FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Maruken

Frost DK - Does it do anything well?

On 9/14/2016 at 8:50 PM, Zefyrk said:

Already did Darkheart in heroic, gonna do some mythics now to show you guys. The link above!, btw we used lust on a few bosses and none flask from me.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vJ47bG8y2nYRNjK6#type=damage-done&fight=5

That log is amazing.

Are you using the UH weapon enchant instead of the frost enchant? Does that make a big difference. Seems like the single target DPS is coming from Frost Strike now hunh.

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Zefyrk said:

Dude i made an account just to answer and help you:
Look i've been playing frost (btw im currently 851 and loving it), so far no one except a friend who's a monk ww dps has beaten me in dps (both aoe and single target). I've seen unholy death knights in at least every single dungeon so far and none of them has beaten me in dps. If u dont believe me just add me (Zefyrk - Ragnaros) and i will provide you with more info and some skada recounts of me toping and beating the sht out of ppl in terms of dps.

Frost dk's for now and from what i have seen in ACTUAL gameplaying is one of the strongest specs to play. I also saw some charts in simulationcraft saying that frost is like at the bottem with something like 210k dps if u get the full raid gear (from nightmare), but dude my current dps in single target is like 230k.... 

Just trust me go with frost, read a lot and try different talents cause the spec is really strong, fun to play (no downtimes) and the lore is just amazing (that artifact quest ommgggg).

PD: for talents im going with: icy talons, frozen pulse, avalanche, white walker, the antimagic upgrade one lol, runic attenuation and glacial advance. My stats are like 31% crit, 20% haste and like 18% mastery (i may have waayyy too much haste, but im working on it :D)

Keep playing the things that you like and love, if u put enough effort into it u will surprise yourself.

Hey ive been seeing different things about whether to focus on mastery or crit and haste like it looks like you. Im guessing you would say as a frost dk using the talents you listed i should focus on crit and haste?

11 hours ago, Jlogan916 said:

Hey ive been seeing different things about whether to focus on mastery or crit and haste like it looks like you. Im guessing you would say as a frost dk using the talents you listed i should focus on crit and haste?

1. Strength;
  2. Critical Strike > Haste (to a ratio of 1.3 Critical Strike to 1 Haste);
  3. Mastery;
  4. Versatility.

Even though certain abilities to scale with mastery there are diminishing returns and with a machinegun variant rotation we still want our crits to be hard and to have a good resource flow. So, the Icy guide priority is still the recommended one. 

Interesting to view the top logs from the first day of raids.

For Nythendra (heroic), the top for each dps spec

Unholy: top 50 players over 250k - 290k

Frost: top 50 players over 165k - 214k

For reference the top 50 dps over all classes was 303k - 377k

Lets see what, if any, tuning gets done.

Basically, Frost needs roughly 35% dps boost on figures alone just to bring it in line with Unholy.

Before anyone says 'but all the best DK players would have gone Unholy'.. to some extent I agree, however, by choosing heroic stats I think the Frost players will be the upper end of the playerbase anyway, so it's a moot point.

Edited by Browed

Srry havent checked icy-veins in a couple of days..

On 16/9/2016 at 7:11 AM, demonardvark said:

One favor to ask of you, would you mind posting your current artifact build? Like screenshot the page. Just so we can further see how you are allotting points and that. Or if you would mind just detailing the order you did them. That would really help out people as well. The passives in the artifact influence quite a bit :)

Ermm for the artifact im just following the guide that's in this page haha, i went straight for sindragossa then for the hypothermia passive and right now im trying to get the howling blast dmg increase.

And about dps and rankings as to reply to Deneglio:

On 16/9/2016 at 1:47 PM, Deneglio said:

To answer to you , even if someone say you frost DK have a good DPS.

IT S NOT TRUE.

i'm ok it's sad for all DK frost but they are really the worst dps actually in this game . You can get 210k with 840 and not 851 ilvl like Zefryk said, and OMG 230k in single with 851 ilvl it's just the worst dps i seen with that gear. Even with my shaman elem ( almost the worst dps) i can do 250+ with 846ilvl.

