FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Krysiz

Hunter leveling BM Vs MM

Hi all,

I just started playing again, career hunter player.

I read the guides and started leveling 100-110 as a MM hunter but admittedly am a bit confused.

The leveling guide says to run MM because, among other reasons, the healing synergy w/ the artifact allows you to to have to worry little about health. I found this to be true, I got to 103 in my first day back and health was never really a concern.

Due to the nature of the Marksmanship artifact, it is recommended to level as Marksmanship. Whenever you kill an enemy, the cooldown of Exhilaration is reduced by 30 seconds, which allows you to use Exhilaration almost constantly when leveling, and even more so when you make larger pulls. This makes Marksmanship an incredible leveling spec.

It is, with the right amount of traits (13 traits and up), better for almost all Mythic+ content due to its high AoE damage and consistency. It is also generally considered a better spec for outdoor world content (such as world quests). Thus it is recommended for serious raiders to put about 13 traits into the Beast Mastery artifact, before focusing on getting the Marksmanship artifact leveled up. You can perform these steps in any order.

Those two quotes from the leveling guide and BM guide respectively are what confused me. It clearly states MM is the best to level with due to Exhilaration. But then says BM is better for all mythic content and also for outdoor world content (which leveling/questing is outdoor world content is it not?)

Since I will likely be doing more world content and dungeons -> mythic than I will be doing full raids, it seems like BM is the better option for a w hile. It seems a bit conflicting.

Should add that from a personal playstyle perspective it doesn't matter to me at all. I played hunter A LOT and while the entire skill system is completely different, it was like riding a bike as far as logging in after not playing since WoTLK. 

Should I level as MM and save artifact consumables for my BM artifact so when I hit 110 I can level it up quickly?

Is leveling the artifact easy enough when you hit 110 that I should not worry about it at all and just do MM to level?

Should I use BM for leveling until I get the 12 point artifact bonus then switch back to MM?

Thanks

Edited by Krysiz

"Outdoor content" mostly refers to world quests.

I leveled up as MM, but switched to BM for world quests, since it's simply more convenient - your pet does all the work while you can run and pick up items or loot corpses. 

No reason to save artifact power consumables, your artifact power level depends more on artifact research in the class hall.

Ah, I thought artifacts leveled up from piles of artifact power applied to it.

Played level 103-104 as BM and it feels like an easier leveling setup - although not really a huge difference. Definitely a simplicity improvement not having to juggle a rotation and being able to move more freely is always nice. 

Sounds like there isn't a giant reason to do one over the other whereas in older playstyles you always leveled as BM. 

5 hours ago, Krysiz said:

Ah, I thought artifacts leveled up from piles of artifact power applied to it.

They do, but you get very limited amounts of AP while leveling. In the meantime, the cost of upgrading increases in geometrical proportion, and eventually you won't have enough AP for the next trait even if you'd play for 3 years. So to level all artifacts ASAP, the best thing you can do is to get to 110 and get the artifact research rolling, which will multiply all AP you spend.

It only affects newly looted AP, so it's not worth accumulating powerups in a bank or something.

5 hours ago, Krysiz said:

Sounds like there isn't a giant reason to do one over the other whereas in older playstyles you always leveled as BM.

MM still has more direct damage, and it helps leveling where you do need to kill monsters. You can still misdirect tons of mobs to your pet and kill them all with Barrage + Trueshot burst. Due to Exhiliration getting reset with kills, you can kite out a nearly unlimited amount of mobs at a time. 

Up to you, really. I leveled as MM because I wanted to play as MM and personal pleasure was more important than leveling speed, so I took my sweet time.