craazzy

Marksman Rotation Questions

25 posts in this topic

So ive been trying to learn my Marksman rotation since I came back Pre-legion. Ive been reading on here, tried noxxic (lol) and still have a few questions. Im running Barrage, Lock and Load, and Patient Sniper.

 

My normal rotation looks generally like this:

Precast Aimed shot
Barrage (greater than 1 target)
Sidewinders(on Proc or capped)
Marked Shot(on Proc)
Aimed shot
Aimed shot
By this point ill either have a Sidewinder proc up to restart my single target rotation, or if its an aoe pull ill use barrage before moving back to my normal rotation

Ill throw in Windburst when I have no Sidewinders or Marked shot procs and vulnerable is down. Ill cast barrage on CD when im not mid-Vulnerable. Aimed shot as a filler when im not focus starved and have no procs.

My Question is this: It appears Sidewinders also applies vulnerable, so should I go Sidewinders>Aim>aim>marked>aim>aim, to get the full use out of my vulnerable procs? Or should I stick to my current rotation Using Sidewinder>Marked>aim>aim?  I guess overall, Should I Aimed shot WHENEVER I have vulnerable(after sidewinder, marked shot, windburst), or is there points where using that vulnerable is outweighed by proceeding with a rotation?

It seems that the extra aimed shots might eat up some extra focus, but its not like im constantly focused starved right now. And the sidewinders refills focus as well, so I might end up not capping myself and wasting focus regen. My Dps is usually group leading, at least in pugs, Between 95-105k Overall @lvl 105. Only been beat out overall dps in 1 or 2 groups, so its not like my rotation now doesn't work, I'm just looking for that maximization.

Aside from this question, any other tips are welcome! Thanks in Advance for any feedback!!

 

EDIT: After Discussion, more research, and re-reading the guide it looks like the best way to open should roughly be simplified to:
Trueshot
Barrage
Sidewinder
Marked Shot
Aimed Shot
Aimed shot

A "Normal" cycle throughout a fight should be to use 3 Aimed shots in the time that you use 1 Sidewinder and 1 Marked shot:

Sidewinder
Aimed shot
Marked shot
Aimed shot
Aimed shot

Or

Sidewinder
Aimed shot
Aimed shot
Marked shot
Aimed shot

dependent on when movement is required.

I personally will be using barrage on CD *IF* I have less than 2 seconds remaining on vulnerable debuff. If I have more than 2 seconds left, I might as well squeeze in 1 more buffed Aimed shot before proceeding to barrage, providing I have enough focus to immediately follow the aimed shot with barrage. It gets a Little confusing but this is a decent starting point.

 


 

Edited by craazzy
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, craazzy said:

My Question is this: It appears Sidewinders also applies vulnerable, so should I go Sidewinders>Aim>aim>marked>aim>aim, to get the full use out of my vulnerable procs? Or should I stick to my current rotation Using Sidewinder>Marked>aim>aim?  I guess overall, Should I Aimed shot WHENEVER I have vulnerable(after sidewinder, marked shot, windburst), or is there points where using that vulnerable is outweighed by proceeding with a rotation?

It seems that the extra aimed shots might eat up some extra focus, but its not like im constantly focused starved right now. And the sidewinders refills focus as well, so I might end up not capping myself and wasting focus regen. My Dps is usually group leading, at least in pugs, Between 95-105k Overall @lvl 105. Only been beat out overall dps in 1 or 2 groups, so its not like my rotation now doesn't work, I'm just looking for that maximization.

Aside from this question, any other tips are welcome! Thanks in Advance for any feedback!!


 

To Quote Azortharion : "The basic idea is to get as much out of the Vulnerable IconVulnerable windows as possible by maximizing focus spending in it, while minimizing focus spendage outside it"

In short,

  1. Cast Marked Shot IconMarked Shot when it is available.
  2. Cast Barrage IconBarrage on cooldown.
  3. Cast IconWindburst on cooldown.
  4. Cast Aimed Shot IconAimed Shot when you have enough focus, and Vulnerable IconVulnerable is active.
  5. Cast Sidewinders IconSidewinders when you get a Marking Targets IconMarking Targets proc, or when it reaches 2 charges.

