FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

Gold Making: Obliterum

All things Obliterum - how to create your forge and use it to upgrade your gear and more importantly, make some gold doing it!

hTn2dEK.png

Introduction

The Obliterum forge is new to Legion and right now it can be used as a great source for gold making. It is unlocked through completing a quest chain in Dalaran and essentially allows the user to destroy crafted items (similar to disenchanting) to produce Obliterum AshObliterum Ash.  Collecting 100 ash produces one ObliterumObliterum.  This can be traded between players (and on the auction house) so players can upgrade any of their own 815 crafted gear by 5 item levels - up to a maximum of 850 ilvl (a total of 7 ObliterumObliterum per item).

As you can imagine, with a lot of players gearing up for raids (just under a week away), there is a huge market for Obliterum right now.

This guide will take take you through the quest chain to unlock your forge and also give you some examples of the most efficient ways to obtain your ash through obliterating.  Due to the fact you can obliterate pretty much any crafted item from Legion (this even includes items such as healing potions and gems, not just gear) - I will not be going into huge detail as to what items to obliterate, but giving a rough overview.  Researching your own server prices and the number of reagents and raw materials on your auction house will be key to maximising your profit! 

I will try and give a few good examples of items you should be obliterating but a comprehensive list would be a bit long!

Due to the fact that there is potential gold to be made this is a very very competitive market. Depending on your profession you may not be able to compete with other players in producing ash as efficiently so it may be worthwhile doing some research before you invest a lot of time and effort in getting hold of the materials to create your forge.  

Some addons like TSM may help you in calculating crafting costs but it may be worthwhile sitting down and just crunching some numbers and see how items pan out for your particular profession and your particular server.

Creating Your Forge

In order to obtain your own forge you are required to complete a fairly straight forward quest chain.  The chain starts in Dalaran in the Magnus Commerce exchange area of Dalaran (outside the Engineering shop)

The quests aren't too taxing and for most players, obtaining the four individual bracers may prove the most difficult.  Although the sewer quests can be a little frustrating it shouldn't take you too long to get through them and have you own shiny forge up and running!

Obliterating your items

23ash.PNG

As mentioned above pretty much any crafted item from Legion can be Obliterated.  It works in a very similar way to enchanting where you disenchant the item into particular materials.  This item is completely destroyed in the process and cannot be retrieved so just like disenchanting it is important you aren't obliterating anything you may want to keep hold of.  If like mine, your bags are particularly messy (and you have a few crafted items you want to keep or sell rather than obliterate) - put them in your bank or to one side so you don't accidentally destroy them (can you tell I've done it myself).  With the fel forge you will only ever receive Obliterum AshObliterum Ash, however the amount will vary depending on the actual item you choose to obliterate.

Obliterating can be a fairly time consuming process.  To speed this up there is a addon called Easy Obilterate.  It is considerably faster so check it out.  Here is the link to Curse.  

One thing to take into consideration is your time.  Although it is perfectly viable to obliterate lots of items (it sometimes yields greater ash in total for the raw materials you use in the crafting process), obliterating certain items that offer only 1-2 Obliterum AshObliterum Ash can take a very long time.  Where possible it may be worth your while finding a recipe that yields greater ash per obilterate (as long as you are still able to make a viable profit).  This is even more true if your playtime is limited due to work / school or other real life constraints (oh man to be a student again!).  Use your own judgement here, and again crunch those numbers, research in depth for your particular profession and remember, any time you do save can be spent doing other gold making activities such as farming, posting auctions or investing in your character!

What items should I Obliterate

I won't go into specifics for each item  / profession.  The figures I am giving below aren't exact and the ash will vary, but should give you some indication of an average figure.  As I haven't been able to complete each profession I have had to get some of the figures from elsewhere (guildies etc) so it is always best to research yourself for your own profession or do some testing using your own materials.  If you feel any of the values below are wrong please don't hesitate to let me know below and I will update accordingly!  

