FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gseckz

MM too much RnG?

I'm doing the raid and mythic plus, for the most part i top dps or at top 10(25man raid). However I'm almost always below or next to bm hunters who are the same ilv as me and I feel to beat them I have to have the right RNG and the right position for the barrages.  Here I am disengaging/aspect of the Cheetahs just to get the right position for barrages while the BM hunter just facerolls and the difference on dps is minimal.

Am I doing it wrong? Is MM really the better raid spec? Because right now I feel like bm is better in raids and mythics plus, consistent dps beats rng/positioning damage. Also lets talk about the MM legendary even with Ulr which is BIS I believe the max you can cast Trueshot Aura is 2x before it dies, which is the same as taking that -30 seconds artifact power.

Edited by Gseckz

Unfortunately, we don't know what you're doing in the raid. It might be that you are underperforming for your gear level. Can you show us a log or at least your armory?

On our first raid run today we killed 6 bosses, and from what I've seen, there's a lot of stacked AOE that BM can take advantage of. I myself benefited from it as piercing shot MM, but being the only hunter in our raid, have nothing to compare to. 

Being BM certainly requires less finesse than MM, but I had no difficulty positioning for Barrages, you just kinda have to keep a mental watch of it, and start moving in advance. 

For now we're raiding on normal difficulty, which is more or less of a faceroll, maybe we transition into heroics the  DPS difference will mean more, but for now it seems tactics are much more important than raw damage.

As long as DPS difference for you is within ~10%, I wouldn't worry about it at all. After all, specs are different, and will have advantages in different situations. So focus on your strengths and try to make a difference where it matters.

Yesterday we raided HC. We had 4 Hunters in our raid, 3 MM and me as BM, cause i thought the movement required would decrease MM dps. Most bosses we had nearly the same dps. Just ilgy.. whatever, the MM Hunters were way ahead of me. Notice that i dont got the second golden perk for aoe as BM.

As example, Bosses like Nythendra and Ursoc require some movement, so i take advantage as BM, in the sum we ended up like ~230k dps for the MM´s ~848 ilvl (~872ilvl weapon) and ~230k dps by me with 847 ilvl (871 ilvl weapon).

Note that i got Naraxas spiked ilvl 840 trinket, which is nearly useless in the raid, too many proccs at short range...

I´m currently in the office, will read the logs later and look how nearly it was.

But what i can say is that the MM´s where after every fight like: "Whoa, finally its over" and i was like "that´s all?"

I dont think that i play BM the full content, its just too boring, but your movement is unbeatable. :)

My Armory : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Gseckz/simple

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PbKwzZjCAW8xRcVB/#type=damage-done&fight=22

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/maFn9JH362DqPbzv

I only have 1 golden trait,and i think the bm is poping potions( I wasn't).  We have the same ilv but hes clearly ahead of me, if i mess up 1 barrage positioning and the only reason I feel i get 2nd or first on dps is because of lock and load procs. It triggers me and that I have to rely on that rng. Were neck to neck most of the time unless I get that lock and load proc and I go ahead for a while.

Am I doing it wrong? Also can you guys tell me how viable marks is in mythic plus? Currently have to spec BM to play mythic Plus+3 because we need the bloodlust.

Edited by Gseckz

4 hours ago, Gseckz said:

It triggers me and that I have to rely on that rng. Were neck to neck most of the time unless I get that lock and load proc and I go ahead for a while.

Am I doing it wrong?

Rely on RNG to do what? Win a meaningless DPS race? Your worth as a raider isn't measured in just your damage output.

Your priority in raid encounters should be:

1. Follow fight's tactics

2. Take the least possible amount of damage while doing so

3. Deal the most possible amount of damage while doing so

DPS by itself really isn't worth anything, as long as you're not hitting berserk. 

Have a bit more mental security. It's not like everyone will think "oh he did 5% less damage than another hunter once, he sucks". Skill isn't measured in DPS in any single fight, but in ability to perform consistently well.