FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
vaeevictiss

Told i need to step up my DPS

So after our raid yesterday our GM said i need to step up my DPS and im not sure what else i need to do. Ill get the links out of the way first.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Vaeevictiss/simple

Artifact so far (the relics arent the exact item level, but i jsut put them in to show the talent they provide): http://www.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/warlock/destruction/KAV5Imch_1IZFCJ90yMBMkAzJQQycDMoBDKQEysDMsAzLgEzABMxAVSwEA

personal ranking on warcraftlogs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/278702/latest/

I died early on our dragons kill so that screwed me but i was sitting at 2nd when i died so that would have been a nice ranking. Spider boss i just simply had no idea what the hell was going on. it got real chaotic but im sure we'll clean it up. My Normal clear logs from last week looked real good except from spider boss where i died. I think a lot of it is just learning the Heroic stuff and having to move more. 

our logs from this weekend: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hVDZBHANK9aRtM1p and https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/P7N2QCkzqRbr86HX#type=damage-taken&fight=5

The big they they were complaining about is how our one lock who is a couple ilevels lower than me was doing so much more damage on the heart of ilg than i was: 

his: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/P7N2QCkzqRbr86HX#fight=16&type=damage-done&target=132&source=29

mine: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/P7N2QCkzqRbr86HX#fight=16&type=damage-done&target=132&source=16

From the looks of it he went and got lord of flames (which i suppose i should have done) and he has a nice trinket. Ive been so damn unlucky on trinkets as you can see. This alone seemed to add 3.2m to his damage. and he was only 3m ahead. i ended up swapping from Wreak Havoc to Soul Conduit the last couple attempts because it wasnt helping the heart damage and we were doing the 1 phase zerg method. 

So i also told our GM that after our 12 Cenarius wipes, i had top damage overall:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/P7N2QCkzqRbr86HX#type=summary&boss=1877&wipes=1

So im not really sure what else to do here aside from respeccing my artifact but thats a shit load of wasted AP, or getting a better trinket which has yet to happen. I feel im playing correctly regarding when and when not to cast things.

The biggest things I see right off the bat is you need to switch grimoire of service to grimoire of sacrifice. Comparing your log and the one of mine (847 ilvl). I would link the logs but they are set to private;

Using your in-fight time, you were attacking for 4:48 -- Your grimoire did 3.98m damage, and you cast chaos bolt 31 times;

My in-fight time was 3:49 -- My grimoire did 9.68m damage, and I cast chaos bolt 28 times.

I am still re-learning my lock but you should give sacrifice a try and try to cast more often.. I'm not sure how you only had 3 more casts of chaos over a minute but that is a major source. Assuming my fight went a minute longer I would have gotten off another ~7 chaos which for my gear level is 5.32m damage, even higher for your gear as your average chaos bolt was 105k damage more than mine.

ill give it a try but it seems most people are using service. should sac be used for all occasions?

and are you only casting CB when you hit 4+ shards? the first week i was just throwing them out as i had shards. the next week i tried waiting till i had 4+ and that seemed to help my DPS as eradication was up longer (wasnt overlapping eradication).

Edited by vaeevictiss

Hey man, not a superb theorycrafter so take these advice w a pinch of salt. 

1. Take GriSac for fights with adds stacked up together, GriServ for ST fights. (fyi GriSac is SUPER awesome for heart boss, was my third highest source of damage for that fight)

2. For Heart boss, I'd take Havoc, works great with cleaving tentacles and adds, you can. basically keep it up all the time. I try to save up 4 shards for when at least two adds spawn which will survive long enough for Havoc + 2 Cleaves CBs. (you'll need to adjust this accordingly depending on your raid's dps) - you should reach at least 230k easily. 

3. from what i see the only two fights you get GriSer over GriSav are Nyth and Ursoc.

Edited by Bitemeplease

1) You massively messed up your traits, he did not. Not having Impish Incineration, Burning Hunger, and Lord of Flames is hurting you badly.

2) Your trinkets suck, his doesn't. Not much you can do about that just a fact of life.

3) Damage on the heart really isn't very far off between you two, 19mil Vs. 16mil is not a huge difference and considering his better traits and better trinket, it isn't surprising in the least. For your guild to be mad about it shows their inability to read logs effectively.

4)

On 10/3/2016 at 6:40 AM, vaeevictiss said:

So i also told our GM that after our 12 Cenarius wipes, i had top damage overall:

That...doesn't mean anything. Like...at all. Never use that as a metric for anything. Ever.

5) I've looked at 5 or 6 fights of yours and the biggest issues I'm seeing is your talents and your uptimes. Take Dragons for example, 87% uptime on Havoc is REALLY low. My uptime this week was about 98%. You also used GoServ, really not the best pick. GoSac is amazing on that fight, your GoServ did 4mil and my GoSac did 9mil...and my damage was all effed up because one of my tanks went full retard and got half the raid sleeped. So even with doing no damage for 30 seconds, my GoSac did 5mil more than your GoServ.

I highly recommend that you look at WCL for each fight and see what talents people are using in the top 20 or so parses, this will give you a much better idea of what to take for each fight.

Locky, I'm having trouble having high Havoc uptime on Dragons. Perhaps a silly question. I haven't done the fight much. But can you describe where it is you are in relation to the dragons such that you can put havoc up that much and not get nailed by the debuff? My positioning is clearly wrong.

Range on the debuff is 45yards, range on Havoc is 40yards. I bank 2 instant casts and just run over 6 yards while poping conflag or rift, apply havoc, and run back.

Ah ok sorry, my stupidity will continue....So, regarding where you're standing, are you looking at both dragons, standing back, one on right, one on left, and closer to one rather than the other, and then moving toward one for a brief moment to apply havoc? I've only stepped into the fight twice and had my back to one dragon, making it rather awkward to apply havoc quickly.

I think I also need something that indicates range better. I often don't know how far I am away from the "havoc dragon". I think i'm moving way too far away and it's forcing me to run too far. Any suggestions to get me at 46yrd away from dragon?

Bossblueprint isn't updated for legion yet so I had to use a map from Firelands, but the room is basically the same for both bosses.

Skull is a dragon, Cross is a dragon.

Grops are the two crossed swords.

I stand where Star is.

0kXVwkrHX.jpg

For range there are addons that tell you a general range, sadly there isn't an addon that can tell you that you are exactly X yards away from something. I don't use one of those though, I just eye ball it. If my Havoc can hit the second dragon Im way to close and I run away a few yards after it goes dark.