FORUMS
Damien

Menagerie Secrets Hunter Standard

This deck seems to be awfully popular around me, and that is EU server rank 6-4 end of season, beating classic Hunters by a wide margin. About time it's here on site.

It is to be said that I like the deck. Additional snowball potential and high Barnes consistency is what I've felt to be classic Midrange Hunter's problems. It's not like your filler minions - Bloodfen Raptors of various names - were good, so might as well play Ogre Magi and some Spider Tanks instead. Fight them at your strengths, not your weak spots, that's my beat. However, increased "good draw" power almost always comes with a cost of low "bad draw "power, which is a problem of the deck sometimes. 

To anybody else that never played a secret hunter before- you will several games in a row when you start, but as soon as you get the hang of it you'll start winning a lot.

The biggest mistakes I made at the beginning was over-valuing the secret keeper and buffing it with secrets as much as possible rather than holding the secrets for a better time. Don't buff it with explosive trap or snipe on turn two, save them for later.

Also don't get overexcited by the card that makes secrets cost 0 and throw them all on the board at once unless they're helpful at that time.

I know it sounds like common sense but I hope this is helpful to anybody unfamiliar with hunter secrets

Started playing this deck last night and got to rank 7 so far. It does great against almost every class in the meta. The only problem I'm running into now are the shamans.

Aggro shamans are a joke- snipe on turn 2 and they kill their golems with it and can't recover in time. The totem shamans are a whole different story though. I can dominate them all the way until they get their thuderbluff valiant, then they drop the 5/5 taunt minions in front of it and become untouchable as the board fills with stronger and stronger totems every round.

What should the strategy for that be? It has 6 health so there isn't any real method to kill it that I can see. The 5/5s prevent the lion from getting in and they use their totems to break the secrets I put down.

Any advice?

Look for aggresive hands, pressure them and outtempo Shamans in the mid game. Basically that's what deck excels at and what has propelled it into its tier status.

The problems may come from the fact their removal is good and you don't really have a lot of attackers to break totems, and nerfed Call sucks, but I think you can leverage it. I agree that Totem is much harder than a normal Midrange was.

Guest Jay of Grey

This deck is pretty great, took out the snake trap for a second bear trap
But the rest of it is dope af

On 10/14/2016 at 8:14 PM, Guest Jay of Grey said:

This deck is pretty great, took out the snake trap for a second bear trap
But the rest of it is dope af

Glad to hear you're enjoying it :) I assume the 2nd bear trap is working well?

This deck looks cool, like the guy before i swapped snake trap for bear trap since its better value and theres no knife juggler and houndmaster anyway.Now I have all adventure legendaries,leeroy and thalnos(my legend rank friend stole my phone and dusted rend and moroes though),so whats a replacement for rag?So far im using Nefarian for curator synergy and the badass summoning quotes.

I wanted to see how this works, because I've seen a lot recently.

In, I don't know how many, games I played, 3 times my opponent added me after the game, one is still in my friend list, while other 2 just insulted me in various ways then removed me from friends list.

So, everyone loves this deck, it is really adorable :)

@TheEviscerator: Rag is a legendary whose niche is not easily covered by anything else, however, other late game threats should be fine I guess, so Nefarian could be okay. As soon you have enough dust, craft one though, as it is one of the best legendaries in the game and since it is a part of classic set, it will be in standard forever.

@TheEvisceratorNefarian is extremely reliant on the meta. It is rather slow and needs a class with good spells as your main matchup. Current meta full of midrange shamans does not meet those requirements. Chromaggus is often considered to be better, as it allows you to play it and hero power on the same turn.

Don't dust cards that are not about to rotate out. Disenchanting Moroes is rather risky. I remember people disenchanting Noble Sacrifice (see Mysterious Challenger, the card that caused Great Sundering of play mode) or Alexstrasza's Champion because they seemed rather useless at the time. That is why I never disenchant any cards, not even golden Bestial Wraths.

K tks for your advice @positiv2.another thing I'm curious about is the secrets,but imo bear trap is much better than snake trap without houndmaster or knife juggler...I'm probably missing something about it but why not 2 bear traps?just curious 

3 hours ago, TheEviscerator said:

K tks for your advice @positiv2.another thing I'm curious about is the secrets,but imo bear trap is much better than snake trap without houndmaster or knife juggler...I'm probably missing something about it but why not 2 bear traps?just curious 

Snakes are harder to clear and give you better trading options than Ironfur Grizzly. Additionally, you opponent will more often want to trade than to go face, which means Snake Trap will proc sooner than Bear Trap.

26 minutes ago, KnightGoose88 said:

Would Eater of secrets be a decent inclusion in this deck with all of the secret decks in the meta? 

Eater of Secrets is extremely hit-or-miss. It can win you games, it can totally screw your games. Use only if you face a lot of secret decks (at least 50% I'd say) and have negative winrate against them. If you have positive winrate, do not include. 

41 minutes ago, KnightGoose88 said:

Can I sub 1 tracking for a CotW? Is the 2nd tracking really necessary? 

Is 2 CotW really necessary?

1 hour ago, KnightGoose88 said:

Can I sub 1 tracking for a CotW? Is the 2nd tracking really necessary? 

The reverse was actually the only recent change made to the deck, when CotW became 9-mana. Personally, I would prefer the Tracking. If you feel like you desperately need the second CotW, then you can make the sub.