I think u may be right about frost not being good since i have noticed that i hit like a "cap" to my dmg right now i hope blizz really buff us a little bit and as i said before im not a good player and i also like to play frost so i put a lot of effort into it. Of course if u want to go competitive and u can actually perform de unholy rotation perfectly (considering bosses mechanics), just go for it.

Im gonna leave a few logs on raid that we made with my guildies... only on normal tough, we couldnt do heroic this week =(

Logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7MH8pRfd9ZnvLzgT/

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QagxrZMA9pX78JRD/

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wx8Fmg3fDKYkXnHZ/

I will try to put a post on the forum in icy-veins about frost for those players that like the spec and are more casual players like me.

Best of lucks to you all :)

I have long been a DW Frost DK at heart; love the lore, the aesthetic, dual wielding, all of it; but have been playing Unholy for raiding with my guild because it has just been materially stronger since Draenor. I am up to artifact lvl 19 on my Unholy artifact but i just don't seem to be doing it right and i am really tempted to start getting serious about Frost. I have noticed in Dungeons, especially Mythic, that Frost does really well for me on large trash packs. I also find it safer as i am not yelling, "TIMMAY NOOOOO!" or "SKELTARD NOOOOO!" because they are running off to bring me a mob that was nowhere near us and i wasn't even looking at...<sigh>...

Is there a point where I would be ok to start dumping AP into my frost artifact? My unholy artifact is up to where i need like 24k or more til next trait; I am 2 away from the shambler talent. (I chose a few talents on the top of the weap before I found the correct progression so i am a few behind i suppose.) Artifact research is at 4. I have considered dumping everything lower than 500 AP gain into my frost artifact but wondered if it would be stupid of me to divert that at this point. 

Here is hoping frost gets some love at some point; I would go back in a heartbeat. 

Slayerella-Hyjal

2 hours ago, Slayerella said:

I also find it safer as i am not yelling, "TIMMAY NOOOOO!" or "SKELTARD NOOOOO!" because they are running off to bring me a mob that was nowhere near us and i wasn't even looking at...<sigh>...

HAHAHAHAHA thats actually pretty common to see, i remember trying unholy in draenor as well and the same happened to me. The thing is (some main unholy might correct me) that learning to control your pet is really important like cancelling its attacks to swap targets, etc.

Frost is kinda easy to master and to comprehend as well, so doing mechanics and not losing dps is a little bit easier to do. At least get your frost artifact to lvl 13 or until you get the sindragossa skill. Just try it by hitting dummies in acherus and comparing it to unholy as well. If ur raid group is like a hardcore one u will have to master unholy since its better at the moment, otherwise go for frost as it will allow you to have better control of your character.

It all depends on your choice and what kind of player do u want to be. 

PS: nothing beats hitting the sindragossa skill and to watch a HUGEE FCKIN UNDEAD DRAGON freezing everything on its path XD

OHHHH PRAISE DA LAWRDDD MY FROST FRIENDSSS !!!

Death Knight

• Frost
    • Remorseless Winter damage increased by 50%.
    • Obliterate damage increased by 19%.
    • Frost Strike damage increased by 12%.
    • Howling Blast damage increased by 10%.
    • Frostscythe (Talent) damage increased by 13%.
    • Frozen Pulse (Talent) damage increased by 11%.
    • Breath of Sindragosa (Talent) damage increased by 17%.
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but hoping someone here knows. If I want to switch to frost how far behind will I be from an artifact power stand point. Thinking that even though frost may be good, it will still not be comparable because i have so much AP in unholy. 

4 hours ago, mgibbonsjr said:

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but hoping someone here knows. If I want to switch to frost how far behind will I be from an artifact power stand point. Thinking that even though frost may be good, it will still not be comparable because i have so much AP in unholy. 

in your order hall you can invest (and should  be) in artifact knowledge which increases the overall amount of ap you are generating, this is the basic catch up mechanic that will allow you to upgrade each weapon as you see fit. so, straight switching to frost you will be lacking all the passive and active traits you gained via unholy so you will be a bit behind. however, you can farm various ap items as unholy and dump them into frost artifact. 

On 9/16/2016 at 6:47 PM, Deneglio said:

i'm ok it's sad for all DK frost but they are really the worst dps actually in this game .

