FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Thazi

[Fire] Help me better myself!

• the link to your character's armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/perenolde/Thazi/advanced
  •  
  • a combatlog of the encounter(s) where you feel you are under-performing https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/1LvzfCgp3h8x7a9w#type=damage-done&fight=5
  •  
  • the rotation you are using.  Using Icy Veins Priority list.  I start encounters by placing a RoP down then immediate combusting and going into a x2 Fireballs to proc a Pyro, then FB > Pyro > FB >Pyro > Flame On > FB > Pyro > FB > Pyro.  I only use the last 2 FB/Pyro if I have the time on Combustion, which sometimes I don't.  Due to server lag it sometimes doesn't give me a proc for Hot Streak for some reason even though I'm in Combustion.  After Combustion is over, I go into normal Pryo Fishing.  I Fireball until hotstreak, I FB or PF if PF has at least 2 charges and my Combustion is still a long ways off, With the hotstreak pyro in queue, I fireball then unleash the instant pyro fishing for another proc.  Rinse repeat.  I use RoP on cooldown but try to keep the CD aligned with Combustion.  If I know combustion is coming off CD soon, I keep a RoP on standby.  I try to use Flame On on cooldown, but again I try to manage that to stay up for when Combustion is on.

That being said, I feel like I am underpowered somewhat.  While I typically, most of the time score top DPS in our raid, I know we aren't the best and I also know I'm not the best.  My DPS is mediocre and I wish to improve.  I've been looking and looking for ways to improve but it's coming up short.

Currently pre-potting isn't viable for me.  Mats/Pots on my server are astronomically high.  I know by pre-potting I could increase my DPS by a bit, but I doubt that is causing the major decrease in damage.  Also, our pulls sometimes (more than not) don't allow me to pre-cast Pyro.  One tank or another usually accidentally pulls prior to the countdown timer expiring, where they may be at 5 seconds, I'm about to cast Pyro and the pull happens and I have to suddenly change positions or move because of a mechanic that otherwise I could have gotten the cast off first.

I use 300 crit food, no one I know has level 2 or higher of the 375 crit food unfortunately.

I currently sit at 56% crit with the food buff.

I recently replaced http://www.wowhead.com/item=137349&bonus=1502:1727 with http://www.wowhead.com/item=139326&bonus=3379 to gain that big increase in crit.

Simulations show that I should be able to pull off an average of 291,765.2 DPS.  I'm having a hard time averaging 210~240k.

Edit:

I know this is an easy fight with little movement in comparison.  This is why I used it as a base line.  If I can improve on this fight, I can improve elsewhere.  I can also link other fights if need be.

Edited by Thazi

You should not castake fireball during combustion. You want to get hot streak then do a combustion combo. Save flame on and rune and a couple phoenix for combustion. Your crit stat is good, and if you are doing it proper while combustionis down (fire ball until hearing up, fire blast, fireball followed by an immediate pyro, and repeat the process depending on if you get heating or hot streak) you'll do just fine

Your combustion rotation must be precise though in order to maintain a high dps in addition to consistent pyros outside of it

4 hours ago, Woofikins said:

You should not castake fireball during combustion. You want to get hot streak then do a combustion combo. Save flame on and rune and a couple phoenix for combustion. Your crit stat is good, and if you are doing it proper while combustionis down (fire ball until hearing up, fire blast, fireball followed by an immediate pyro, and repeat the process depending on if you get heating or hot streak) you'll do just fine

Your combustion rotation must be precise though in order to maintain a high dps in addition to consistent pyros outside of it

So basically the only thing I'm screwing up is I am wasting Combustion time atm?  I need to just fireball until I heat up, combustion, use a scorch, pyro > FB >pryo > FB >Flame on > FB >Pyro > FB > pyro > PF > Pyro > PF > pyro?

I couldn't see your logs on mobile. But no the rotation is to fireball until you are on a hot streak. Then rune> combustion>pyro>fb chain it with flame on>phoenix>pyro until you can't fit in another spell as combustion ends. Using a greater draenic flask and 225 food and 443 ilvl my initial burst is around 690k dps. From there you need to get consistent fireball>pyros off. That's fireball until heating up, fire blast to proc hot streak, fireball followed by an immediate pyro.  All this info is in the guide! :)

I have researched and spoken to some other players and came up with what issues I had.  I am now pulling fairly normal damage for mages in my gear range and content.  I can always improve, but pretty much know exactly what I was doing wrong and that is now fixed! 

Thanks!

On 16-10-2016 at 5:34 AM, Thazi said:

I have researched and spoken to some other players and came up with what issues I had.  I am now pulling fairly normal damage for mages in my gear range and content.  I can always improve, but pretty much know exactly what I was doing wrong and that is now fixed! 

Thanks!

So what did you wrong then can you explain?

5 hours ago, Skinxz said:

So what did you wrong then can you explain?

Not leading a Combustion phase with an already queued Hot Streak Pyro.  Pre-pots.