It goes without saying that the more materials you put into each craft the more ash you generally get.  Some more expensive crafts will net you more ash overall, however may cost you considerably more as prices on certain reagents are high so I can;t stress enough - research and number crunch according to your own server prices and continually check these items periodically as the auction house price on a large number of crafting materials is very volatile!

Wherever possible, look to obtain rank 3 recipes to reduce the overall materials required and / or increase the number of items produced.  Chances are there will be players on your server using the same recipes as you are, but if they have a higher ranked recipe they can stretch their materials further and it will impact on your profit potential as they can undercut you further!

For Leatherworkers, Tailors and Blacksmiths

715-795 crafted gear = 2-3 Obliterum AshObliterum Ash

815 crafted gear (no Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras) = 10-20

815 crafted gear (2x Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras) = 15-25 (more for the expensive recipes with rare reagents)

Alchemy

Potions = 1-2 ash (crafting potions at rank 3 will increase your overall yield significantly but don't calculate these bonus procs to be safe)

Flasks = 5-10

Alch Trinkets = 115-170

Jewelcrafting

Green Gems = 1 ash

Blue Gems = 10-15

715-795 crafted rings and neck = 2 ash

815 rings = 50-70

815 necks = 150-180

Engineering

715 Goggles = 5-8 ash

I sadly don't have much information as of yet for Inscription items or Engineering - so if anyone could help me with those that would be much appreciated!

Obliterating Crafted Gear when you are finished with it

I managed to get an upgrade for my gloves which were 7/7 850ilvl crafted.  I obliterated these and managed to obtain 202 ash.  So if you do swap your gear ensure you obliterate it afterwards! 

So far I have Obliterated

7/7 850 gloves - 202 ash

7/7 850 belt - 197 ash

What am I Obliterating?

So as I have been pretty vague as to what to obliterate I wanted to go into a little more depth as to how I am obtaining my Obliterum AshObliterum Ash to use for both my own gear and sell on the auction house.

My main character currently has both Enchanting and Leatherworking. 

I use the auction house to purchase all of my Stonehide LeatherStonehide Leather (I don't farm through skinning).

I am taking full advantage of the fact that I can obtain  Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras through disenchanting items that I craft, essentially giving me an unlimited supply of bloods without having to leave the auction house / mailbox (sad I know!)  It requires a bit of shuffling to ensure that I am using all of the materials produced (such as the enchanting materials) without having anything go to waste.  The Chaos CrystalChaos Crystal and Leylight ShardLeylight Shard that I receive through disenchanting I craft into enchants or just sell as raw material, but the main goal is to obtain  Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras.

So as a bit of a step by step process:

1. Buy a LOT of Stonehide LeatherStonehide Leather from the auction house (on my server I am willing to pay up to 15g per leather)

2. Craft as many Warhide BindingsWarhide Bindings as possible using the rank 3 recipe Warhide Bindings.  This will result in some epic "procs" which will give a nice profit when disenchanted into Chaos CrystalChaos Crystal.  I break about even with the rare quality ones with Leylight ShardLeylight Shard.  Through disenchanting these items you will receive a few   Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras.  The "drop" rate for the bloods is pretty low but is sufficient for my ash needs (just be prepared to disenchant quite a few bindings to get enough bloods for one full obliterum).

3. Use the  Blood of SargerasBlood of Sargeras and craft Dreadleather BeltDreadleather Belt using the rank 3 recipe Dreadleather Belt

4. Obliterate the Dreadleather BeltDreadleather Belt into 15-25 Obliterum AshObliterum Ash

5. Combine 100 Obliterum AshObliterum Ash into 1 ObliterumObliterum 

6. Profit

It can take quite a while, but the important thing here is the fact that I am able to get involved in quite a large number of markets as well as having the ObliterumObliterum  as an "end" product.  If prices drop on leather I am able to obtain more profit.  My calculations are all based on my own server pricing and to ensure I don't lose out I don't take into account any of the epic procs of the Warhide BindingsWarhide Bindings (incase in a particular crafting session I don't get lucky).  Enchants are a great way to make gold right now so it fits hand in hand with the Obliterum I am producing.