I mean, yeah Unholy is better, but Frost does seem to have found a few bits to help it. There's currently two Frost DKs in the top 50 DKs for Dragons of Nightmare heroic. It's only 4% of the top 50, but it proves it can be done.

Played around whit frost on our weekly friday normal drunk raids!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mPzXWqrpdCL9MDTG

Got ranked oki tbh. But no flask no food and rusty as hell on my frost though.

Prob could have done loads of things better. Was terrible at keeping my FF up thats for sure.

Was right behind the UH whit legendery bracers.

After that run im woundering if just should go frost and have fun, but not sure how well the frost spec will do l8er in the exp...

On 10/8/2016 at 5:06 AM, Agonco said:

Played around whit frost on our weekly friday normal drunk raids!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mPzXWqrpdCL9MDTG

Got ranked oki tbh. But no flask no food and rusty as hell on my frost though.

Prob could have done loads of things better. Was terrible at keeping my FF up thats for sure.

Was right behind the UH whit legendery bracers.

After that run im woundering if just should go frost and have fun, but not sure how well the frost spec will do l8er in the exp...

Unholy is actually falling behind in progression and will continue to due to some scaling issues. long term, im talking long term, after nighthold I think we'll find frost pulling ahead. just because frost scales quite well and for certain playstyles demands much higher stat amounts where unholy will hit diminishing return walls

but honestly if not doing mythic raiding, it doesn't matter, play what you have fun with. 

• Like 1

guys, got my second legendary a few minutes ago and it's the seal of necrofantasia. is playing with breath of sindragosa now viable and what's changing this for me? I'm (of course) playing the machine gun build atm and can't imagine the changes to the whole rotation
or will it stay the same except for the breath phases?

and why the hell looks this post so weird? :/
Edited by Pestilencos

15 hours ago, Pestilencos said:
guys, got my second legendary a few minutes ago and it's the seal of necrofantasia. is playing with breath of sindragosa now viable and what's changing this for me? I'm (of course) playing the machine gun build atm and can't imagine the changes to the whole rotation
or will it stay the same except for the breath phases?

and why the hell looks this post so weird? :/

dunno what happened with your post

BOS is just completely undertuned right now and is really garbage overall. The issue with running it is you don't get your icy talons stacks which hurts frozen pulse, i.e. kills the whole reason the machinegun rotation works. so, its a good ilvl booster, and honestly can still be used intelligently in current machine build, but no, dont touch bos.

Just wanted to pop in and say that i went back Frost and am happy with the output. In some raid encounters i switch back to Unholy but for mythic and general quests Frost is definitely in a good place. In mythic+ it is actually outperforming unholy bc of sheer aoe power. My frost weapon is now at 21 traits (2 of the elite abilities!) And unholy at 20. 

Now if only we could find the Frost DK hidden artifact...sigh.

So, I'm not sure if people still follow this thread or not, but I've been away from the Icy Veins forums for a loooong time and I wanted to pop round and put in my 2 cents about my new main, a Frost DK.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HVhZmA3cDQXdBKPy#fight=1

TL;DR log standings: 8/19 Nythandra, 1/19 Elerythe, 5/19 Ursoc, 2/18 Dragons, 1/18 Il'gynoth, 2/18 Cenarius, 3/18 Xavius

Start off with those logs. That Nyth fight was just... I dunno what happened there, lol. 3 rots sucks, but it shouldn't hurt the deeps that much. As you can see, I'm pretty much top 5 every fight, and on a lot of fights (if not most) I'm first or second. Now, it is possible that every single person in my raids is a shit player, or has terrible ilvl, or blah blah blah. It could also be that most fights, aside from Nyth and Ursoc at some point have at least 2 targets (which works well for Frostscythe), I however think that it's far more likely that frost is in a much better place than a SIM would have you believe. My gear isn't remotely close to optimized either, I mean I do have 857 iLvl but the ilvl myth has been debunked several times over, and I do have a legendary, but the proc rate is actually pretty low per fight.

You can check out my armory here (Not sure how legit this is because I certainly don't have that much haste)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/Melassan/simple

Or wowheroes here if that's your bag 

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Frostmane/Melassan/

I would really appreciate any feedback or comments.

Side note, lovin the DK though.

