FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Metztli

Trinkets and Rings question for MM

3 hours ago, Metztli said:

I have no idea how to use this website.

You have several options:

Don't bother with optimizing and use items with highest item level. It's generally a safe bet, and it's unlikely to set you back compared to items of lower level, but better stats.

If you do want to optimize your gear, you WILL HAVE TO learn new things, and how to do them yourself. You can't expect to go on forums and ask other people do it for you all the time. 

It's the kind of "give a man a fish / teach a man to fish".

Now, you have several options to optimize your gear yourself. They usually involve knowing your stat weights.

Stat weight is a DPS increase that you get if you increase one of your stats by 1 point. Stats like agility, weapon DPS, mastery, haste, etc.

You can import stat weights into an addon called "Pawn", and it will insert information if the item is in upgrade for you into its tooltip. 

Stat weights are also used by larger platforms, such as Ask Mr. Robot - they can optimize your whole gear and tell you which items to equip, which enchants and gems to use - based on your whole inventory. It also offers other services, such as tell you which instances and raids can drop items that would be an upgrade for you. However, Ask Mr. Robot requires a paid subscription to give access to full feature set.

Where to get stat weights: you can use generic stat weights from Azortharion's hunter guides, here on Icy Veins.

However, stat weights are dynamic and personal. They change based on YOUR gear. 

To have the best precision, you have to get your own, personal stat weights, based on YOUR gear and YOUR rotation.

Simulationcraft is the best tool to acquire those stat weights. It runs thousands of simulations on YOUR character with YOUR gear with a rotation that YOU can specify - and give you an average assessment of what would be the most important stats for you at this moment.

To be completely sure, it is better to not rely on stat weights at all, and sim your character several times with different combinations of equipment.

Learning to simcraft is not easy, it requires basic programming skills, but it's a worthwhile time and effort investment if you want to push your gear to the maximum. 

To recap, you have three options before you:

1. Use higher item level (easy)

2. Use Pawn or Ask Mr. Robot with stat weights from Azor's hunter guides (intermediate)

3. Use simcraft to find upgrades for yourself (pro)

For all of the above, there are multitude of guides on google. "I don't know" is a lazy excuse. Better think "where can I learn", if you truly want to bother with your gear.

Edited by Iridar

13 hours ago, Iridar said:

You have several options:

Don't bother with optimizing and use items with highest item level. It's generally a safe bet, and it's unlikely to set you back compared to items of lower level, but better stats.

If you do want to optimize your gear, you WILL HAVE TO learn new things, and how to do them yourself. You can't expect to go on forums and ask other people do it for you all the time. 

It's the kind of "give a man a fish / teach a man to fish".

Now, you have several options to optimize your gear yourself. They usually involve knowing your stat weights.

Stat weight is a DPS increase that you get if you increase one of your stats by 1 point. Stats like agility, weapon DPS, mastery, haste, etc.

You can import stat weights into an addon called "Pawn", and it will insert information if the item is in upgrade for you into its tooltip. 

Stat weights are also used by larger platforms, such as Ask Mr. Robot - they can optimize your whole gear and tell you which items to equip, which enchants and gems to use - based on your whole inventory. It also offers other services, such as tell you which instances and raids can drop items that would be an upgrade for you. However, Ask Mr. Robot requires a paid subscription to give access to full feature set.

Where to get stat weights: you can use generic stat weights from Azortharion's hunter guides, here on Icy Veins.

However, stat weights are dynamic and personal. They change based on YOUR gear. 

To have the best precision, you have to get your own, personal stat weights, based on YOUR gear and YOUR rotation.

Simulationcraft is the best tool to acquire those stat weights. It runs thousands of simulations on YOUR character with YOUR gear with a rotation that YOU can specify - and give you an average assessment of what would be the most important stats for you at this moment.

To be completely sure, it is better to not rely on stat weights at all, and sim your character several times with different combinations of equipment.

Learning to simcraft is not easy, it requires basic programming skills, but it's a worthwhile time and effort investment if you want to push your gear to the maximum. 

To recap, you have three options before you:

1. Use higher item level (easy)

2. Use Pawn or Ask Mr. Robot with stat weights from Azor's hunter guides (intermediate)

3. Use simcraft to find upgrades for yourself (pro)

For all of the above, there are multitude of guides on google. "I don't know" is a lazy excuse. Better think "where can I learn", if you truly want to bother with your gear.

Thanks for the reply, I'm using PWN is quite easy compared to the simcraft ( I really don't think I'll invest time learning this program).Problem is that PWN overvalues some things and undervalues other so it's not really accurate in my opinion, I guess I'll just keep making predictions based on my "eye" and just play the game it's not like I'm hardcore player or anything.Thank you for the detailed post.

1 hour ago, Metztli said:

Thanks for the reply, I'm using PWN is quite easy compared to the simcraft ( I really don't think I'll invest time learning this program).Problem is that PWN overvalues some things and undervalues other so it's not really accurate in my opinion, I guess I'll just keep making predictions based on my "eye" and just play the game it's not like I'm hardcore player or anything.Thank you for the detailed post.

Pawn doesn't undervalue or overvalue any piece of gear by itself. It judges gear by stat weights. You can replace default (inaccurate) stat weights with Azor's stat weights: http://pastebin.com/EpdZ5Y3D

They are generic, so should work fine for you. Importing stat weights into Pawn is real easy, you just copy paste one Pawn string and that's it.

On 9/19/2016 at 4:47 PM, Iridar said:

Pawn doesn't undervalue or overvalue any piece of gear by itself. It judges gear by stat weights. You can replace default (inaccurate) stat weights with Azor's stat weights: http://pastebin.com/EpdZ5Y3D

They are generic, so should work fine for you. Importing stat weights into Pawn is real easy, you just copy paste one Pawn string and that's it.

I was talking about that PAWN doesn't put any weight over effects that have a chance to proc or active ones (talking about trinkets/rings)

5 hours ago, Metztli said:

I was talking about that PAWN doesn't put any weight over effects that have a chance to proc or active ones (talking about trinkets/rings)

That is true. Again, have to use simcraft to find out about these effects. Azor already has most trinkets simmed here: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/marksmanship-hunter-pve-dps-gear-legendaries-best-in-slot

• Like 1