Recent Posts(time since post)
Popular Topics(last 3 days)
Mage PvE in 5.47 replies to this topic
Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:09 PM
However at the moment there isn't much to see for mages, because Mage is the only class with no changes listed. But we can still see some of their new ideas from the changes to the other classes:
1. Casters are immobile. Period.
- Warlock's Kil'jaden's Cunning is no longer a passive ability, but an instant cast that has a duration of 15 seconds with a 1.5 minute cooldown.
- So are Elemental Shaman's Lightning Bolt and Fire Mage's Scorch the only spells with a cast time that you can cast while moving? It will be interesting to see if they will survive to 5.4.
2. Ranged will take more damage
- Balance Druid's Moonkin Form no longer reduces all damage taken by 15%.
- Hunter's Aspect of the Iron Hawk now reduces all damage taken by 10%, down from 15%.
- Shadow Priest's Shadowform no longer reduces all damage taken by 15%.
- Warlock's Fel Armor no longer reduces all damage taken by 10%.
The one thing in the notes I'm wondering is that in PvE there are three specs that have been very underpresented in patches 5.2 and 5.3: Arcane Mage, Marksmanship Hunter and Subtlety Rogue. Unfortunately I couldn't see any effort to make those more popular.
Mages will see changes, that is for sure. We just don't know the changes yet. My guesses are:
- Fire can prepare for a nerf because of the amount of crit they will get from T16 gear
- Frost will get a PvE buff
- Arcane stays as it is because Blizzard doesn't know what to do with it
Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:11 PM
Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:26 PM
You forgot that Hunters maintain all of their mobility. They are essentially a mobile caster.
I didn't. Blizzard's definitions are:
- Hunters are Ranged Physical Damage Dealers.
- Mages, Warlocks, Balance Druids, Elemental Shamans and Shadow Priests are Ranged Magic Damage Dealers.
When I speak about casters I mean the latter group.
Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:36 PM
Raid Leader of <Semi Respectable> - US-Mal'Ganis, 14/14H
Gear, Parses, and Achievements - WoW-Heroes Profile & Rankings
Log Analysis Sign-ups here!
Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:06 AM
Hunters "cast" Aimed Shot, Cobra Shot, and Steady Shot. They are, in essence, no different than the casters from a gameplay perspective. That was my only point.
If you want to take that logic then the entire game is full of casters. It's a spell, it gets cast. His point is, and many other sites refer to it this way, that a traditional "caster" does magic damage while Hunters are considered to be ranged physcial dps. So ranged casters vs. ranged physical dps dealers. Even a favorite of this site, elvui, notes a difference between the two when setting up their ui.
Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 PM
Edited by Grimsheeper, 19 June 2013 - 06:40 PM.
Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:42 AM
Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:15 AM
Has there been a change to frost mastery on the ptr?
Yes, it seems that Blizzard is trying to make some popular specs/classes less popular. First they targetted Warlocks, because in MoP Warlocks - traditionally one of the least played classes - became extremely popular in both PvE and PvP.
Now they are hitting Frost mages in PvP. Maybe it was too popular spec there? The new Mastery of Frost spec in PTR is:
Fingers of Frost now increases the damage of Ice Lance by an additional 16%, and Brain Freeze increases the damage of the instant Frostfire Bolt by 16%. Increases the damage done by your Water Elemental by 16%.
The current live Mastery is:
All your spells deal 16% increased damage against Frozen targets. Increases the damage done by your Water Elemental by 16%.