FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
neytirri

What is a disc priest good for in legion

Uncommon Patron

I've seen a lot of guilds advertising for a holy priest but not disc. I have played holy but disc is pretty much my favorite since its very ,much like a class i played in my other game. 

any thoughts ?  

I am so confused on this character.  I get a 2nd choice for a artifact weapon as either Holy or Shadow.  I want to stay as a Disc and have no idea what to do.  I have several artifact increases and they seem to go in the 2nd, Shadow spot, when I check on my weapon status.  Any suggestions?  If I pick either weapon does that mean I have to change my spec?

Uncommon Patron

ziennaz you will eventually have all 3 artifact weapons so it doesnt matter which one you chose to go with, and no you dont have to change your spec. 

A catch to that though, if i remember correctly when you do the quests for the 2nd and 3rd art weapon you may have to be in the spec you are trying to get the weapon for. But after you get it you can switch back to disc. 

From what I have found so far when tanking on my druid, Disc can DEFINITELY hold its own in mythic dungeons right now, but it's very easy to tell a bad disc from a good one.

I think disc will struggle in high M+, essentially being unable to heal past a certain level.

For raids, there will be spots on certain fights, especially when reaching farm and you no longer need 3 or 4 healers, for example. For progression, they will fill the spot that the off-spec healer used to.

2 hours ago, Sugartits said:

i wrote this post when my gear stats were all over the place- now that my haste has gotten higher i am playing so much better =D

What was the magic number for you?

4 hours ago, Sugartits said:

i wrote this post when my gear stats were all over the place- now that my haste has gotten higher i am playing so much better =D

Glad to hear it!

I enjoy the different play style of disc. Healing through damage is an awesome idea.

I am a huge disc newbie. What do you do when the group messes up, doesn't kill adds, doesn't abide by the mechanics, and you are in the "oh shit" moment as a healer? I struggle at that point as Disc. Badly.

58 minutes ago, chicken said:

I am a huge disc newbie. What do you do when the group messes up, doesn't kill adds, doesn't abide by the mechanics, and you are in the "oh shit" moment as a healer? I struggle at that point as Disc. Badly.

I think all healers struggle with this situation. Sure some healers will be better at handling it, but I think its a good thing to struggle. The goal, in my mind, is that everyone has a part to play, and needs to work together.

As for disc, just pop power infusion and spam SM and PW:R and hope for the best, haha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I enjoy the different play style of disc. Healing through damage is an awesome idea.

As Eagle says above, no matter what you play, this moment is a nightmare for every healer. You just kind of learn to deal with it and, if people die, know that it most likely wasn't your fault.

If people die because they ignore mechanics, it's not your fault. 

You can't heal stupid.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2016 at 9:28 PM, chicken said:

The guys above already answered this nicely, I want to make only one addition: think in advance (before you are going into an instance) what would be your "to-go" reaction to an "oh, shit" situation for both single target and group. When it happens, there's no time to start to plan your actions or to hesitate. You have to know exactly that, for example, if tank drops below 40% HP, you cast X,Y,Z or if all the group going down, your spells are (just as an example): Power Infusion-> Rapture-> PW:S on the group-> Plea if someone didn't get a shield -> Artifact Ability -> Divine Star/Halo and then resume your Shadow Mend or dps rotation.

Never 'conserve' your CDs to some 'next oh-shit situation' - your group or your tank is low - use your CDs. They have 1.5-3 min CD and will be back ready just after another pack or a couple of them. Saving CDs for some vague future may make you feel stressed being 'behind' on healing.

Remember that in dungeons the trash is more dangerous than bosses so don't save CDs specifically for bosses.

Tank is always your healing prio. If dps are pulling packs or purposely staying in fire (meaning - I know that it's bad but will stay and dps. You heal me) - let them die :)

Uncommon Patron

I use a couple healer addons- vuhdo, and atonement tracker. During any intense situation im constantly mousing over the raid frames applying atonement, using shadow mend if need be, PW: Barrier and Divine star. All thing along with dps'ing the mobs/bosses I dont really have too many deaths unless youve got an unruly melee class not using their personal cd's.

Edit- also your lil friend, the shadow squid guy helps with dps and mana.

oh and always remember set tank as focus =D 

Edited by Sugartits

On 14.9.2016 at 8:43 AM, Pandacho said:

When it happens, there's no time to start to plan your actions or to hesitate.

This right here is one of the best reasons why people should either use an addon like Vuhdo or keybind. 

On 14.9.2016 at 0:39 PM, Sugartits said:

an unruly melee class

totally not me.

With discipline the main thing is getting atonement on people before the damage comes out so you can keep doing your dps rotation. If you take a few seconds after people get bursted to cast a couple shadow mends, you're losing dps and healing in the time you could have cast a few damage spells and healed for more. 

In dungeons at least I would say the 2nd final tier talent (grace?) Is going to help with those emergency heals. Starting out in the fight I will shield the tank, cast radiance to get 3 more atonement out, and plea the final person. Maintain shield on the tank and plea any atonement that is about to fall off, and dps between all that. This lets me make sure that I can continue to do damage while putting out heals. Sorry for the long response but this is just my method for keeping the team healthy without too much panic

• Like 1

Uncommon Patron
On 9/13/2016 at 5:44 AM, Drkdragon said:

What was the magic number for you?

sorry didnt see this question before- at the time i posted this i believe my mastery was almost 50% my haste was like 9% and my crit i dont remember.

Ive been doing every single world quest i can and stacking as much haste as i can and now my haste is up to 22% crit 18% mastery 29% i cant seem to lose that mastery.

as for the magic number i guess is when my haste got to about 20% is when things got better.

The haste made things quicker, but the mouseover macros were what helped the most. I didnt see any macros in the icy veins macro section for disc over then leap of faith so I didnt know i had to use them. I was talking to someone in guild about it and they said i should use mouseover macros and I had no idea. :)

Edited by Sugartits