Vandexel

MM- Vulnerable + Aimed or Windburst

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I was just wondering because the rotation guide is a little unclear on icy veins. In the first rotation it says cast aimed shot if you can complete it before vulnerable wears off, and then cast windburst otherwise. But a little farther down it says to cast windburst on cooldown and then it says cast aimed shot when vulnerable is active. Should I prioritize windburst over an aimed shot + vulnerable?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a rotation, it's a priority list. "On cooldown" here means "when nothing of higher priority is available".

Basically, you get the most out of Aimed Shot and Marked Shot you can, and when you can't cast any of them anymore into Vulnerability - that's when you use Windburst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so just to confirm, when i have windburst ready to use but instead i can use an aimed shot while the target is vulnerable, i should use that?

But for something like barrage, I'll want to use that even if i can aimed+vulnerable because its higher priority?

 

 

 

Edited by Vandexel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandexel said:

Ok, so just to confirm, when i have windburst ready to use but instead i can use an aimed shot while the target is vulnerable, i should use that?

But for something like barrage, I'll want to use that even if i can aimed+vulnerable because its higher priority?

 

 

 

You skipped over the part " but ultimately quite a bit worse, way to think about executing the rotation. It is, however, a good starting point."

Ultimately you want vulnerability with as many Aim shots and marked targets as you can squeeze into that cycle. Playing this style will give you down time where your waiting for a Marking targets proc, during this period I cast barrage if I have the foucs or Side winders to get  vulnerability from a trait on our weapon and cast more Aim shots. 

 

Example for me is: 

Opener: > 1sec early Windburst> True shot> Barrage> SW>MS>SW>MS> Aim shot till out of focus> SW>AS twice (or 3-4 if I have LNL proc)>MS>SW( if you popped hero at start) Aim shot twice or 3-4 from LNL>MS>Aim shot till out of focus>

Normal play: At this point my play style above applies.. Windburst for a vul debuff ( cause your out of focus) > Aim shot again till I get a marking target proc, if I don't then I barrage and just wait till I hit 2 Sidewinders or proc. 

Edited by GeorgeSuarez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandexel said:

Ok, so just to confirm, when i have windburst ready to use but instead i can use an aimed shot while the target is vulnerable, i should use that?

But for something like barrage, I'll want to use that even if i can aimed+vulnerable because its higher priority?

Yes to both.

Though in second case it's a bit more situational. In pure single target patchwerk situation, yes, you want to use Barrage on cooldown as highest priority, unless it causes you to lose an opportunity to cast Marked Shot into Vulnerable.

In more realistic raiding scenario, you may want to save Barrage if a wave of adds will spawn in a few seconds.

Or you may want to delay Barrage for a couple of seconds if you can stand still and cast Aimed Shot now, but you will need to move in a few seconds. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iridar said:

Yes to both.

Though in second case it's a bit more situational. In pure single target patchwerk situation, yes, you want to use Barrage on cooldown as highest priority, unless it causes you to lose an opportunity to cast Marked Shot into Vulnerable.

In more realistic raiding scenario, you may want to save Barrage if a wave of adds will spawn in a few seconds.

Or you may want to delay Barrage for a couple of seconds if you can stand still and cast Aimed Shot now, but you will need to move in a few seconds. 

 

Perfect, makes sense. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the damage Windburst does for its execute time and focus cost after the buff (and even before) it is a loss to delay it. Having to use it as a Vulnerable uptime bandaid means you are not doing your shit properly or had to move for an excessive amount of time, in which case it could be a dps gain in spite of a larger dps loss, but still a loss. We were doing this PS/SW build before we had access to WB and it is entirely possible to not have to rely on WB for it. Besides, using it on cd will almost always be extending your Vuln window well beyond what you even need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Thejazz said:

With the damage Windburst does for its execute time and focus cost after the buff (and even before) it is a loss to delay it. Having to use it as a Vulnerable uptime bandaid means you are not doing your shit properly or had to move for an excessive amount of time, in which case it could be a dps gain in spite of a larger dps loss, but still a loss. We were doing this PS/SW build before we had access to WB and it is entirely possible to not have to rely on WB for it. Besides, using it on cd will almost always be extending your Vuln window well beyond what you even need.