  I have found that MM is all about managing the debuff on mobs and player buffs/procs so the rotation can change a bit depending on procs and necessary movement during encounters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mowhowk said:

 

  1. Cast Marked Shot IconMarked Shot when it is available.
  2. Cast Barrage IconBarrage on cooldown.
  3. Cast IconWindburst on cooldown.
  4. Cast Aimed Shot IconAimed Shot when you have enough focus, and Vulnerable IconVulnerable is active.
  5. Cast Sidewinders IconSidewinders when you get a Marking Targets IconMarking Targets proc, or when it reaches 2 charges.

 

I get lost by step 1 and 4. Like, I get marked proc, do I:
Aim > Aim > Marked > Aim Aim
Or do I:
Marked > Aim > Aim > Sidewinders/Something else.

I also think this is what OP is wondering aswell :)


I currently do the first rotation I mentioned, since I make more use of vulnerability and the marked shot doesn't go to waste since I use it a few secs later. Afaik its the best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I did some more research. Watched a few youtube videos, and did some playing when I got home. According to the videos, you SHOULD NOT be using marked shot directly following Sidewinders. My rotation ended up looking like this:

Sidewinders
Aimed shot 
Marked shot
Aimed shot
Aimed shot

Usually after the 3rd Aimed shot im barely below 50 Focus for my 4th Aimed shot, so I either wait for a regen tick to cast the 4th or throw out a sidewinder. If it was a larger pull I might open with barrage because it still procs my sidewinders. With sidewinders coming second in the rotation and restoring 50 focus, you're guaranteed to have full focus after the cast, as aimed shot is 50 focus, barrage is in the same neighborhood, and windburst is 20.

It seems this method (aimed shot between sidewinder/marked)is a tiny bit less aoe efficient but possibly more single target efficient.  Definitely get more out of your vulnerable, instead of wasting a whole 6sec from the sidewinder/markedshot combo, but you do run into a focus issue living by this rotation religiously. Im still trying to work out the best points to barrage and windburst, because you pretty much have vulnerable up for the first 30 sec, so any normal world mob is dead before you have no vulnerable to throw out barrage and not waste your debuff.

 

Mmkay, the goal is to keep up vulnerable, and cast as many aimed shots as possible. Sidewinders Puts vulnerable and Hunters mark on the target (hunters mark opens up marked shot), so you want to use youre 6sec of vulnerable from Sidewinders to cast aimed shots (x2), before using your marked shot proc, which adds vulnerable again then use another two aimed shots, before moving on in the rotation. Try out the rotation I mentioned above, and I think youll get the general idea! If not feel free to PM me and we can talk this through together in game!!

Edited by craazzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers, thanks for confirming it. I've been playing with the AS > AS > MS > AS > AS pretty much.
I thought it would be the best, but I didn't know for sure :=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It seems this method (aimed shot between sidewinder/marked)is a tiny bit less aoe efficient but possibly more single target efficient."

As long as you're not capping SW or letting Vuln fall of before MS, there is no difference in AOE efficiency at all. This holds true for single target too.

"the goal is to keep up vulnerable"

Kinda. The goal is to cast everything you can under Vuln without letting SW cap and without capping focus. Realistically you won't need and can't use a full ~10 second Vuln uptime of a SW/MS cycle doing things. There will be downtime or other factors like barrage and movement.

"cast aimed shots (x2), before using your marked shot proc, which adds vulnerable again then use another two aimed shots"

4 aimed shots in a cycle isn't going to be possible normally without capping SW or having Vuln fall off except maybe under Trushot/Lust. But even if you could, it's going to even out when you start the next cycle at almost no focus. Also, 4 aimed casts in a row means no movement. 3 sounds more likely if barrage and windburst are ignored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading your pos mmkay it seems i may have been slightly wrong. From what I read the replies you got were saying barrage>aim+vulnerable. Seems there is quite a bit of opinions, some saying ignore the first vulnerable instead using that time for barrage before getting into the aim/side/mark rotation. So I guess it's back to testin 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thejazz said:

4 aimed shots in a cycle isn't going to be possible normally without capping SW or having Vuln fall off except maybe under Trushot/Lust. But even if you could, it's going to even out when you start the next cycle at almost no focus. Also, 4 aimed casts in a row means no movement. 3 sounds more likely if barrage and windburst are ignored.

