FORUMS
Damien

Discard Zoo Warlock Standard

I personally really like where this deck has been evolving from. I've been playing and tinkering with this deck for about a week now, and I came to a very similar list. I do not own the BRM expansion, so I'm missing out on Imp Gang Boss, but the deck pilots very well.

Zoo 9-12-16.png

3 hours ago, Donutkins said:

I'm missing out on Imp Gang Boss

Warlock players across the world have all just nearly passed out from shock when reading this. For real though, nice list!

You don't exactly need IGB in a Discard shell. It's a good card, mind you, but a lot of synergies that make him function brilliantly in a "classic" Zoo deck are taken down in consistency, and Silverware Golem already makes a good 3-drop. I agree that you can get away without him

• Like 1

Guest Heinlad

Hey Donutkins, 

I really like the suggestion of 2 x Tiny Knight of Evil. But what to remove from my deck then? Decisions decisions...
I think I will put in just one, instead of knife juggler, just for the fun of synergy. 
Will let you know how it went!

30 minutes ago, Guest Heinlad said:

Hey Donutkins, 

I really like the suggestion of 2 x Tiny Knight of Evil. But what to remove from my deck then? Decisions decisions...
I think I will put in just one, instead of knife juggler, just for the fun of synergy. 
Will let you know how it went!

Make sure to! It's always good for us to have tests of suggestions people post so that others can read the strengths/weaknesses. Let us know what rank etc.

Guest Wild_Thingz
On 13-9-2016 at 10:13 AM, Blainie said:

Warlock players across the world have all just nearly passed out from shock when reading this. For real though, nice list!

On 13-9-2016 at 4:16 PM, Blainie said:

Make sure to! It's always good for us to have tests of suggestions people post so that others can read the strengths/weaknesses. Let us know what rank etc.

On 13-9-2016 at 6:44 AM, Donutkins said:

I personally really like where this deck has been evolving from. I've been playing and tinkering with this deck for about a week now, and I came to a very similar list. I do not own the BRM expansion, so I'm missing out on Imp Gang Boss, but the deck pilots very well.

Zoo 9-12-16.png

just wanted to say Donutkins your build rocks... i like the addition of tiny knight and fist jaraxus... it's more aggro now though then the standard one.

On 9/22/2016 at 1:30 PM, Guest Wild_Thingz said:

just wanted to say Donutkins your build rocks... i like the addition of tiny knight and fist jaraxus... it's more aggro now though then the standard one.

Did it work well for you then? Any ideas on WRs/ranks etc.? Just to help anyone else that might be trying it!

Guest Olifantje

Just wanted to point out the fact that it lists Power Overwhelming as a synergy while it isn't in the deck. It also doesn't say it was removed in the changelog so I wonder where it came from ;)

5 hours ago, Guest Olifantje said:

Just wanted to point out the fact that it lists Power Overwhelming as a synergy while it isn't in the deck. It also doesn't say it was removed in the changelog so I wonder where it came from ;)

This is most likely due to a previous list being updated completely, but we missed that small part. Will point this out, thanks!

To cover whatever the question is, Abusive Sergeant is perfectly fine in any number, be it 2, 1 or 0. He is still playable although not as great as before. 

You can cut him relatively safe in favor of Crazed Alchemist, who provides the same pump most of the time while being incidentally good against totems and Doomsayer that rose to popularity recently. You won't regret at least a singleton.

23 hours ago, Paracel said:

To cover whatever the question is, Abusive Sergeant is perfectly fine in any number, be it 2, 1 or 0. He is still playable although not as great as before. 

You can cut him relatively safe in favor of Crazed Alchemist, who provides the same pump most of the time while being incidentally good against totems and Doomsayer that rose to popularity recently. You won't regret at least a singleton.

Thank you!!

Guest edible

Im missing out on imp gang boss, wondering what i could sub in for it, tried imp master. Didn't like it. Any ideas. 