I appreciate that this is possibly very niche (as it requires you to craft the items on the same character as your enchanter to make use of the bloods) but if you are a gatherer and you have a decent supply of blood yourself then have a think about using some of the blood crafts.  Although not "free" the bloods I obtain are a by-product of my enchanting and therefore it essentially makes the belt recipe give me 20-30 ash for just 12 leather!

I hope this encourages you to perhaps "think outside of the box" with your own professions and to give those numbers a crunch and get stuck into your forge! Strike while it's hot and before everyone gets raid gear :P!

Wrap Up

I hope this guide has been useful!  I think its a great addition to the game and right now there is still plenty of opportunities to use it not only to make gold from, but perhaps to make your own obliterum for your own gear, more efficiently.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, or want to share what you are currently obliterating and why (a little like what I have done for leatherworking) it would be great for you to share them!

The great thing about this guide is that it does what gold makers do best: Discovering something and improving on it. 

I'm sure the next step will be looking at other crafted items and then creating one big HUGE spreadsheet that ties together all the prices of crafted items to make a shuffle, and then ultimately, a fancy TSM script.

• Like 1

I would be very careful with Obliterum, the market has exploded with new sellers due to guides just like this and prices have taken a massive hit. There is still profit in it but it's no longer as smooth as before and lots of buyers are utilising these methods to create their own instead of buying outright. 

I made about 500k from this in the past week but right now I'm struggling with it since there are lots more competition for resources to create it and not enough buyers, at least on my realm.

• Like 1

Just now, Sodam said:

I would be very careful with Obliterum, the market has exploded with new sellers due to guides just like this and prices have taken a massive hit. There is still profit in it but it's no longer as smooth as before and lots of buyers are utilising these methods to create their own instead of buying outright. 

I made about 500k from this in the past week but right now I'm struggling with it since there are lots more competition for resources to create it and not enough buyers, at least on my realm.

I've been told there has been a dupe wave on US servers since I wrote this the other day (only just posted it) so take care on US side.  Thankfully I havent seen anything on EU just yet!

6 minutes ago, kakascii said:

hello I got a question, what is a good way to make obliterum with tailoring ? :(

I don't have any specific items in mind other than the ash values above (similar to leatherworking) but it's worth experimenting a little if you can without spending too much on materials.

5 minutes ago, thegoldqueen said:

The great thing about this guide is that it does what gold makers do best: Discovering something and improving on it. 

I'm sure the next step will be looking at other crafted items and then creating one big HUGE spreadsheet that ties together all the prices of crafted items to make a shuffle, and then ultimately, a fancy TSM script.

Thanks TGQ I thought you were doing the TSM script ;) :P!

1 hour ago, Peelyon said:

Thanks TGQ I thought you were doing the TSM script ;) :P!

You guys do the hard stuff, I'll be the guy that tests it at the end. Good talk.

@Peelyon, I have a question : don't you feel slightly bad about this job? I mean, you reveal this intricately crafted gold making scheme that's completely fair and economically natural, but as @Sodam said, more competition makes it less effective. It's not like you mind losing gold as you are probably the richest person to play WoW ever, period. and the official "Gold maker person man guy" (C), but maybe somebody else FeelsBad?

On the side and completely unrelated note, this came to my mind because there is a guy in Magic: The Gathering community working on a pretty popular site who makes videos with wacky decks using junk rares that nobody would ever thought to work but they work, and that can sometimes spike card prices. Up to 1000%! - that is, most of the time, going from 0.01$ to 1$. Plus Reddit/Twitter sometimes can meme out and spike prices based on hype too. Doesn't that happen in WoW?

Firstly my reach isn't big enough to make a difference :P

Secondly the majority of "serious" gold makers are already doing it.  I was pretty slow to get this post up and the early uptake gold has kind of gone now.