I wasn't saying cast 4 on a single vulnerable, I was saying cast 2 under the first vulnerable, then use your marked to cast another two.

Edit: maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. Like I said usually by the 3rd I'm just short of focus for the 4th so I do have to wait for a Regen tic to cast the 4th maybe this is what you're referring to.

Edited by craazzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, craazzy said:

After reading your pos mmkay it seems i may have been slightly wrong. From what I read the replies you got were saying barrage>aim+vulnerable. Seems there is quite a bit of opinions, some saying ignore the first vulnerable instead using that time for barrage before getting into the aim/side/mark rotation. So I guess it's back to testin 

 

Ignoring the first Vuln is not good imo. Since you can easily throw an Aimed shot and then Barrage --- > Hence getting 1 more Aimed with Vuln more than if you skipped it. And that would make your dmg output higer? Or am I missing something.

I made a post in my thread here on the forums with some "tool-tip based + hobbyist calculations".
So in my book it would be bad to skip the first Vuln window.

Edited by mmkay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, craazzy said:

I wasn't saying cast 4 on a single vulnerable, I was saying cast 2 under the first vulnerable, then use your marked to cast another two

Yea I know, try it at a dummy. Even starting at max focus, a sw-ai-ai-ms-ai-(small delay waiting for focus)-ai costs you 230 focus and you may just barely have Vuln fall off as you finish. Even if you can fit it in with enough haste, your next "cycle" will have you start so low on focus that you will not be able to cast 4 or even 3 again, you'll probably only be able to pull off 2. So it would even out basically. Being so focus starved trying to do that also leaves you in a bad spot for using barrage on cooldown as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya I edited the post, misunderstood what you were saying.

 

So what do you suggest as a rotation instead of trying to sw>as>as>ms>as>as?

Edited by craazzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mmkay said:

Ignoring the first Vuln is not good imo. Since you can easily throw an Aimed shot and then Barrage --- > Hence getting 1 more Aimed with Vuln more than if you skipped it. And that would make your dmg output higer? Or am I missing something.
 

This makes sense, you might as well squeeze in one buffed AS prior to using your barrage. Ill try leading with this opener tonight:
WB>AS>Barrage>SW>AS>AS.

Im not entirely sure how this will work out focus wise though, currently at work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either combination of 3 aimed shots usually. Not really safe to nail down either 2-1 or 1-2 because you're going to change it depending on movement (SW-Ai-move if needed-MS-Ai-Ai). The default is to simply say SW-Ai-MS-(Ai as much as you can) which should be 2 aimed shots after ms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thejazz said:

Either combination of 3 aimed shots usually. Not really safe to nail down either 2-1 or 1-2 because you're going to change it depending on movement (SW-Ai-move if needed-MS-Ai-Ai). The default is to simply say SW-Ai-MS-(Ai as much as you can) which should be 2 aimed shots after ms.

Ok so youre saying as a general rule try to cast 3 AS in the time that you cast 1 SW and MS.

Any way you could lay out a simple rotation, from opener through the first 30 sec maybe? I realize nothing is set in stone, but just a general idea for me to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier it was said to try a WB-Ai-Barrage before your first sidewinder. That means you're sitting on capped SW for like 5 seconds and missing Marked Shot possibilities. Just follow the guide's priority for opening. It will depend on whether you have Lust or not, either 3 or 4 Market Shots are possible in the opener. You're not as worried about following the "normal" cycle in the opener because every SW is a guaranteed MS and haste is so high, so you can pop your MS right away then. As long as you finish TS with 0 charges on SW, never capped focus, and landed everything with vulnerability up, you maximized your potential damage.

