FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Everth

Startattack macro

Hi guys, sorry to ask but haven't found anything similar on this forum!
I've tried to do /startattack /cast spell macros but the autoattack only starts after the ability ends. This bothers me more than it should cause i have to right click every single target if i dont want to miss that juicy marking targets proc. So far i've tried

/cast Auto Attack
/startattack
/cast Barrage
/startattack
/cast Barrage
/startattack
/stopcasting
/cast Barrage
/targetenemy
/startattack
/cast Barrage
/startattack
/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [talent:6/2] Barrage
/startattack
/cast [nochanneling] Barrage

In all these cases the macro starts off with barrage and then after the channel begins autoattacking (i've verified using a swing addon i desperately tried to find).

The same thing applies, with more consequences, with Sidewinders. Might it be cause they are "talent" spells and not normal ones? Is this a bug? How do you behave? Thank you in advance

Edited by Everth

You could use a /castsequence macro, but it'll be unreliable and require 2 presses. It's also easy to mess up and prone to instead disable autoattack in the middle of the combat.

If you're trying to make an opener macro, you could just add "Auto Shot" as the first spell before Barrage. But I don't think you can make a general-purpose Barrage macro with autoattack.

Either way, it's not worth worrying about. It's just a tiny extra bit of damage that's going to be inconsequential in 99.999% of cases, even if it procs L'n'L.

Edited by Iridar

27 minutes ago, Everth said:

Would it be worth (and legit) to make a hardware macro on keyboard instead? In short trash fights it kinda matters in my opinion

I got it!

#showtooltip Barrage
/cast !Auto Shot
/cast Barrage

This macro does exactly what you want, in one keypress. Thanks for motivating me to make it, gonna enjoy using it myself :)

The exclamation mark is where all the magic happens, it makes sure that Auto Shot can only be turned on, but not turned off. Kinda the same thing we used to do with our Aspects when stancedancing in Cataclysm / MoP.

Edited by Iridar

Hey, thanks! Your macro actually works for Barrage in the form you posted, but e.g. does not work if I use the conditional for barrage/AMoC and doesn't proc marking targets istantly as i hoped if you open with sidewinders (which you shouldn't anyways,but that's not the problem..)
Have you been able to fix them too? 
(Little edit: Not like a macro is needed for AMoC with it being instant and the auto being off the GCD but would have been nice to have the same button on the bar) (I'm stil trying in dummies with !Auto attack and not getting the insta proc of marking targets on the targets regardless of the distance)

Not working:
#showtooltip [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [talent:6/2] Barrage
/cast !Auto Attack
/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [nochanneling] [talent:6/2] Barrage

Edited by Everth

15 minutes ago, Everth said:

Hey, thanks! Your macro actually works for Barrage in the form you posted, but e.g. does not work if I use the conditional for barrage/AMoC and doesn't proc marking targets istantly as i hoped if you open with sidewinders (which you shouldn't anyways,but that's not the problem..)
Have you been able to fix them too? 
(Little edit: Not like a macro is needed for AMoC with it being instant and the auto being off the GCD but would have been nice to have the same button on the bar) (I'm stil trying in dummies with !Auto attack and not getting the insta proc of marking targets on the targets regardless of the distance)

Not working:
/cast !Auto Attack
/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [nochanneling] [talent:6/2] Barrage

Well I just instantly procced Marking Targets with my macro, so either you were unlucky, or I you're talking about something else.

Your macro doesn't work because of "nochanneling" condition. 

When you list each condition in its own brackets, it becomes "OR".

/cast [nochanneling][talent: 6/2] Barrage

This will try to cast Barrage if 6/2 talent learned OR you're not channeling a cast already.

If you want several conditions apply to one action, you separate them with commas, not brackets:

/cast [nochanneling, talent: 6/2] Barrage

This will work:

Not working:
/cast !Auto Attack
/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [nochanneling, talent:6/2] Barrage

I can provide a video! (not embedded cause it takes too much space)
https://youtu.be/4KrQYJOoeRM

Basically the first macro you provided (with no conditionals) is working, the last one isn't and if the auto casted before sidewinders procs marking targets , sidewinders won't expend it instantly

15 minutes ago, Everth said:

I can provide a video! (not embedded cause it takes too much space)
https://youtu.be/4KrQYJOoeRM

Basically the first macro you provided (with no conditionals) is working, the last one isn't and if the auto casted before sidewinders procs marking targets , sidewinders won't expend it instantly

Didn't realize we were talking about Sidewinders macro. 

Second macro (with talent conditionals) doesn't work because I made a typo. Sorry, I messed up during translation, I play on Russian locale, so all spells are named differently for me. 

It's supposed to be:

/cast !Auto Shot 

not

/cast !Auto Attack

So final version is:

/cast !Auto Shot
/cast [talent:6/1] A Murder of Crows; [nochanneling, talent:6/2] Barrage

Sidewinders macro doesn't work for the same reason. Replace Auto Attack with Auto Shot and you're gonna be  golden.

Edited by Iridar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Everth said:

It now works in both cases! Thank you Iridar!

Glad we figured it out :) Both macros are actually pretty useful and should be used by default by everyone, so props to you for coming up with the idea. I'll see if Azor would be willing to include them into his Hunter guide.

Edited by Iridar

@Iridar

Just want to thank you for being such a knowledgeable and positive presence on these forums.  Really like how you do your best to show the rest of us how to better our play from your simc tutorial to working on this macro.  A high tide raises all ships.  You are truly a gentleman and scholar.

Cheers :)

Just now, Liastraza said:

@Iridar

Just want to thank you for being such a knowledgeable and positive presence on these forums.  Really like how you do your best to show the rest of us how to better our play from your simc tutorial to working on this macro.  A high tide raises all ships.  You are truly a gentleman and scholar.

Cheers :)

Thanks shy.gif

I'm just an overly educated guy with too much time on his hands.