Lastly - you'd be surprised how lazy people are.  A lot of people will see a technique or a method and think "ooh that's a great idea" but actually then going in game and putting it into practice is a different thing altogether. It's why I wanted to put my own example of how I get Obliterum in a bit more depth to show the effort I put in.  However the method above it just as much for the enchanting materials than the Obliterum itself.

I haven't sold any Obliterum today but my enchant sales are crazy good

enchants.PNG

That's just from today.

Laziness is the key to making gold in WoW. Not your own laziness, but other people's. They are too lazy to do the most simple tasks, it's crazy.

5 hours ago, Blainie said:

Laziness is the key to making gold in WoW. Not your own laziness, but other people's. They are too lazy to do the most simple tasks, it's crazy.

might be true here... and I can't understand why they keep playing? !

1 hour ago, Repeteds said:

might be true here... and I can't understand why they keep playing? !

Some people don't have that much time in game, others just don't enjoy any form of gold making.  There's a lot of players that want to login - do the content they like whether its raids dungeons PvP etc then logoff without worrying about gold.

A lot of those players gain gold very passively through thinks like boss kills WQ's now (garrisons in WoD) and somehow manage to survive enough to repair their gear :P

Then theres players that enjoy gold making and make a lot of gold in other ways so they can be lazy in others.  I'm a perfect example in some sense - I am super strict and calculate profits on certain items, then go to the auction house on raid breaks and spend a fortune on a cut gem knowing the player is making a huge profit.  It doesn't bother me too much because ultimately there are SO many ways of making gold its pretty tough to keep on top of everything at once.

Wow that was a bit of a mini rant XD

2 hours ago, Peelyon said:

Wow that was a bit of a mini rant XD

I completely agree, but there are definitely people that just can't be buggered to do half of the gold-making stuff. I understand limited time frames and such, but that low ore market is just glorious!

7 minutes ago, kewak said:

This is not the case, just tested and got 2 ash.

What exact item level did you obliterate? Will help Peelyon to keep this updated if you can give any extra information.

6 hours ago, Blainie said:

What exact item level did you obliterate? Will help Peelyon to keep this updated if you can give any extra information.

The 765 azsunite neck, but I'm fairly certain all items in this band only give 2 ash.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kewak said:

The 765 azsunite neck, but I'm fairly certain all items in this band only give 2 ash.

Might be worth investigating and updating then @Peelyon

14 hours ago, kewak said:

Thanks I'll update it with these new findings!

• Like 1

Thank you for the guide!

Quick question what is the return on crafted items that have been upgraded with obliterum? Do you get the obliterum back? More ash? Or the same as if it was still an 815?

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Sniz said:

Thank you for the guide!

Quick question what is the return on crafted items that have been upgraded with obliterum? Do you get the obliterum back? More ash? Or the same as if it was still an 815?

Thanks again!

You get more dust, yes, but you do not get the same amount that you put in. Not sure of exact values.

Yeah sorry Sniz I've not needed to swap out any gear I've upgraded yet so dont want to test it just yet. For obvious reasons it wont be the same value as you put into it though.  So ideally it would only be for your own gear after you've finished with it rather than uusing it as a viable method of gold making!

Searched on Google, there is a thread that was deleted from a week ago, but can see a preview of it:

Obliterated a 7/7 Demonsteel Belt. Yielded 192 dust.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

Searched on Google, there is a thread that was deleted from a week ago, but can see a preview of it:

Hope it helps!

Wow! Thank you!

and yikes!

Good thing players don't like to experiment with different stat combinations...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peelyon said:

Yeah sorry Sniz I've not needed to swap out any gear I've upgraded yet so dont want to test it just yet. For obvious reasons it wont be the same value as you put into it though.  So ideally it would only be for your own gear after you've finished with it rather than uusing it as a viable method of gold making!

OBLITERATE IT ALL

• Like 1