FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Darksong

Playing Arms, bottom 25% of dps. I need help, please. (Included armory, logs to help decipher the issue)

Dear Fellow Warriors,

I've been playing arms for quite awhile now, and I've not been doing well in raids. On fights like the Dragons, routinely bottom tier of my group's dps.
On Ursoc though, I was 4th. However, my dps seems too far from what others are able to accomplish. (IE, I'm only doing 212k DPS on Ursoc - Normal)

On the Lesser Sparring Partner, i'm only doing about 150k dps. after two minutes-3 minutes of parsing

To help distill the issues with my rotation and take away most of the mechanics, let's use the gear check boss, Ursoc, since it's relatively immobile.

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Darksong/simple

Let's compare two logs. One's mine (ilvl 844 - 212k dps), with someone of similar iLvl (844 368k dps), on the same fight in Normal Ursoc:

My Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YDcMvgnAJpPhXyfK#fight=13&type=damage-done&source=56

Comparison Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/93kqYVwpQv1fA2ag#fight=19&type=damage-done&source=135

Ok, taking out the fact that I don't have a legion pot, and didnt use Pot of the Old War, I seem to be doing very little damage, my MS hits for a lot less, etc.

Taking a look at my damage during Heroic Dragons of Nightmare, is rather depressing. Here I finally managed to buy some flasks, but not to much effect it seems.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T9QJD4LVZHfMzwgP

Let me explain my rotation:

1. Charge
2. Stack Focused Rage to 3 stacks
3. Battle Cry + Colossus Smash + Avatar,

(During Battle Cry)
Hit CS/MS when it pops up, else FR+Hamstring till 3 points, slam if FR already at 3.

(Once out of Battle Cry)
Continue building FR stacks, hit CS and MS when it comes up (even if FR less than 3)

(Once in Execute Range)
Colossus Smash->Execute ->CS->Exe when available.

PS: One question, since I've been focusing on maximising my mastery, my non-CS/shattered Defenses MS has been pathetic, maybe doing 200k damage with 3 FR stacks. Should i be maximising my CS duration (IE: do NOT hit CS again when there's still a few seconds left on the CS duration?)

Thanks in advance for ANY help at all.

The other guy has a tighter rotation in all respects:

0.145 CS cast per second vs 0.122 - a difference of 16%
0.145 Slams cast per second vs 0.039  - a difference of 74% (!)
0.209 MS cast per second vs 0.145 - a difference of 31%

The Slam disparity is huge and points to you not spending rage efficiently. This in turn affects Tactician. You don't have advanced logging for your parse so I can't see resource gains/spending but that's gotta be it. Basically, stop cheesing with Hamstring and use Slam.

The rotation difference probably accounts for about half of your 156k dps difference. The other half seems to be:

1. Fight length. 2:04 vs 4:14. Their heroism uptime is a third, yours is a quarter. Same goes for pots and dps buffs. Notice how his Avatar is up with the pre-pot and initial time warp, and then comes up again for the execute phase, as does the pot.

2. Consumables. You have no Satyr neck, you're not using a competitive potion. Old War and Satyr end up doing 10m damage during the fight, which is 20% of what you did in a fight twice as long.

Hi there Unigolyn,

Thanks for the help and the time you took to read the reports.

So during the Battle Cry, What do you usually do?

I used to make sure i had a 3 FR MS, turn on BC,  and use a macro for FR + Slam, until either CS or MS procced.
However i was told I should just macro FR + Hamstring, in case a CS or MS procced, and I didn't want to waste a GCD on slam.