Ran a sim, there seems to be a DPS boost by using Windburst on highest priority after Barrage, but the DPS advantage is so tiny that it's within the error.

Dk919Xv.jpg

I guess WIndburst is worth using whenever you can stand still for a moment.

 

Edited by Iridar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Lor
      Sindorei Council, a family-friendly and socially active guild has been active since 7/24/2007 (BC drop), currently 7/7 (H)EN, 2/3 (H)ToV, and 5/10 NH.  Seeking DPS (notably ranged) for completion of Heroic and preparation to move on Nighthold.  
      We are not a hardcore progression guild - have never been and don't seek to create that atmosphere.  We are an incredibly welcoming social guild with a core raid component of very skilled players who have enough real-life going on that one night/week (occasionally 2) is what we push for.   We've reached our current raid progression on essentially one night/week. 
      Are you a good fit?  If you enjoy playing your class very well, are reliable to be on at the given time(s), yearn for a fun PG atmosphere in Gchat and Discord with mostly adults, and feel like one (occasionally 2) night per week is ideal for the time you want to put into raiding then we may be a good fit for you.  We help others get better and push people to have fun in guild, raiding or not ( be it through Questing, M+, WQ's, Roics, Pet Battles, etc.). We know our members' backstories and strive to make our guild a family.  Very active FB page and Discord.  
      Schedule:   Current main core raid night is Thursday from 7:30 EST - 10:30 EST (Bloodhoof Server time).  Sunday nights are an alternative night for us.
      Progress:  7/7 (H)EN, 2/3 (H)ToV, 5/10 NH
      Loot:  All Personal - hand down to people who need 
      NEEDS: 
      - Ele Shaman
      - Mage (Fire or Frost)
      - SPriest
      - Boomkin
      - Hunter
      - Arms Warrior w/ Prot offspec (another skilled dps that is comfortable off spec as Tank works well also (Feral/Guardian, WW/BM, etc.)
      Interested?:
      BTAG: Lorienawk#1319 or Mango#1525.  
      Thanks and Happy Hunting!
    • By Alst3r
      Hello hunters,
      i nees some help with the marksmanship rotation. I'm trying to follow the guide of azortharion
       
      In no-proc periods:  Arcane Shot until 95 Focus, then  Aimed Shot to not Focus cap and repeat. If  Windburst becomes available during one of these periods, use it immediately and generate focus with Arcane Shot afterwards. Then, towards the end of the  Vulnerable window, cast the 2 Aimed Shots with roughly 4 seconds remaining on  Vulnerable. When you get a proc: →  Marked Shot → Keep Cast  Arcane Shot once (twice with extremely high Haste) so that there is only ~4 seconds remaining on Vulnerable → 2x  Aimed Shots.  
      But i really have some diffcult. Usually i'm doing this:
      - If vulnerable is down: cast windurst if is up or marked shot -> 1x arcane shot -> 2x aimed shot
      But really, i never have enough focus to do this and a lot of time i can cast only 1 aimed shot.
       
      I dont understand.
    • By stormcaster
      Union is an Alliance guild on Uldum (PVE server) - I will keep this short. We are looking to add two ranged dps to our core mythic team. We would prefer a hunter/shadow priest/boomkin. We are currently 9/10 Heroic in Nighthold after 2 nights of heroic raiding. We were 7/7M in EN and 2/3M in ToV. We raid:

      Tuesday - 8-11 EST
      Thursday - 8-11 EST
      Sunday 7-11 EST

      We recruit players that have a good attitude, have high dps and are good with mechanics and movement. 

      If interested, add me on btag: Stormcaster#1629
    • By Kennedie
      I'm looking for some xmog ideas to go with http://www.wowhead.com/item=137516
      Preferably fur. 
      Thanks!