ritticus - Ritticus#1171 (Co-GM)
      Amashka - JayRinzler#1405 (Officer)
      Effuse - Ignorance#1506 (Officer)
      (Discord)
      Rebkah - Rebkah#1877 (Officer)
    • By Navet
      About Bonus Stage
      We are a weekend raiding guild with a well-established and diverse group of core members. Our raid times accommodate multiple types of people with school and jobs that don't have a lot of time to commit during the week but still want to raid at a decent progression level. 
      Raid Times
      Saturday and Sunday; 10 am to 14 pm (EST)
      Progession
      3/7 Mythic Emerald Nightmare.
      2/3 Heroic Trial of Valor.
      Loot System
      We use EPGP to distribute loot in a fair manner. We have a healthy decay system in place to help newer members catch up in PR to veteran raiders within the guild.
      Recrutement Need
      We are looking for motivated players that can play their class, not just one spec.
      Players that will play their class to their maximum potential. 
      Preferred/Need:
      Hunter
      Mage
      Spriest
      Boomkin
      Resto Druid
      MW Monk
      Could be useful:
      Warrior
      Retribution
      Minimum Requirements
      870 ilvl+ with 3 golden traits unlock
      7/7 Heroic Emerald Nightmare
      Best enchants and consumables

Apply @ http://bonustageguild.guildlaunch.com/
      Contacts info
      Ahloris#1613 - "Ahloris" - Guild Master
      Terrific#11936 - "Terrific" - Raid Leader
      Bigstoff#1891 - "Hypnotyk" - Officer
      Navet#1532 - "Navet" - Officier
    • By Darkvo1ce
      Hi, I used AksMrRobot to sim my char and as I thought I'm underperforming for my ilvl according to mrRobot I should do around 300k dps with my ilvl 869 gear but I'm sitting on 200k-240k-ish I do know that I don't have any enchants on my gear which is a dps loss but I think the enchats will give me maybe only 10k which means there still 50k left which I'm missing.
      I mainly do Mythic+ dungeons but from time to time I do the raids or at least the Emerals Nightmare
      My latest log is available through this link warcraftlogs
      here is my armory link 
      I think the main issue is my bad momentum usage but maybe I'm wrong. 
      I'm looking forward to your feedback