PS. i dont have a lot of the expansion cards. I have all of karazan and first wing of league of explorers

2 hours ago, Guest edible said:

Im missing out on imp gang boss, wondering what i could sub in for it, tried imp master. Didn't like it. Any ideas. 

PS. i dont have a lot of the expansion cards. I have all of karazan and first wing of league of explorers

The most common replacement for Imp Gang Boss is Harvest Golem. If it doesn't work for you, let me know.

On 11/8/2016 at 3:52 AM, Guest edible said:

As positiv suggests, IGB is known for being a "sticky" minion. To fill that role, you need a decent deathrattle that can survive through a single larger attack, thereby allowing some presence to remain on board. Imp Master doesn't really fill that role, hence why you perhaps didn't like it. Golem is a good suggestion, when playing this deck I also found Argent Horserider to work fairly well.

• Like 1

Guest Klazik

So I tried this deck for a couple of days. First I had an amazing win streak, then an abysmal losing streak and I had to close the game because of sheer anger, confusement, and I generally felt like dusting everything I own and just say screw it.

How can a deck be THAT waving in effectiveness? I die to mages, warriors, druids. Wth?

Went from almost rank 10 all the way down to rank 15.

Can somebody please tell me if they are experiencing the same thing with the deck or is it just me having INCREDIBLE bad luck?

Edited by positiv2
Please, refrain from using vulgar language, thanks :)

14 hours ago, Guest Klazik said:

So I tried this deck for a couple of days. First I had an amazing win streak, then an abysmal losing streak and I had to close the game because of sheer anger, confusement, and I generally felt like dusting everything I own and just say screw it.

How can a deck be THAT waving in effectiveness? I die to mages, warriors, druids. Wth?

Went from almost rank 10 all the way down to rank 15.

Can somebody please tell me if they are experiencing the same thing with the deck or is it just me having INCREDIBLE bad luck?

This happens to me as well. Only possible explanation I could think of could be something like, maybe higher ranks exploit your mistakes more. I mean, assume you make a suboptimal play at some point every game, at lower ranks your opponent may not be able to take advantage of it, but in higher ranks, they do. 

What I would suggest is to start playing it again, and as you get used to it even more, and making less mistakes, you should reach higher ranks.

Overcoming frustration from losses is an important step on your journey to becoming a better player, a responsible adult and a virtuous person (not necessary in that order).

Discard Zoo features additional random, that can be frustrating. For a person who doesn't give a damn anymore who manages to defeat this feeling, it is just exhausting in the long run. Deck is capable of rolling high and getting winstreaks as well as maintaining a 50% winrate over 100 games, no matter how hard you try. Just relax, 5 ranks don't mean a lot in the winstreak bracket.

Druids, Rogues and Mages are your literal food. These are the matchups you should be most familiar with, and after some practice, they should feel like playing against The Innkeeper. Just make sure you always play around their best card.

Shaman and Warrior are hard, but manageable. Be mentally ready to lose at the moment you get queued into them, but play to your outs regardless.

Ultimately, your success will always depend on how much Shaman you face during play sessions. Common sense dictates the answer is "every single game" but the reality of Hearthstone is that a lot of people don't play to win, so numbers are slightly different.

Guest Klazik
13 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

This happens to me as well. Only possible explanation I could think of could be something like, maybe higher ranks exploit your mistakes more. I mean, assume you make a suboptimal play at some point every game, at lower ranks your opponent may not be able to take advantage of it, but in higher ranks, they do. 

What I would suggest is to start playing it again, and as you get used to it even more, and making less mistakes, you should reach higher ranks.

I see your point. And maybe I make more mistakes when I'm frustrated.

I will keep trying and try to improve.

8 hours ago, Paracel said:

Overcoming frustration from losses is an important step on your journey to becoming a better player, a responsible adult and a virtuous person (not necessary in that order).