The important thing is that you follow those rules throughout: do not cap SW, do not cap focus, land everything while Vuln is up. If those are met, which should be easy with the mentioned 3 Ai per cycle, there is no such thing as wasted vulnerability time or downtime or whatever.

Edited by Thejazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Thejazz said:

Earlier it was said to try a WB-Ai-Barrage before your first sidewinder. That means you're sitting on capped SW for like 5 seconds and missing Marked Shot possibilities. Just follow the guide's priority for opening. It will depend on whether you have Lust or not, either 3 or 4 Market Shots are possible in the opener. You're not as worried about following the "normal" cycle in the opener because every SW is a guaranteed MS and haste is so high, so you can pop your MS right away then. As long as you finish TS with 0 charges on SW, never capped focus, and landed everything with vulnerability up, you maximized your potential damage.

The important thing is that you follow those rules throughout: do not cap SW, do not cap focus, land everything while Vuln is up. If those are met, which should be easy with the mentioned 3 Ai per cycle, there is no such thing as wasted vulnerability time or downtime or whatever.

this is pretty convoluted to me and partially why I started this post to begin with. If I understood the guides priority clearly I wouldn't be asking these questions haha, maybe im stupid. If you could be so kind as to lay out your opening sequence with/without lust it would really help me out.

By "Normal Cycle" are you referring to the SW>AS>MS>AS>AS?

Edited by craazzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At any moment you could have to move or a lnl could proc and throw anything solid off, but it can basically be simplified to SW - MS - Ai until no focus - repeat until TS ends. If by doing that you do not cap SW, cap focus, or cast anything without Vulnerable, then you're fine.

Edited by Thejazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be retarded here, but shouldent SW > AS > AS > MS > AS be better than SW > MS > AS > AS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mmkay said:

I might be retarded here, but shouldent SW > AS > AS > MS > AS be better than SW > MS > AS > AS?

As long as you're following the rules I mentioned, it won't matter in theory because you don't lose anything (you'd still get 3 Ai after first MS). It actually will though because of Marked for Death so you'd want those Aimed Shots buffed by it.

Edited by Thejazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mmkay said:

I might be retarded here, but shouldent SW > AS > AS > MS > AS be better than SW > MS > AS > AS?

This was my original question and the reason for this thread. I started by running SW>MS>AS>AS but felt I was wasting the vuln proc from SW Basically using it only for the hunter mark proc felt like I wasn't utilizing all my tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, craazzy said:

This was my original question and the reason for this thread. I started by running SW>MS>AS>AS but felt I was wasting the vuln proc from SW Basically using it only for the hunter mark proc felt like I wasn't utilizing all my tools.

Are you still talking opener or not? Outside of the opener, SW>MS is really not a good idea unless you have windburst or barrage to use after your 2 Ai. Otherwise you're going to run into problems managing your resources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess im talking about both situations. If I understand you correct, you saying open with SW>ms>AS>as, then once youre into your normal rotation go sw>as>ms>As>as?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ks for the help bud, sorry if it got confusing,i think this is a solid starting point and might help Few people. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good discussion.

The important thing to understand is that there are hundreds of different ways to do the rotation, some of which have been discussed, and neither are generally more correct than the others, though there are very subtle differences that may make you wanna pick one over the other.