17 hours ago, Mikar said:

So, I'm not sure if people still follow this thread or not, but I've been away from the Icy Veins forums for a loooong time and I wanted to pop round and put in my 2 cents about my new main, a Frost DK.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HVhZmA3cDQXdBKPy#fight=1

TL;DR log standings: 8/19 Nythandra, 1/19 Elerythe, 5/19 Ursoc, 2/18 Dragons, 1/18 Il'gynoth, 2/18 Cenarius, 3/18 Xavius

Start off with those logs. That Nyth fight was just... I dunno what happened there, lol. 3 rots sucks, but it shouldn't hurt the deeps that much. As you can see, I'm pretty much top 5 every fight, and on a lot of fights (if not most) I'm first or second. Now, it is possible that every single person in my raids is a shit player, or has terrible ilvl, or blah blah blah. It could also be that most fights, aside from Nyth and Ursoc at some point have at least 2 targets (which works well for Frostscythe), I however think that it's far more likely that frost is in a much better place than a SIM would have you believe. My gear isn't remotely close to optimized either, I mean I do have 857 iLvl but the ilvl myth has been debunked several times over, and I do have a legendary, but the proc rate is actually pretty low per fight.

You can check out my armory here (Not sure how legit this is because I certainly don't have that much haste)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/Melassan/simple

Or wowheroes here if that's your bag 

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Frostmane/Melassan/

I would really appreciate any feedback or comments.

Side note, lovin the DK though.

With the way frozen pulse and icy talons play out, yes, any time off the boss is a huge dps loss. The ten seconds running rot out 3 times, does add up substantially, it almost makes one cry.

The state of frost isn't just sim based its log based. There are facts behind statements. Frost wasn't in a great place and even still not quite in a good place. However, its catching up. It scales much better than unholy does and even certain talent builds require higher stat levels then we can currently generate. In addition we have the 7.1 buffs coming as well. So late nighthold frost will likely overtake unholy. However, for the moment unholy is still vastily superior. Even then proper machine gun is a really high apm playstyle and that doesn't appeal to everyone. So, frosts current state is a little shakey, in mythic progression we see frost dks getting a bit better, but, no i would not say at the moment it is in a good state. 

Here are some heroics EN i did tuesday while helping out a friend's guild run. I ran 2/2/3/3/3/2/1. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/16563317/latest/

I used old wars on nyth, stopped after a few wipes on dragons ( i know right?) used greater dreanic str after that (1200 str for 20s, im broke af lol), flasked and 200 crit food buff (i know, fucking nomi, been running since day 1 24/7 still got nothing above 200) for every fight.

Im a little low on heart, died twice, first i got aggro off the tank on the first dominator lol... And i had a ww fail getting out of heart (thx blizz)

As for stats i believe i was running 28%crit 30%haste and 20% mastery.

Anyway i'd welcome some feedback and comments.

Edit: Awkwaaard

Edited by Alexizonfire
Missing link

1 hour ago, Alexizonfire said:

Here are some heroics EN i did tuesday while helping out a friend's guild run. I ran 2/2/3/3/3/2/1. 

I used old wars on nyth, stopped after a few wipes on dragons ( i know right?) used greater dreanic str after that (1200 str for 20s, im broke af lol), flasked and 200 crit food buff (i know, fucking nomi, been running since day 1 24/7 still got nothing above 200) for every fight.

Im a little low on heart, died twice, first i got aggro off the tank on the first dominator lol... And i had a ww fail getting out of heart (thx blizz)

As for stats i believe i was running 28%crit 30%haste and 20% mastery.

think you forgot to attach your logs :)

18 hours ago, Alexizonfire said:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/16563317/latest/

I don't think you're doing much wrong on the face of it, certainly the numbers on Nyth for single target with 2 x rots is very good.

Looking at armory in blood spec and judging by your ilvl in bags do you run with a Legendary in Frost.. if so.. which one?

Only comment for me, is that I'd run Obliteration with Frostscythe especially for the burst fights like Eleth but it's a very minor change.

For that fight and in general I'd only go with Icecap if you have the Leg. Bracers, hence my question on armory ;)

I'm only at testing stage for that setup myself at the moment as I've just got the bracers in the last couple of days.