Discard Zoo features additional random, that can be frustrating. For a person who doesn't give a damn anymore who manages to defeat this feeling, it is just exhausting in the long run. Deck is capable of rolling high and getting winstreaks as well as maintaining a 50% winrate over 100 games, no matter how hard you try. Just relax, 5 ranks don't mean a lot in the winstreak bracket.

Druids, Rogues and Mages are your literal food. These are the matchups you should be most familiar with, and after some practice, they should feel like playing against The Innkeeper. Just make sure you always play around their best card.

Shaman and Warrior are hard, but manageable. Be mentally ready to lose at the moment you get queued into them, but play to your outs regardless.

Ultimately, your success will always depend on how much Shaman you face during play sessions. Common sense dictates the answer is "every single game" but the reality of Hearthstone is that a lot of people don't play to win, so numbers are slightly different.

Well, I am a responsible adult, and usually I don't have anger issues. But last night just triggered be beyond recognition.

It baffled me I kept losing to Tempo and Freeze mages, since I know I should crush them.

Rank 19 atm. Still going down real fast. Haven't won a single one for 3-4 hours of game time..

5 hours ago, Guest Klazik said:

I see your point. And maybe I make more mistakes when I'm frustrated.

I will keep trying and try to improve.

Well, I am a responsible adult, and usually I don't have anger issues. But last night just triggered be beyond recognition.

It baffled me I kept losing to Tempo and Freeze mages, since I know I should crush them.

Rank 19 atm. Still going down real fast. Haven't won a single one for 3-4 hours of game time..

Just a little note. You don't crush either Tempo mage or Freeze mage with zoo. You win against tempo mages based on their build (if for example they play the minion based tempo mage, with Flamestrike and Arcane Explosion, you are going to have a bad time).

As for Freeze mage, the matchup is 80-20 for them. You cannot pressure them enough in the early game, and a Frost Nova + Doomsayer combo is almost a guarranteed board clear. 

I will give you my current stats from ladder. I was bored of standard (rank 9 there) and decided to play wild the last 2 weeks. Currently rank 7 on wild, playing only Freeze Mage and Zoo.

Freeze Mage Stats : http://i.imgur.com/DFYOfbE.png

Zoo Stats : http://i.imgur.com/Fl7rtRX.png

The sample is not that great, since i had huge winstreaks till rank 7, but as you can see against Freeze Mage as zoo i am 0-2 and as Freeze Mage against zoo, i am 5-1 (the other warlocks were zoo decks as well, i do not know what trackobot is drinking).

9 hours ago, Guest Klazik said:

Take a deep breath. Then remember two things:

- You play an aggro deck. Aggro decks are dependent on a getting a very powerful start; i.e. a decent starting hand and draw in the first turns. Without that, you're dead.

- You play an even more RNG-tastic version of an aggro deck, because not only do you need the right cards in hand, you also need to discard the right one(s) at random. Yes, Doomguard discarding 2 Silverware Golems and letting you draw 2 cards with an Imp out makes opponents ragequit. But that only happen once in a blue moon.

If at one point you are really too fed up with RNG not going your way, switch to a regular Zoo deck.

Guest Klazik

Okay. So can somebody point me in a direction of a deck that doesn't require luck? Tired of having worse luck compared to my opponents... Or is this game just purely RNG no matter the deck? I know that you sometimes get bad draws. That's a part of it. But I just want a consistent deck. I get max 1 hour of game time since I work full time, so I really want to come home to have a good time, just winning here and there. Don't want to spent several days getting facerolled just because I have bad luck.

There is always going to be some quantity of RNG no matter what deck you play. Even the best decks sometimes run into problems where it feels like you just cant get a good starting hand or cant draw a decent card. 

I've found that slower decks tend to have the least RNG problems. They're made to play for a longer game, and over the course of it things tend to even out. My current favorites are dragon priest, dragon warrior, and tempo mage.