FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Pyrogenics

Fire Mage Artifact progression

I was curious how Furty/Arold came up with the progression tree for Fire Artifact traits.  Is reaching Pyretic Incantation ( increased crit damage after consecutive critical hits) that much more important than Phoenix Reborn (chance for fire damage flare up, which reduces Phoenix Flames CD..)?

I could see at higher tiers of gear getting a lot out of PI, but early on, while still initial gearing, the only time I am seeing a consistent stream of crits is during combustion.  which, in between that time, I am getting 2 or 3 full stacks of PF (I am currently using Phoenix Reborn).  Thus I can use more PF... which does fantastic damage for being instant.

Edited by Pyrogenics

Hey, PI is definitely worth focusing on. While in burst-phase you should get the 5 stacks (max. 25%) straight on and keep them at least till the end of combustion. Moreover you're getting at least 2 Stacks whenever you push an instant pyro.
The 10sec cooldown reduce from Phoenix Reborn is nice, but the AoE DMG shouldn't be the first thing you want to focus on.

Maybe someone else is having another opinion ^^

It's not about the AoE though, and maybe I am looking at it wrong.  I am looking over the course of a 5min (5mans), or 10min (norm raid), or 15min (heroic/mythic raid) encounter.  I looking at, strictly speaking.. The amount of extra PF, vs the amount of damage from PI.

Till the raid you should have both traits I think. And all the dungeons should be doable till then.

I went for the Phoenix Reborn first because the extra AoE DPS is nice for dungeon spam, however it really isn't a huge deal which of the two you grab first as long as you have both unlocked for raids.

14 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

I went for the Phoenix Reborn first because the extra AoE DPS is nice for dungeon spam, however it really isn't a huge deal which of the two you grab first as long as you have both unlocked for raids.

This is the key point here. The difference between the traits at this point in the expansion is negligible. It's not going to make or break your dungeon runs. You could do Mythic dungeons with no AP in your weapon at all, if you wanted to.

The trait choices only truly become a big deal when you're starting to min/max for raiding/Mythic+. This is where those small increases will matter. For now, pick which you prefer and make sure you have what you need for when raiding starts.