FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Siniwelho

Mage PvE in 5.4

The notes for PTR 5.4 are out.

http://us.battle.net..._Soon-6_11_2013

However at the moment there isn't much to see for mages, because Mage is the only class with no changes listed. But we can still see some of their new ideas from the changes to the other classes:

1. Casters are immobile. Period.

- Warlock's Kil'jaden's Cunning is no longer a passive ability, but an instant cast that has a duration of 15 seconds with a 1.5 minute cooldown.

- So are Elemental Shaman's Lightning Bolt and Fire Mage's Scorch the only spells with a cast time that you can cast while moving? It will be interesting to see if they will survive to 5.4.

2. Ranged will take more damage

- Balance Druid's Moonkin Form no longer reduces all damage taken by 15%.

- Hunter's Aspect of the Iron Hawk now reduces all damage taken by 10%, down from 15%.

- Shadow Priest's Shadowform no longer reduces all damage taken by 15%.

- Warlock's Fel Armor no longer reduces all damage taken by 10%.

The one thing in the notes I'm wondering is that in PvE there are three specs that have been very underpresented in patches 5.2 and 5.3: Arcane Mage, Marksmanship Hunter and Subtlety Rogue. Unfortunately I couldn't see any effort to make those more popular.

Mages will see changes, that is for sure. We just don't know the changes yet. My guesses are:

- Fire can prepare for a nerf because of the amount of crit they will get from T16 gear

- Frost will get a PvE buff

- Arcane stays as it is because Blizzard doesn't know what to do with it

• Like 1

You forgot that Hunters maintain all of their mobility. They are essentially a mobile caster.

• Like 1

You forgot that Hunters maintain all of their mobility. They are essentially a mobile caster.

I didn't. Blizzard's definitions are:

- Hunters are Ranged Physical Damage Dealers.

- Mages, Warlocks, Balance Druids, Elemental Shamans and Shadow Priests are Ranged Magic Damage Dealers.

When I speak about casters I mean the latter group.

Hunters "cast" Aimed Shot, Cobra Shot, and Steady Shot. They are, in essence, no different than the casters from a gameplay perspective. That was my only point.

• Like 3

Hunters "cast" Aimed Shot, Cobra Shot, and Steady Shot. They are, in essence, no different than the casters from a gameplay perspective. That was my only point.

If you want to take that logic then the entire game is full of casters. It's a spell, it gets cast. His point is, and many other sites refer to it this way, that a traditional "caster" does magic damage while Hunters are considered to be ranged physcial dps. So ranged casters vs. ranged physical dps dealers. Even a favorite of this site, elvui, notes a difference between the two when setting up their ui.

God. Still no Mage changes. I have to think this is either a really good sign or its so god awful they just can't bring themselves to post it this early in the PTR to put off the wall of QQ they will receive. Maybe they figured they had better space it out between Locks and Mages given the KJC response. Posted Image Edited by Grimsheeper
  • Like 1

Am I reading the new info right? Has there been a change to frost mastery on the ptr? From what I read from wowhead frost damage is no longer increased against frozen damage but just flat buffed 16% for ice lances from fingers of frost and frostfire bolts from brain freeze?

Has there been a change to frost mastery on the ptr?

Yes, it seems that Blizzard is trying to make some popular specs/classes less popular. First they targetted Warlocks, because in MoP Warlocks - traditionally one of the least played classes - became extremely popular in both PvE and PvP.

Now they are hitting Frost mages in PvP. Maybe it was too popular spec there? The new Mastery of Frost spec in PTR is:

Mastery: Frostburn

Fingers of Frost now increases the damage of Ice Lance by an additional 16%, and Brain Freeze increases the damage of the instant Frostfire Bolt by 16%. Increases the damage done by your Water Elemental by 16%.

The current live Mastery is:

Mastery: Frostburn

All your spells deal 16% increased damage against Frozen targets. Increases the damage done by your Water Elemental by 16%.