Now starting to think otherwise. Hamstring of course no longer procs Tactician, but Missing out on Slam damage if CS or MS doesn't proc during the remaining seconds of Battle Cry, seem like such a wasted DPS opportunity, especially when you take into account Blood of Zakajz.

thoughts?

hi, usually top dps wherever i go

playing arms, my opening rotation:

single target: charge, colossus smash>battle cry>spamming MS and WW, got both macroed with Focused rage (#showtooltip Mortal Strike/cast mortal strike /cast focused rage), also spammed hamstring but they changed that today (28.09.16) not proccing tactician.

whenever i get a reset on colossus smash, i use it. You always want to use MS after a CS, or execute depending on the % on the mob youre hitting (because of artifact trait: shattered defenses)

using warbreaker if i dont have CS up, MS coming off CD because i want to get the use of shattered defenses.

aoe rotation: charge>warbreaker>battle cry>bladestorm, after BS i use cleave>whirlwind (with macro for focused rage, MS when i can on targets with CS up.

my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Chipman/simple

Thanks for picking up this analysis guys. Inclined to agree with Unigolyn here.

As for your further questions, I'm not sure, but this bump should help find someone that does know, I hope!

You are making a mistake during Battle Cry.

FR/Hamstring are not on the global cooldown, so you should be spamming that along with Slam, you can do both at the same time, rather than waiting for 3 FR stacks then using slam which is what you are describing.

