FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Alben

Dungeons as MM

Hello fellow Hunters,

i'm new to hunting as i've parked my lock for Legion and i've just completed my first round of Heroic dungeons as MM.

I'm quite prepared on the "theory" of the class , so please do not tell me to switch to BM because if i wanted to play a pet-o-centric class

i could have kept my lock and play demo instead.

The main issue i'm having in H dungeons is Barrage, as it pulls the whole instance due to the huge range and cone of its effect, so i'm thinking about

trying a MoC+PS set-up instead of the "standard" Barrage/SW build for dungeons only.

I am also taking into account recent Azor's change from SW to PS for MM dungeon build, but my main point is pairing PS with M.o.C. instead of Barrage, to try avoiding the random aggroing of mobs that Barrage may cause.

Do you believe such a build should be viable dpswise? 

Thank you for any feedback and happy hunting ;)

I don't think the issue here is whether or not it'd be viable DPS wise. If you check the Sims, barrage and MoC are very close single target DPS. The issue is multi-target as there are tons of mobs being grouped in the new dungeons. I agree that with Barrage and even Sidewinders it can be difficult not pulling additional aggro, but if you're going to be using PS you need to worry about placement. Maximizing DPS  via PS would be difficult if mobs were spread and the movement required (sure you could disengage into position if you're good at it) would further drop your DPS . Barrage is similar in that (not placement) but facing is extremely important. Barrage is a conal attack, roughly 90 degrees from your facing (you face to the 45th degree). by adjusting your facing you can target left or right at 45-degree angles thus focusing your Barrage spread into a tight cone. This is assuming there are no mobs to your left or right. Barrage also has a max range as far as your auto shot. By maintaining max distance you also reduce the chance of accidentally aggroing mobs. You will likely find that you'll suffer a significant DPS loss by switching to a MoC+PS build throughout the run, with that number picking up during single target boss fights. 

My advice would be to practice facing while maintaining SW+Barrage, and just be sure to MD the tank in case you get accidental pulls. Honestly, the DPS output on groups is extremely high. Haven't hit 110 yet but I'm easily pulling 200k+ on groups and that was around 104. If it's still an issue then switch it up, no sense in getting booted from a group for something you can't control 100% of the time. 

Hope this helps,

Brew

Barrage is a wild shot as Blizzard has said in a recent post. U can sometimes  just stand at max range and be fine with barrage   but sometimes shots go thru walls...Im trying out volley  now that they upped the damage  seems fine   but a little short of barrage total damage.  Volley can also be switched on and off  depending on situations.

Hey,

my Problem with barrage was the same... Just go max range and if u run the Dungeons often enough, you know where the Trash is. :)

Funny fact: In our Mythic group, there was an owl with a trinket that just pulled trash mobs... but always blame the hunter, i was going to rage cause, wasnt me!! xD

Well, blizz fixed it and everything was fine.

As MM when u pull 2-3 Trash packs, just misdirect the tank and go full enrage. You just kill them with your 1,5 mio DPS when u got good proccs. 

I think this will be a problem in Myth +5 and higher.

Yes, Barrage is the bane of raid and dungeon parties ever since it was released. You should position yourself in a way that will minimize the chances of pulling additional mobs, unless your party can handle it. If there's even a shadow of a doubt that you will pull - just don't cast Barrage.

With a little exp on M dungeons now i'm starting to get a grip on Barrage use as i'm learning to start barraging from max range or also, when unsure, basically running towards the pack of trash while casting on the move SW and MS and positoning in a way so that Barrage is cast facing the opposite direction where i was coming from. Maybe i lose some dps while doing so, but my teammates are usually thankful for me doing so.

Thanks for the feedbacks anyway and, as usual, happy hunting!

15 minutes ago, Alben said:

With a little exp on M dungeons now i'm starting to get a grip on Barrage use as i'm learning to start barraging from max range or also, when unsure, basically running towards the pack of trash while casting on the move SW and MS and positoning in a way so that Barrage is cast facing the opposite direction where i was coming from. Maybe i lose some dps while doing so, but my teammates are usually thankful for me doing so.

Thanks for the feedbacks anyway and, as usual, happy hunting!

Yes, that's what you're supposed to do, great job. 

You just have to remember that DPS is secondary to actually completing the encounter, and not dying due to being overwhelmed with hordes of pulled mobs contributes to that ;)

Hi guys !

As I'm no Hunter expert I have a question for you.

In my Mythic group we have a hunter with a "low" dps if I can say it that way.

It's not that low it's just that it is way above our monk and rogue.

However our Hunter has been playing for several years and used to have a very decent dps, he seems to know his rotation pretty well, etc...

Is there anything that can explain that lack of dps ? Duration of the fights ? The gear ? Artifact level ? Or so on ...

Thanks in advance !

51 minutes ago, Neriliel said:

Hi guys !

As I'm no Hunter expert I have a question for you.

In my Mythic group we have a hunter with a "low" dps if I can say it that way.

It's not that low it's just that it is way above our monk and rogue.

However our Hunter has been playing for several years and used to have a very decent dps, he seems to know his rotation pretty well, etc...

Is there anything that can explain that lack of dps ? Duration of the fights ? The gear ? Artifact level ? Or so on ...

Thanks in advance !

You're not even asking us to read a mind, you're asking us to read a mind by proxy.

Without logs or at least a statement from that hunter himself more detailed than "DPS IS LOW HALP" , we can't help at all.

Hehe  sorry, I started it the wrong way ^^

I'm writing on our hunter behalf because he is not at ease with english...

I should have started by asking what would you need to try to investigate the problem ?

Thanks,

Edited by Neriliel

@Neriliel,

as long as you are defeating bosses in m dungeons in these days i believe you could wait until next week when EN raid will be open.

At that point a lot of "real" data will income for anybody through logs and it will much easier to judge how a player is performing in comparison to classmates and other deeps as well.

Issues like "not playing correctly" will be easy to verify for players to improve their rotation/playstyle and such.

Issues like " i do poor dps even if i'm the best player ever" deriving from poor balancing should (eventually) hotfixed by Blizzard.