Brettakiss

Returning Rogue - Survivability probs/Spec suggestions for 100-110

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, so I am a loooong time returning rogue (TBC). So, needless to say, I know little to nothing about rogues anymore. I only leveled my rogue after each new pac, then ended up losing interest. Legion has my attention, I love it so far, and I would LOVE to start playing rogue again. I heard that outlaw was the way to go in regards to leveling, so I tried it, but the RNG kills me. I can't stand Roll the Bones. Sure, it adds "mystery", but I would rather be calculated than 'lucky'. 

However, the main problem I have with Outlaw is the survivability. Of course, rogues are squishy. But with the play style that Outlaw lends itself toward, I feel that I shouldn't be near death after only 2 mobs (which has been the case, add in a third and I am dead). Now, I am not sure if I am doing something wrong - I have read all of Icy Veins tutorials and guides on rogues. But I am wondering if maybe I should switch to Assassin or Sub? do they have more control/survivability? 

And numbers aside, do you guys like them? Are they FUN?

Thanks all.

22 hours ago, Brettakiss said:

Hello all, so I am a loooong time returning rogue (TBC). So, needless to say, I know little to nothing about rogues anymore. I only leveled my rogue after each new pac, then ended up losing interest. Legion has my attention, I love it so far, and I would LOVE to start playing rogue again. I heard that outlaw was the way to go in regards to leveling, so I tried it, but the RNG kills me. I can't stand Roll the Bones. Sure, it adds "mystery", but I would rather be calculated than 'lucky'. 

However, the main problem I have with Outlaw is the survivability. Of course, rogues are squishy. But with the play style that Outlaw lends itself toward, I feel that I shouldn't be near death after only 2 mobs (which has been the case, add in a third and I am dead). Now, I am not sure if I am doing something wrong - I have read all of Icy Veins tutorials and guides on rogues. But I am wondering if maybe I should switch to Assassin or Sub? do they have more control/survivability? 

And numbers aside, do you guys like them? Are they FUN?

Thanks all.

Levelling in Legion is a MUCH different flavour than previous expansions have been. Mobs can and will kill you, fairly frequently. Outlaw has a great kit though, if you use it properly.

My advice is to level with the Iron Stomach talent, which will give you a lot more staying power in fights. Don't forget about Riposte, which if they're attacking you is a nice extra bit of damage you can deal, your stuns (Cheap Shot, Between the Eyes), Blind, and Gouge. Also Sap, if you get to pick the fight instead of them running up to you. Bribe is also kind of a neat skill, although tbh I haven't used it a whole lot.

With all of the tools at your disposal you stand very little risk of actually dying - if you're ever in a tight spot or get nervous about your chances, Vanish out and pick a different fight.

All of that said... Yeah I really, REALLY hate Roll the Bones too. 

Personally I love Sub. I've been a Sub Rogue for 11 years, and I still enjoy it. Currently it doesn't perform well enough for my liking; although it does just fine for levelling, its raid performance is low compared to what it will be at the end of the tier. It's very dominant for PvP as well (although all Rogue specs are, in general)

Haven't said this in a while, but having food or bandages while levelling is surprisingly useful again. 

I'd suggest leveling as Sub. It has superb control, mobility and you can keep on the move from mob to mob due to the passive healing of Soothing DarknessSoothing Darkness allied with Crimson VialCrimson Vial. You burn any add quickly with Strike from the ShadowsStrike from the Shadows and Marked for DeathMarked for Death.

Otl is currently the best performing spec, but god how I hate that RNG and the spam. It's giving me hand injuries lol.

Edited by lipsinch

42 minutes ago, lipsinch said:

I'd suggest leveling as Sub. It has superb control, mobility and you can keep on the move from mob to mob due to the passive healing of Soothing DarknessSoothing Darkness allied with Crimson VialCrimson Vial. You burn any add quickly with Strike from the ShadowsStrike from the Shadows and Marked for DeathMarked for Death.

Otl is currently the best performing spec, but god how I hate that RNG and the spam. It's giving me hand injuries lol.

How I feel playing Outlaw

Spam spam spam

As someone would started playing WoW again from a 4 years break, I totally understand you right now. My opinion is really different than Carrn tho.

16 hours ago, Carrn said:

Levelling in Legion is a MUCH different flavour than previous expansions have been. Mobs can and will kill you, fairly frequently. Outlaw has a great kit though, if you use it properly.

Mobs hit harder than they did in previous expac, yes, some have WAY more HPs. But this is not, a reason to think they are harder. As a rogue you can manage to kill a mob without taking a single hit. I did this lvling my rogue this expac, trying out all 3 spec and reading everything on Icy-veins too. 

As assassination. This spec is really fun to play when soloing. I played this spec from 100 to 106. Realising in instances how my DPS sucked, Barely reaching 100k DPS on bosses, with 100% uptime DOTs. Currently the weakest spec IMO. But to lvl, the spec is perfectly fine as you get to DOT everything up and go to the next target. Good Crimson vial + Leeching poison, it's really easy to stay at 90% + life rampaging everything.

As Sub, it all comes down to using Shadow Dance. I lvled from 106-108ish in this spec. In PVE, I always feel like i'm trying to DOT everything without doing any DMG. It's like a sub-par Assassination. But, on bosses, I managed to pull roughly 30% more DPS (Switching back and forth to assassination to compare with the lvl going up). But with the current horde situation on my server ( I think they out number Allies on a ratio of 10 : 1 ) Sub allowed a little more fun. More mobility, Blind ( YES YOU DON'T HAVE BLIND IN ASSASSINATION AND IT SUCKS). And the Dmg increase was nice too. Most fun I had was the part where you don't take fall dmg once you get that artefact Power up. That was amazing, specially for Stormheim and Highmountain.

But then I switched Outlaw, which is my favorite (My personnal choice but i'll tell you why). I'm lazy, I don't want to have to watch everything going on every single minute of every single debuff / buff / enemy ability. Of course Roll the bones is RNG, but most of the time I wait to get a True Bearing and Pop everything to be able to pop everything again a minute and a half later. Easier for you would just to take SnDice and just Spam Run Through the rest of the time. 

The Major difference between Sub and Outlaw atm is that you have "so many" spells to micro manage in Sub atm to compete with the Dmg you output with Outlaw that it aint worth it for me. I'm a Sinister Strike old school guy. And the tanks in instances aren't really friendly with sub rogues atm. 30% dmg increase on BS is worth it, and they just run around like retards. So far I reached 110 a week ago, not raelly saying I got it all figured out, but I'm always top DPS in the group I'm in with half an artefact wasted in 2 other spec.

N.B. Grapling hook is the best spell ever.