FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zeddsdedd

Tanks and Beastmaster hunters

As a beastmaster hunter, I have had a problem with getting kicked from dungeons by tanks complaing that my pet was pulling his/her aggro and asking me to turn growl off. Being a regular dungeon runner I dont have growl in the spell albeit that a tank should be able to hold aggro. It appears that Lynx Rush is causing them problems, with the high threat, is it me or should the tank be able to hold aggro of the threat thats producced by LR.

Zedd

Just to be sure, you can't just not use Growl, you have to right-click it so that it's not lit. Then your pet will not use it in its rotation. Even in leveling dungeons I rarely have issues unless the tank is ignoring mobs completely.

Just to be sure, you can't just not use Growl, you have to right-click it so that it's not lit. Then your pet will not use it in its rotation. Even in leveling dungeons I rarely have issues unless the tank is ignoring mobs completely.

Dont have growl in rotation, remove it from the spellbar when running dungeons, guess it must be the tank that needs to hold aggro better. It's only a couple of times but quite frustrating especially when another 2 members agree with the tank and kick you when you have high DPS and not doing anything wrong.

Zedd

When you say you don't have it in the rotation, do you mean you don't press it or that you have turned it off so the pet won't autocast it? Removing it from the spellbar does nothing (other than not allowing you to change it) put it back on. You have to make sure on your pet action bar that growl is not lit. You can achieve this by right clicking on the growl spell. You should always have this spell on your action bar, just make sure it is not lit and if the tank is about to die then simply left click it. Posted Image

As far as LR (or any dps ability) I've never had a problem (even when gearing up my tank) with losing threat on my target. Now if dps is focusing on a different target than me, then I could lose aggro for a second or two (of course that's what taunt is for) but then i switch to that target and it's no problem.

A quick note, if you don't see growl on your action BAR, make sure you disable it in your spellBOOK. It's under the pet tab and just getting my first spirit beast I initially had to go to the book to disable it since by default it wasn't on the bar. Also please keep in mind some tank classes are better at aoe threat generation than others. DKs are really good at holding mob threat, but I do remember having problems with my prot warrior holding threat when DPS would target something other than my target, especially at the pull. Granted a quick taunt would fix it, but gets to be a problem when DPSers hit multiple targets with their big spells half when I'm waiting for the healer. Personally, it is never an issue that you should get kicked for though.

Growl is on your pet bar. You shouldn't even be able to change anything in that bar IIRC, just right click so that the pet will automatically either use it or ignore it.

Edited by Tarazet

Zed, I play both a beast master hunter and a blood dk. I can tell you from experience, just because you take growl off your pet bar does not mean it is turned off. You have to open your spell book , go to pet, and make sure that thing is disabled. Tenacity pets are cool, however, they have a talent that draws aggro almost as bad as growl. Therefore, if you want to show off your new direhorn or shalespider make sure you either respec them to ferocity or cunning or turn off all tanking abilities....once again some of these don't show on the pet bar, you have to go into the spell book and manually unclick them. We have to look at our talents and be willing to interchange for raiding. Direbeast is a beast! It essentially gives us another pet during its time frame, but it has a dark side as well. You can not control the pet or what type of pet that comes out of that and some of the beasts and dinosaurs that come out of that thing, while I have to say cooler then some pets you can tame, you can not control their abilities or aggro. While Icy says never ever take thrill of the hunt, I've found that sometimes I have to compromise some dps for the sanity of my tank. Lynx Rush has gone from the top of the heap in talents to worthless and draws aggro like crazy. I have pretty much forgone this for blink strike, and besides, blink strike now has a cool feature that it is passive. You can still sit under the enemy grave yard and laugh till they spot you for your pet blinking behind them like a rogue with shadow step when they spawn....just remember your going to be their first target when they discover you....lol. Personally, I know the ones that Icy recommends but I like blink strike and it seems to be on par if not just lower then a murder of crows, but that is just my opinion. I raid and lfr on both my beast master and my blood DK so I have watched what drives me nuts about BM hunters and tried to avoid the same mistakes, just passing it on to you. Yes, a good tank can still grab aggro like I can, but it is a lot easier to avoid these mistakes and save the sanity without getting kicked from the group. And these mistakes can make challenge dungeons impossible like one BM in my guild found out. Poor guy, I didn't kick him or through him out of the group but I did stop the challenge and moved on because his pet was pulling things down on us unintentionally. Challenge dungeons and raids is not the ideal situation to find this out in.

• Like 1

Growl is on your pet bar. You shouldn't even be able to change anything in that bar IIRC, just right click so that the pet will automatically either use it or ignore it.

Doesn't work that way Tarazet, tried it, they still are turned on in your spell book. I agree that would be logical, but it doesn't work that way...kind of like you have to put call of the phoenix on the bar even though this ferocity talent should be there automatically at 90, and some talents like the spider and shale spider's webs are auto and don't have to be on the bar to work.

Zed, I play both a beast master hunter and a blood dk. I can tell you from experience, just because you take growl off your pet bar does not mean it is turned off. You have to open your spell book , go to pet, and make sure that thing is disabled. Tenacity pets are cool, however, they have a talent that draws aggro almost as bad as growl. Therefore, if you want to show off your new direhorn or shalespider make sure you either respec them to ferocity or cunning or turn off all tanking abilities....once again some of these don't show on the pet bar, you have to go into the spell book and manually unclick them. We have to look at our talents and be willing to interchange for raiding. Direbeast is a beast! It essentially gives us another pet during its time frame, but it has a dark side as well. You can not control the pet or what type of pet that comes out of that and some of the beasts and dinosaurs that come out of that thing, while I have to say cooler then some pets you can tame, you can not control their abilities or aggro. While Icy says never ever take thrill of the hunt, I've found that sometimes I have to compromise some dps for the sanity of my tank. Lynx Rush has gone from the top of the heap in talents to worthless and draws aggro like crazy. I have pretty much forgone this for blink strike, and besides, blink strike now has a cool feature that it is passive. You can still sit under the enemy grave yard and laugh till they spot you for your pet blinking behind them like a rogue with shadow step when they spawn....just remember your going to be their first target when they discover you....lol. Personally, I know the ones that Icy recommends but I like blink strike and it seems to be on par if not just lower then a murder of crows, but that is just my opinion. I raid and lfr on both my beast master and my blood DK so I have watched what drives me nuts about BM hunters and tried to avoid the same mistakes, just passing it on to you. Yes, a good tank can still grab aggro like I can, but it is a lot easier to avoid these mistakes and save the sanity without getting kicked from the group. And these mistakes can make challenge dungeons impossible like one BM in my guild found out. Poor guy, I didn't kick him or through him out of the group but I did stop the challenge and moved on because his pet was pulling things down on us unintentionally. Challenge dungeons and raids is not the ideal situation to find this out in.

Thanks a lot, apprecaite the comments