Casting Marked directly after Sidewinders is entirely valid. It gets the same amount of Aimed Shot Vulnerables as putting Aimed Shots in between, but you'll run out of stuff to do faster because you're not really milking the duration of your Vulnerable buff. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be because you'll generally be spending your focus faster than Sidewinders can recharge, meaning that you'll more often end up unable to cast the Sidewinders with a proc when you need it (when AoE or priority targets spawn especially). That's why the guide recommends to fill the "gaps" with Aimed Shots, because you're kinda taking the same rotation that you'd otherwise have and "dragging it out", making it take longer (but ultimately doing the same damage).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Browed
      I will NOT be using BoS in 7.1.5...  why?
      http://www.wowhead.com/item=132459/perseverance-of-the-ebon-martyr
      Build:
      http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/death-knight/frost/cj7z
      Basically with the combination of Gathering Storm (extended RW) and fitting more Rime into that time period I'm hoping that my M+ hybrid spec will remain competitive and the sims thus far seem to support the theory.
      If you have the helm too, grats! and look forward to the major increase in it's power with Freezing Fog +30% and Tier 19 based around more Rime and more RP from Rime we should see many viable builds popping up on logs. **Stay with FP for now until you have T19 x 2 - see updated build link ^^
      Why not BoS and Hungering? ... well, I'm looking for big Rime crits and don't fancy the long CD to manage. I also want to remain powerful in M+ which should be the case with this build... I'm pretty sure I can become more useful with Winter is Coming + extended RW... stunning mobs for the whole of PoF uptime.
      Obliteration will be used to maximise rune spam for Gathering Storm.
      Lets hear your thoughts?
    • By Oups
      <Eighty Six> is a Morning / Daytime Raiding Guild on Tanaris 
      Our Current progression is 7/7 M & 3/3 H 
      We raid: Wednesday, Thursday & Monday 8 AM till 11 AM PST
      What we are looking for:
      Heals: (High) R Druid , (Medium) MW Monk & R Shaman  Ranged DPS: (High) Mage & Lock, (Medium) S Priest & Boomkin Melee DPS: (High) Warrior, Pally & Feral, (Medium) Rogue Please add me on B-Tag for more info: Oups#1377 
       
      Good Luck 
    • By bez
      Who we are
      <Hollow> is a semi-hardcore guild created by a group of friends, experienced players, that raided HC together in WOTLK. We reunited and transfered to the same realm to create a guild, or more accurately, a home. We keep a very friendly environment in and out of raids, oftenly joining discord to chat even if we aren't doing anything. Guild activities include but are not limited to mythic dungeons, mythic + and raiding.
      Our goals
      Our current progress is 4/7M and 3/3HC. Our current goal is to down mythic EN to gear up and also prepare for Nighthold!
      What we are looking for
      Recruitment currently closed for Mythic raiding with the exception of 1 Shadow Priest.
      People that want only heroics can join regardless of specs. Socials are still welcome!
      Our raiding schedule
      Our current raiding schedule is 3 raids a week for 3 hours:

      Wednesday 8pm to 11pm server time - NH Normal
      Sunday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Mythic
      Tuesday 8pm to 11pm server time - EN Heroic / ToV Heroic
      The guild is using DKP system
      NOTE: We have added a catch up system for new recruits. When you get past the trial phase and join the ranks as a raider of our guild, you also earn 200 dkp as bonus and when you prove yourself that you are worthy of a core spot, you also get 300 dkp as bonus. We wont leave anyone behind no matter how new while at the same time, drawing a line for our core, active raiders that have been with us since the start.
      Our wowprogress page: http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/twisting-nether/Hollow
      Thank you for taking your time reading through this post. If you have any further questions or if you are interested in joining us, feel free to contact us in game on Solidz, Hotbez or add us on BNET at Solidus#2642, bez#21193.
    • By iLoveNny
      I have a lvl 104 MM hunter currently, with 7.1.5 I have heard BM is more viable. Should I A) switch my spec now for leveling B) keep MM for leveling but dump AP into BM artifact. 
      If "A" what should my basic build look like?
       
      THanks for the help!
    • By chocoslayer88
      Hey yall! so i'm writing this because i just want to undesrtand something. my friend and i compared numbers today because we are both shadow priests albeit i have a higher ilvl than he does maybe by around 7 im sitting at 863 . 
      what happend was during the last fight we decided to do the same -ish rotations meaing we both had vamp touch and shadow pain up on the same boss at all times.
      at the end of the fight i found something odd,
      his vamp touch dealt 4.99m dmg with max hit at 315 and minimum 
      mine only dealt 3.71 with max hit at 335 but take this in, minimum hit at 17k LOLLL
      another thing that got my attention
      his max hit on mind blast was 512 k, while mine was only at 281k.
      his crit and mastery stands at 20% and 40%, mine at 24% and 42%
      his haste stands at 27 and mine stands at 24
      can anyone explain this? at all? does it make any sense at all LOL