FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Fire Mage PvP 7.1

Guest Funk

So I have been pvp'ing a bit on my mage and have you noticed some type of issue with Pyroblast? My fireballs were on average h itting harder than my Pyros in BGs. What gives?

11 hours ago, Guest Funk said:

So I have been pvp'ing a bit on my mage and have you noticed some type of issue with Pyroblast? My fireballs were on average h itting harder than my Pyros in BGs. What gives?

That does seem odd. Run a damage meter in your battleground and look at the Damage Done after it's finished. You can see which spell hit hardest on average by dividing the total by the number casted.

Guest Funk

That's exactly what I did and why I commented on it. It was hitting on average for 50k less.

2 minutes ago, Guest Funk said:

That's exactly what I did and why I commented on it. It was hitting on average for 50k less.

Does the same thing happen on a training dummy?

On 9/9/2016 at 6:21 PM, Guest Funk said:

Hi Guest Funk! Recently, a few of Fire Mage spells have gotten a damage nerf. If you are talented into Greater Pyroblast, they reduced the damage from 35% to 25%. They also reduced the damage of Fireball. Fireball now does 75% additional damage (was 150% damage)

18 hours ago, Mysticall said:

Hi Guest Funk! Recently, a few of Fire Mage spells have gotten a damage nerf. If you are talented into Greater Pyroblast, they reduced the damage from 35% to 25%. They also reduced the damage of Fireball. Fireball now does 75% additional damage (was 150% damage)

Hopefully this should explain why he was having issues. Thanks for pointing this out Mys!

Nice to see that we are finally getting PvP Guides!

Could you include the PvP Stat template for Fire Mage when they are in a PvP instance?

Could you please check if the Burst Rotation is correct? There is only 2 Pyroblasts mentioned in it and some Fire Blasts are wasted on Hot Streaks.

1 hour ago, Archimage said:

Could you include the PvP Stat template for Fire Mage when they are in a PvP instance?

Could you please check if the Burst Rotation is correct? There is only 2 Pyroblasts mentioned in it and some Fire Blasts are wasted on Hot Streaks.

Definitely something we can look into putting up. We'll go over the burst and make sure everything is in order.

3 hours ago, Archimage said:

Nice to see that we are finally getting PvP Guides!

My apologies for this and I will correct it. The stat priority is:

Critical Strike>Int>Versatility>Haste>Mastery

22 minutes ago, Mysticall said:

From what I heard, when you enter a PvP instance, all your stats are replaced with a ilvl 800 template, and then it scales up by 0.1% for every ilvl you had above ilvl 800. Would like to know what this template is.

30 minutes ago, Mysticall said:

Was about to say, it sounds like Archi wants to know what stats are placed on each piece of gear in the PvP template. (Secondaries on Shoulders, for example, as a Fire Mage)

9 hours ago, Archimage said:

From what I heard, when you enter a PvP instance, all your stats are replaced with a ilvl 800 template, and then it scales up by 0.1% for every ilvl you had above ilvl 800. Would like to know what this template is.

I do! So the template focuses on your primary stat and your most beneficial secondary stat. For fire mages, this will mean it will effect intellect (your primary stat) and critical strike (secondary stat). For each ilevel increase, these 2 stats will increase

Great to see that the Burst Rotation has been updated!

There is a few points I want to touch on:
To get your first Hot Streak!  proc you can also use one Phoenix Flames and one Fire Blast, only recommended when you have 3 charges of Phoenix Flames.
Combustion will cause your Fireball and Hot Streak Pyroblast to both critical strike, so there is no need to use Fire Blast yet.

You can get about 7 Global Cooldowns into your Combustion:
0: Fireball + Pyroblast
1: Pyroblast + Fire Blast
2. Pyroblast + Heating Up + Fire Blast
3. Pyroblast + Fire Blast
4. Phoenix Flames (or Scorch if you are out of Phoenix Flames charges)
5. Pyroblast
6. Phoenix Flames (or Scorch if you are out of Phoenix Flames charges)
7. Pyroblast

Tier 1 PvP Talent Relentless is also a viable option when playing as Orc since it stacks with Hardiness.

There is also the Fire Mage Flamestrike Build for Battlegrounds or AoE Cleave.
It revolves around using World in FlamesWorld in Flames and Flame PatchFlame Patch and just spamming Flamestrike :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Archimage said:

There is a few points I want to touch on:

Thanks for those suggestions Archi, keep 'em coming! Nothing is more valuable to us than properly structured feedback, so this is great :)

On 14.9.2016 at 3:38 PM, Blainie said:

Hopefully this should explain why he was having issues. Thanks for pointing this out Mys!

