FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Maruken

How smooth is the WW Monk rotation?

So, back when I was on the beta deciding which class I wanted to play, I played Windwalker and tried performing their rotation on a target dummy. I decided that the rotation was just too clunky and I didn't play Monk.

However, now that my Warrior is sitting pretty in terms of gear and has a stream of Artifact Knowledge work orders, I wanted to give Monk another shot because I might not have been playing Monk correctly. But before I do, I want to ask a reliable source on how smooth the rotation is. By "smooth" I mean a playstyle that has a minimal amount of downtime, for example Fury has a fun rotation in my opinion because I always have a button to press, and I like the Focused Rage Arms build because of the fast paced rotation during Battle Cry, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

If you get used to the order you're supposed to press buttons in, it becomes one of the most fluid specs in the game.

I'll caution you that it has 7 skills that are core to the rotation (5 of which have cooldowns to manage), with the option of adding 2 more (1 for AoE, and 1 to maintain Hit Combo more easily). Because of this, some people find it difficult, and don't give themselves the time to master it that I think it deserves.

It sounds difficult to get used to, but if you play around Hit Combo correctly and don't mash the same skill twice in a row, it has a very fun rotation that flows easily from one skill to the next without being rushed by procs. I think it's one of the most fun specs in the game

8 minutes ago, Carrn said:

If you get used to the order you're supposed to press buttons in, it becomes one of the most fluid specs in the game.

This is what I wanted to hear. This gave me the push I needed to level my Monk, thanks.

I decided to main monk at the start of legion and its the best decision ive made in a while. HUGE AoE damage and considerably good single target damage. The rotation is super smooth and flowing, especially once you figure out how to use BoK inbtwn all of your cd abilities. Follow this rotation on boss fights, I havent had anyone beat my damage yet. TP-ToD(macro any racials/trinkets with it as they are off the GCD)-TP-S,E,F(within the GCD)-FoF-TP-SoW-RSK-TP-BoK-WDP-BoK .. by this time RSK should be off CD and FoF coming soon. Just weave your BoK inbtwn other abilities like Chi Wave and TP. I cant get enough of this class. Another tip is that FSK keeps your hit combo going.. if you have a fast tank it helps to keep up those 8 stacks. I try and use it btwn fights to keep that 16% dmg buff going.

1 hour ago, Maruken said:

However, now that my Warrior is sitting pretty in terms of gear and has a stream of Artifact Knowledge work orders, I wanted to give Monk another shot because I might not have been playing Monk correctly. But before I do, I want to ask a reliable source on how smooth the rotation is. By "smooth" I mean a playstyle that has a minimal amount of downtime, for example Fury has a fun rotation in my opinion because I always have a button to press, and I like the Focused Rage Arms build because of the fast paced rotation during Battle Cry, etc.

Started as Guardian Druid in Legion, hit 110 and levelled my monk straight after.

I absolutely love WW. It feels fantastic, regardless of your playstyle. The animations on some other classes almost feel clunky, but monk, even visually, flows together perfectly. 

If you liked Arms/Fury, you will LOVE WW.