I've been reading through a lot of these threads lately.  After the recent hot-fixes, Hamstring obviously no longer procs Tactician. Is it still a good idea to keep it macro'd with Focus Rage and Slam for the soul fact of it not being on the GCD? Or not? If not what's the best macro to spam during Battle Cry? I know Darksong asked the same thing in one of the previous posts, I just wanted to clarify.  Currently during BC if CS isn't up (generally I wait for at least a reset before even using BC) I have a macro for FR, HS as well as Slam which I spam for resets. Sorry if I'm kind of thread-jacking but this will probably help others with a straight forward answer. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Daevilmonkie
      Welcome Adventurers! The time has come upon us, FINALLY! The moment in Classic WoW history us diehard, loyal WoW nerds have all been waiting for. WRATH CLASSIC! Arthas Did Nothing Wrong (ADNW) has just begun recruiting (For WotLK Classic) hard-core, casual, rp, pvp, pve, raiders, anything you can think of, you are welcomed here. Although our main focus in ADNW will be progressive raiding, 10 and 25 man and pvp content, we look to have someone for just about anything. Currently we are recruiting for our CORE 10M team composed entirely of irl / internet homies. We are in need of just 1 HEALER (Highly prefer a disc priest with a shadow off spec) and another DPS. Preferably lock or Shadow priest. We are looking to fill our B 10m team entirely, so we can pool together for 25 man’s when it comes time to crush 25m. This guild was founded by a group of tight nit friends recently, who have been around since TBC. WOTLK was our turning point in WoW, and we CANNOT wait to get another crack at this and MAKE IT RIGHT. Come join the adventure of a chill environment full of helpful hands and knowledge. Feel free to reach out to me Via Discord: Daevilmonkiexp#9239 OR Bnet: Daevilmonkie#1280 just let me know you are interested in the guild and we can have a convo! ARTHAS DID NOTHING WRONG!
    • By Terravibe
      About us: We were founded back in Mists of Pandaria with a primary goal to Raid and have fun within a pleasant atmosphere.
      Currently we are rebuilding the guild, due to the big step back of the current state of the game. Our progress at the moment is 3/10 HC and want to go all the way to Sylvanas.
      Raid days: Tuesday & Sunday, 20:00-23:00 ST
      People that we need:
      ·         Easy-going people whose main goal is to achieve AOTC in upcoming raids while having fun without much pressure.
      ·         Regular and systematic players, we do not require attendancy, but we aim to create solid and regular raid team that will improve together over time.
      ·         People who want to improve, learn and get better at the game in friendly and stable environment.
      Roles that we need:
      ·         DPS
      ·         Tank
      Future plans:
      We are aiming to fully clear Heroic.
      Do the Raid achievements.
      Create Social groups for M+ , achievement runs and help alts or mains
      Re-clear the Raid with our alt as well.
    • By Insanity
      <Insanity> are looking for new inmates to expand our asylum...
      Region : EU
      Server : Mirage Raceway
      Faction : Horde
      Raid Times
      Tuesday 19:30 to 23:00 Realm Time
      Thursday 19:30 to 23:00 Realm Time
      Approach to Raiding
      We have a relaxed and chilled approach to raiding, but still expect people to make an effort.
      As long as you don't show up freshly dinged in levelling greens, and make an effort to improve your gear and skills and show up to raids,
      that is all we expect. We are here to enjoy ourselves, not push logs.
      About us
      We are a chilled community who enjoys hanging out in discord while playing the game.
      Karazhan is on farm, we are now looking to bolster our ranks to create a solid reliable 25 man raid team moving forward.
      What We Offer
      A mature environment for levelling and group play
      Progressive but relaxed end game experience
      A fun, helpful and inclusive atmosphere
      What We Expect
      People willing to help build and grow a serious, successful and fun TBC raiding guild. We don’t care about your spec, everyone is welcome. While we are a casual guild, we still expect people to make an effort. Showing up freshly dinged in levelling greens won’t make the raiding experience fun for anyone.
      Our Aims
      Our aims are to clear all the raid content in tbc in a relaxed and fun way. We were close to 25 raiders at 70 and ready to start raiding, but a lot of people quit the game and we are in need of new recruits for our 25-man raid teams. Anyone just interested in chilling in discord and to get to know new people are also welcome.
      Recruitment Status
      Tanks : medium
      Healers : high
      Ranged DPS : high
      Melee DPS : high
      Contact Us
      Feel free to jump on the guild discord and get in touch
      Discord - discord.gg/8c6DW5Su
      Twitter - guild_insanity
      You can also contact an officer in game for further info :
      Vardar
      Mirdog
      Tuugy
      Nerlen
      Mircat
      Thank you for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon
      Insanity
    • By Ehiztari
      Enter Eclipse Apply or maintain your Moonfire, Sunfire, and Stellar Flare (if talented) Keep Celestial Alignment / Incarnation: Chosen of Elune (if talented) on cooldown Cast Convoke the Spirits when you have less than 50 Astral Power. Try to pair with your other cooldowns but do not lose a use. Spend your Astral Power on Starsurge or Starfall on multi-target. Do not lose uses of Warrior of Elune, Force of Nature, or Fury of Elune (if talented). Cast the Eclipse-appropriate filler. Item 3 says to cast Celestial Alignment as a higher priority than (presumably that means before you cast) Convoke the Spirits.
      The subsection on Convoke the Spirits Optimization says "Generally, you will play around your Convoke and not your Celestial Alignment, as you almost never want to cast Celestial Alignment without Convoke up as well."
      I'm not quite understanding how I'm supposed to prioritize Celestial Alignment in my rotation but not generally cast Celestial Alignment without Convoke up.
      Unless Convoke is a special sort of channel, if you actually managed to cast Celestial Alignment during Convoke, wouldn't it interrupt the channeling of Convoke?
      If I am supposed to cast Convoke and then cast Celestial Alignment as it's channeling, shouldn't the rotation guide have those reversed?
      I'm sorry to be a noodge about accuracy here, but either I'm badly misunderstanding what looks like fairly simple instructions or the two elements of the instructions are inconsistent with one another.
    • By jobale
      Guild & Server: Vetus Stulti :Alliance:  EU Quel'thalas (Linked with Azjol-Nerub & Molten Core)
      Raid Times/Days: Wednesdays & Sundays 20:00 - 22:00 Server Time
      Recruitment Contact: Guildmaster Bnet: RebelJo#2687   Discord: jobale#9626
      Raider.io: https://raider.io/guilds/eu/quelthalas/Vetus%20Stulti
      Requirements: Adult only guild. 
      Vetus Stulti is a guild of friendly, mature, experienced players who are looking for social members for M+ groups & fun events as well as dps for progress.
      Progress raid is Sunday evening, social on Wednesday We are now 9/10 HC & all our progress raiders cleared heroic Ny'alotha & BoD in their previous guild, most having curved.
      We regularly run social raids, mythic runs & casual events for transmogs. Mature social players looking to learn dungeon tactics or just chat are very welcome to apply.
      Contact the GM - Tankyjo - Quel'thalas in game or on Discord - jobale3#9626 for a chat if you'd like to join us or fill in the Google form: https://forms.gle/Lw9hrxPwqNrZ489HA