L0rinda

hearthstone Design Team Comment on Health of Hearthstone and Yogg

7 posts in this topic

pOSom9b.jpg

IGN have conducted a very interesting interview with Designers Mike Donais and Dean Ayala regarding the health of Hearthstone at the moment.

The article covers a lot of the questions that have been raised by the community recently. Donais admits there is more Shaman on ladder than he would like right now, but seems comfortable waiting to see if it dies down when players stop experimenting with new builds (Presumably with regards to Spirit Claws). He talks a bit about Priest, and the implication is that Priest will probably be helped in the next set.

He also comments on Yogg-Saron, Hope's End, saying "Yogg-Saron is definitely on our radar." This is probably no real cause for excitement just yet, but it's good to see that they are taking a look. The whole article, in fact, is a reminder of how much the design team are constantly monitoring all kinds of statistics. It is also good that they are aware of which current decks that require high skill caps, as many players believe that Hearthstone needs high skill cap decks to be credible as an esport.

Blizzard LogoIksar  (Dean Ayala)

Yeah, like the Raging Worgen Warrior, Anyfin Paladin, Miracle Rogue, Freeze Mage is still being played, and this Malygos Druid, and all of those decks are very very complex, and all have some amount of success on ladder right now. 

The second half of the article talks in-depth about the how the changes to the Arena were made. As always, it is fascinating to read how the design team reaches their decisions.

Im glad Blizzard actually listens to its users unlike other companies.. Props to you Blizzard

1 person likes this

How much would it impact the usefulness of Yogg if it only played your class' spells? I imagine he'd become even better for some classes, even worse for others?

Maybe even restrict the maximum number of spells he can cast?

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

How much would it impact the usefulness of Yogg if it only played your class' spells? I imagine he'd become even better for some classes, even worse for others?

Maybe even restrict the maximum number of spells he can cast?

I'd like to see him only cast spells up to the amount of mana cast on spells during the game so far. 

A question I would like to ask Hearthstone Research&Development team would probably be "do you put "fun" in "fundamental" (excuse this horrible pun)"

How much do they value a factor of fun? How do they even measure this if they do, and are we put to mercy of their judgment on the subject? 

Is "not fun", "frustrating to play as\against" a relevant argument in some decisions? Because oh boy, they'd definetly showed us they hate fun when Miracle and Patron were nerfed, Kappa.

Perhaps I'm just a fun hater and I'm definetly not a qualified game designer, but when I'm thinking about some things that can be in the game but they aren't : mechanics, interactions, whole dimensions and axises (axi?) of gameplay, maybe it's all left behind because "it ain't fun", and if it so, I'd like to know about it. And the other option is "R&D is stupid" which sucks. 

My opinion is that "fun" should be a secondary factor if you try to brand a game as competitive, even as an E-Sports discipline.

Regarding the actual interview, I didn't like the Priest part and their "trick" explaination. Personally I don't feel like weird stuff is a part of Priest's identity from the original game, i mean, guys have a healing spell called "Heal". And "Great Heal" which heals more. And "Flash Heal" that heals fast. And then there are spells like "Power Word : Shield" or ":Pain" or ":Death", guess what they do, too.

If you position a class like that, like a "trick class", there is no way it's going to work out any way, because when it doesn't, it sucks, and when it does, you nerf it, or it happens like once in a lifetime and it still sucks. Priest should have more basic feel, down-to-earth design, with actual creatures, killing spells and card draws, because that's what Hearthstone at its Heart is all about, and as I explained, Priest is a pretty "basic" class for what it's worth. Well, it used to be.

Just look at the other "Trick Class", Rogue. They are actually viable, because their tricks are "normal" - as much as "normal" can a turn 3 10\10 Van Cleef be, he is still just a big dumb beater, and so on.

Dragon Priest was a good shot. Even a LoE Control Priest felt like a normal deck. If they stop messing around and put on their thinking caps, we can have a game with 9 classes but without the 9th class. And that would be great.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, L0rinda said:

I'd like to see him only cast spells up to the amount of mana cast on spells during the game so far. 

This was more along the lines of what I meant. Something that stops those super cheap druid spells turning into something worth 15-20 times the mana.