Is it true, that the Artifact-Talents aren't active in PvP? Because there are some, which increase the damage of Pyroblast. This could be the reason for the low damage.

Edited by lupch

On 11/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, lupch said:

Is it true, that the Artifact-Talents aren't active in PvP? Because there are some, which increase the damage of Pyroblast. This could be the reason for the low damage.

Definitely another possibility!

Link to my char. 

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/stormscale/belar

So, I've played mage, (my char is Belar on Stormscale), for some time now. I always experience to come out shorthanded on every person versus person encounter in a Battleground. I feel like I'm being "ignored", since I don't pose a threat for the opponent. It's like, when I hit them, it's a tab on their shoulder, so why bother going for me.

I see the great value on Firemage, when it's crowd control and a lot on people are, say gathered around a flag in Arathi Basin. There I can do some serious AoE Damage, if and when I got a great healer in the team.

So I was wondering if any advises can be given to me and my mage stats? Am I speccting wrong or is Firemages just "weak" when it comes to 1 on 1 encounter inside a Battleground?

Do I still need to specc Mastery, when it comes to PvP? Or is it, as stated for Firemages on icy-veins.com, to use the statpriority from there?

Edited by Zent

7 hours ago, Zent said:

So I was wondering if any advises can be given to me and my mage stats? Am I speccting wrong or is Firemages just "weak" when it comes to 1 on 1 encounter inside a Battleground?

Do I still need to specc Mastery, when it comes to PvP? Or is it, as stated for Firemages on icy-veins.com, to use the statpriority from there?

First, replace KindlingKindling with MeteorMeteor because if you do not kill an opponent within your combustion you will not have another combustion. Bad choice and meteor is a really good burst, either you blink in dragonbreat or frost nova and cast it on top or you cast it on top of yourself if you are getting owned. (Good tip, cast meteor before blinking in and then nova/dragonbreat... else they know what coming) 

You do have way to low crit, the more crit you have the more combustion, the more damage and the more 1v1 you can win.

If your main certain is 1v1, don't bother going for mastery... The only thing mastery do for you is making your IgniteIgnite stronger or overtime damage stronger. So don't bother, focus more on haste and crit! Mastery is only good when you are going to spread fire on everyone which is hard and would NEVER kill them(due to dispells and the low actually damage)

Tho I cannot see you PvP talents which also make a big deal of your play style and what you can do with your chosen talents.      

- Hope it helps, else reply here (tag me tho) or contact me via PM.
- Let's burn this world down and build anew from the ashes. 

- Merry Christmas. 

Edited by Dabria

On 12/12/2017 at 1:25 PM, Zent said:

So I was wondering if any advises can be given to me and my mage stats? 

Firstly, advice on gear in PvP is pointless. PvP stats are standardised with a template, meaning gear adds absolutely nothing outside of pure item level. Looking for certain stats give you no advantage whatsoever in instanced PvP. Find whatever gear gives you the highest item level and use it, regardless of the stats on it.

Fire Mage is by far the worst damage dealer out of the casters. There is no real instance where a Fire Mage will outdps another caster, but it's not what they are played for, at all. CC is the only reason to play with a Fire Mage. With Dragon's Breath, Frost Nova, a spammable Polymorph, Ring of Frost, you can CC perfectly.

In Battlegrounds, you aren't really going to be topping kills. Use spread damage to help your allies, CC the healers and make sure to land a good RoF. You are amazing at peeling for your healers too, especially when they are jumped on by multiple melee enemies. Stay with a group, don't go alone.

In 1v1s, you'll lose, A LOT. Avoid them at all costs.

For damage output, learn to chain your Fire Blast and Phoenix for maximum Pyro output in a short burst. 

In 3s, you're the CC monkey. Play with a strong 2nd DPS like Feral in FMP (Feral Mage Priest/Paladin). Line up your CC with the feral burst, your normal chain is DB/Poly into RoF - use the other CC for when they trinket. 

Guest memerono

ice floes isnt a talent anymore so the level 75 pick is wrong now

On 07/04/2018 at 3:52 AM, Guest memerono said:

ice floes isnt a talent anymore so the level 75 pick is wrong now

Should be updated shortly, thanks!

Guest helghast

just curious if the ice floes part is going to be updated soon? wondering if there is a good alternate to frost ring still, thanks for your time :)

On 30.4.2018 at 5:49 PM, Guest helghast said:

just curious if the ice floes part is going to be updated soon? wondering if there is a good alternate to frost ring still, thanks for your time :)

There's a note pending for IF to be updated soon, so it should be! Sorry for the delay!

Guest YoungMage

Could you please update comment section for bfa ?

Sign in to follow this