FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Impurex

Frost buffs september 23 & viability

Hey guys, I've been playing around with Frost DK after the announced buffs, and I'm curious to know your opinion. The buffs will be applied (in Europe) upcoming Wednesday during maintenance, so the below results are still with the old stats. 

The buffs:

Frost

My stats:

Strength: 22350
Critical Strike: 7461
Haste: 3413
Mastery: 5181
Versa: 2032
Unholy Artifact: 19 - ilvl 875
Frost Artifact: 13 - ilvl 868

Target dummy 5 minute perfect rotation:
Unholy: 223k - All will serve, Pestilent Pustules, Castigator, Soul Reaper
Frost: 172k - Machine gun rotation

Conclusion:
Despite the buffs being quite big, I'm not seeing how it can bridge the gap between the above numbers. Now ofcourse my Frost artifact isn't leveled as much, which will make a difference. I'm not too sure about the stats. Although they have the same priority, I would think that Frost actually benefits more from my high mastery (despite it being bad for both classes) as all of their damage is frost. 

I'll update after the fixes go live with new comparisons, but I feel that I'll still be sticking to Unholy for my main spec. 

What do you guys think? Any scenario's where Frost is going to shine? 

Edited by Impurex

1 hour ago, Impurex said:

Hey guys, I've been playing around with Frost DK after the announced buffs, and I'm curious to know your opinion. The buffs will be applied (in Europe) upcoming Wednesday during maintenance, so the below results are still with the old stats. 

The buffs:

My stats:

Strength: 22350
Critical Strike: 7461
Haste: 3413
Mastery: 5181
Versa: 2032
Unholy Artifact: 19 - ilvl 875
Frost Artifact: 13 - ilvl 868

Target dummy 5 minute perfect rotation:
Unholy: 223k - All will serve, Pestilent Pustules, Castigator, Soul Reaper
Frost: 172k - Machine gun rotation

Conclusion:
Despite the buffs being quite big, I'm not seeing how it can bridge the gap between the above numbers. Now ofcourse my Frost artifact isn't leveled as much, which will make a difference. I'm not too sure about the stats. Although they have the same priority, I would think that Frost actually benefits more from my high mastery (despite it being bad for both classes) as all of their damage is frost. 

I'll update after the fixes go live with new comparisons, but I feel that I'll still be sticking to Unholy for my main spec. 

What do you guys think? Any scenario's where Frost is going to shine? 

Unholy will still beat frost by a decent margin its just frost will now be a viable decision for raiding. Normal and heroic you will be fine but for mythic you will likely have to switch to unholy. however, frost has a very interesting toolkit that unholy does not. that being said I think frost will shine in mythic + dungeons and be the go to spec for them. Frost has snap aoe cleave and great extended cleave but more than that it has amazing aoe stun capability which is the focus on mythic +. Mythic + bosses aren't the issue for time, its the adds, and frost excels in that department even over unholy now because unholy requires a bit of setup and truly doesn't have good crowd control capabilities.

tldr frost is king of mythic +, unholy king of raid.