FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

Frost Getting big buffs

So our third spec frost is currently very under tuned and struggles to pull even competitive dps. Blizz took notes and it is getting some pretty healthy buffs

Frost

• Remorseless Winter damage increased by 50%.
  • Obliterate damage increased by 19%.
  • Frost Strike damage increased by 12%.
  • Howling Blast damage increased by 10%.
  • Frostscythe (Talent) damage increased by 13%.
  • Frozen Pulse (Talent) damage increased by 11%.
  • Breath of Sindragosa (Talent) damage increased by 17%.

As far as rotation impact I imagine the machine gun rotation will still be the best one by far, There may be the possibility of adding BoS to it as a sort of hybrid build but that's a big maybe (doubtful because of the strength of frost strike but we'll see). So, even sticking with basic machine gun rotation, we should see some pretty healthy dps jumps :)

so to all playing unholy just because you felt you add to, next tuesday is your big day, let the reign of frost begin!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Hey demonard, been a while.

I actually started Legion as Frost, because, well, what is not to love about the general theme of a Frost DK wielding pieces of Frostmourne?

But yeah, UH simply does way too much dmg in comparison and I went with UH and it even grew upon me, though I still love Frost. So these changes, even though they're not going to make Frost stronger than UH, are very welcome.

I think this means our AOE (especially burst AOE) and cleave is going to be atleast on par with most specs. How strong exactly has to be observed and tested. Hopefully this will make us viable for Mythic+, as we sure aren't going to be in raids (in comparison to UH).

The 20% buff to Obliterate might seem huge, but it is in fact really small. The reason is - Obliterate (in a straight forward Patchwerk fight) only does about 8% of your overall damage. Frost Strike is where our main ST dmg lies, which is buffed by 12% - not all that amazing.

Link to a Warcraft Log from one of the better Frost DK's for Ursoc: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CV4gTMkXLramf39Z#fight=15&type=damage-done&source=29

All in all I feel like this will catapult us from the very bottom to atleast a solid middleground. 

Edited by ChaiNspliT

6 hours ago, ChaiNspliT said:

Hey demonard, been a while.

I actually started Legion as Frost, because, well, what is not to love about the general theme of a Frost DK wielding pieces of Frostmourne?

But yeah, UH simply does way too much dmg in comparison and I went with UH and it even grew upon me, though I still love Frost. So these changes, even though they're not going to make Frost stronger than UH, are very welcome.

I think this means our AOE (especially burst AOE) and cleave is going to be atleast on par with most specs. How strong exactly has to be observed and tested. Hopefully this will make us viable for Mythic+, as we sure aren't going to be in raids (in comparison to UH).

The 20% buff to Obliterate might seem huge, but it is in fact really small. The reason is - Obliterate (in a straight forward Patchwerk fight) only does about 8% of your overall damage. Frost Strike is where our main ST dmg lies, which is buffed by 12% - not all that amazing.

Link to a Warcraft Log from one of the better Frost DK's for Ursoc: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CV4gTMkXLramf39Z#fight=15&type=damage-done&source=29

All in all I feel like this will catapult us from the very bottom to atleast a solid middleground. 

you basically hit the nail on the head. Unholy is still going to outperform frost by a decent margin, its just not going to be monstrous like it was. Frost will move at least for emerald nightmare lower middle of the pack, so maybe 40% percentile in dps. This is simply because there is so much trash and adds in emerald nightmare that frost can cleave to its hearts content. The issue comes down to single target. Obliteration is just too weak in the current incarnation, if it went back to not require frost strike, then it would be a powerful talent and competitive. BOS requires a full build around it which cripples the buffed abilities, and glacial advance is okay, but I think it usually sits around like 5% total damage so not impressive.

So, frost will be viable, however, for deep raid progression the story will be "go learn unholy". So, definetly though, i think frost won't be a raiding spec but will be the mythic + spec, the massive cleave damage, the aoe stuns, that is where frost will shine. Even maybe 5 mana kara raid it will do well for that reason. Unholy requires a bit of build up for aoe and really has no stunning. So, frost will be very good for that.

So i imagine it will play out

raiding - unholy

mythic plus - frost

pvp - either.

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T19P.html

Still at the bottom and not viable for Raids. rip dream

Everything a Frost DK can do, an Unholy still can do better...

But now it seems, that DK as Class isn't viable anymore. For "casual" Raids it still will be fine but for Progress we'll getting benched.

Waiting for Wednesday to take a look at the Logs after the Patch is up :/

Nevertheless i'll stay Frost because: Frost is love, Frost is life, all hail the Frozen Ones! :)

Edited by Pestilencos

5 hours ago, Pestilencos said:

http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T19P.html

Still at the bottom and not viable for Raids. rip dream

Everything a Frost DK can do, an Unholy still can do better...

But now it seems, that DK as Class isn't viable anymore. For "casual" Raids it still will be fine but for Progress we'll getting benched.

Waiting for Wednesday to take a look at the Logs after the Patch is up :/

Nevertheless i'll stay Frost because: Frost is love, Frost is life, all hail the Frozen Ones! :)

those sims are frankly not a reliable source at all. its poorly done patchwork and isn't update frequently at all. the realistic truths will be on the warcraft logs records and that'll take a few days after patch to really get updated. even look at the simcraft talents selected you can tell its not accurate. obliteration is absolute garbage, and even the other talents chosen show a complete lack of rotation knowledge. so while its a fun site, its not very accurate or dependable, their is truth in logs :)

ie don't be too worried, aside from hardcore mythic progression frost will have a place in most raids, you may get a little crap "hurr go unholy" but frost will be able to do okay. in mythic + however frost will do much better and will likely overtake unholy in the value there. aoe stuns, aoe slows, crazy cleave with no build up, its far better for mythic +. mythic + is an alternate gearing route so frost players should be fine :)