hearthstone Disguised Toast Video: Hearthstone Needs Better Patch Notes

4 posts in this topic

Disguised Toast's latest video addresses his views on Hearthstone's Patch Notes, and why he feels they should be improved.

As someone who regularly writes about the Patch Notes, this video ties in with my thoughts on the matter pretty well. Toast takes some real examples to show why it is important that we get more information.

Part of the fun of playing Hearthstone is discovering how all of the interactions work. This can currently be annoying if an interaction is bugged and we are not aware that it is a bug. I don't believe anyone expects a game to be bug free, but if the Patch Notes were more carefully written, the ability to tell what is a bug and what is not would be greatly improved. This is turn would allow us to enjoy the discovery of weird interactions and not have to then check with the community to see if it was meant to happen.

I would be interested to hear what other people think about this. 

1 person likes this

I'd say it's worth a mention, I doubt it takes more time to write the code than to write the changes on the patch notes.

It may seem fringe stuff but when you plan to crash a token into a freezing, resummon it and evolve everything using all your mana, you don't want for that to be the moment when you discover your token's cost was upped up by one (granted you can read the mana cost on the card, but reading and Hearthstone player rarely go together).

I still fail to understand why Frothing takes 3 damage from Lightbomb, are you telling me he takes damage, the ability triggers and THEN the damage is inflicted? I fail to see the logic here!

1 person likes this

3 damage seems a hilarious amount for it to take. The previous interaction _could_ have been logical. The current one is mind blowing.

2 people like this

I absolutely agree with Toast. Everything Blizzard does should be crystal clear and digestible - that's one of their game designing priorities, their game dev bushido.

A lot of things and interactions in Hearthstone aren't clear and that's obviously bad. The most obvious example is Deathrattles - who can figure it out on their own? It was never explained anywhere in the game. There is no such thing as an actual tutorial on game mechanics or a comprehensive rulebook, and that is bad. Knowing how Deathrattles work gives an actual strategic edge to the player, which I believe should not be a hidden information at any point. Implement a small number next to skull-and-bones to show the order of triggering, maybe?

Magic : The Gathering has it clear - a whooping 350 pages rulebook that officially explains how everything works - keywords, game phases, triggers - you name it, they have it. Basically every player worth his salt knows at least basic principles, and there are tons of authorized judges who know all the rules and study them looking "Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object" memes (there are a ton of these, actually). And if you don't know the rules, you can always google them. And find them on an actual WotC site, not Reddit or Hearthhead that are run by fans, not developers.

Magic Online is a gold standard for a buggy mess, but that's a whole another story.

My point is, I've been playing this game since Beta and I still don't know why does my Avenge sometimes procs that way it buffs a 0 health minion and it doesn't die. I don't know why does Fronthing Berserker takes 3 damage from Lightbomb. I don't know why does Sylvanas Windrunner steals Yogg-Saron spells when she dies. I desperately want to discover the truth, and do so using Hearthstone.exe, not Twitter, YouTube and Reddit. And I bet I'm not the only one.