FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
dmc

Need help with my Prot (Mythic+ content)

Hello guys,

I am currently playing my Paladin as Prot for Mythic+ content only, since iam not interested in raids at all.

Already in normal Mythic, latest in Mythic+2/3 I feel like I am taking way too much damage (compared to other tank classes) and I am wondering if it's just the class or if it's me.

I read all the guides, including the one available here on Icy veins.

This is pretty much what I try to do:

- Always stand in Consecration (and keep it up 100% of the time)

- Never have 3 Charges of Shield of the Righteous, always try to keep at least 1

- Use "big" cooldowns for larger trash pack pulls pre-emptively

- Use Hand of the Protector at around 50%sh, not too early

- Use blessed Hammer every other GCD

Am I missing anything rotation-wise?

For my gear, I try to get as much Versatility as I can get. Versatility > Haste > Mastery >= Crit, even though a lot of my gear has "random" stats because Itemlevel upgrade.

Here is the link to my profile: 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/eredar/Joilé/simple

P.S: I have a prot warrior alt on itemlevel 824 and tanking mythics with him feels a lot easier...but I really don't like the style of warriors currently (Spam revenge, hope for proccs, duhh) so Iam hoping to improve with my paladin so I can keep playing him.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys!

Hi dmc ,

Looks like you got some nice gear, you should be doing fine in mythig 5+ . 

I think you should change the talents a bit , as you can see here http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#bZa!1120010 

For lvl 30 , Bastion of Light is one of the best CDs and will help you to keep Shield of Righteus buff up all the time - this should be the best choice. 

For lvl 90 talent , Judgement of Light is hands down the best choice you can get. 

For lvl 100 talent , you can choose between Serpahim (dps increase , more that survivability ), my choice here is Righteous Protector so you can use more often the Hand of Protector heal (goes well with Bastion of light and Hand of the protector talents)

Also in artefact try getting the Bulwark of Order - you will get so much absorbs in dungeons when mutiple targets .

And main stat for you should be haste , it trims down the cds and you will be able to keep shield of righteous 100% uptime and Versatility (as much as you feel comfortable)

I think all of the above combined should help you mittigate a bit more dmg, and become more stable during mythic+ dungeons

Hope this helps.

Edited by mariuslars

49 minutes ago, mariuslars said:

Hi dmc ,

Looks like you got some nice gear, you should be doing fine in mythig 5+ . 

I think you should change the talents a bit , as you can see here http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#bZa!1120010 

For lvl 30 , Bastion of Light is one of the best CDs and will help you to keep Shield of Righteus buff up all the time - this should be the best choice. 

For lvl 90 talent , Judgement of Light is hands down the best choice you can get. 

For lvl 100 talent , you can choose between Serpahim (dps increase , more that survivability ), my choice here is Righteous Protector so you can use more often the Hand of Protector heal (goes well with Bastion of light and Hand of the protector talents)

Also in artefact try getting the Bulwark of Order - you will get so much absorbs in dungeons when mutiple targets .

And main stat for you should be haste , it trims down the cds and you will be able to keep shield of righteous 100% uptime and Versatility (as much as you feel comfortable)

I think all of the above combined should help you mittigate a bit more dmg, and become more stable during mythic+ dungeons

Hope this helps.

As a high level Mythic+ and heroic raider I second this 

haste all the way!

self heals for days

Hi DMC,

So far I've done up to +11 (within the time limit) and I'd definitely recommend the talents I use:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#bZa!1121112

For your level 100 talent I find last defender to be the best choice by far; the damage buff you get while doing a big pull outweighs what you gain with seraphim or righteous protector, as for the extra healing from righteous protector (from reduced CD on light of the protector) shouldn't be needed, you shouldn't be taking huge spikes of damage more than every 12 seconds - also the damage reduction from last defending while doing a large pull will outweigh the extra healing anyway.

I find Cavalier and Knight Templar(for the level 60 and 75 talents) are far better than any alternative; the movement benefit is just too great when playing against the clock in a Mythic+. Not to mention the fact it gives you a 20% damage reduction on a 22.5s cooldown!

As always, for prot.pala haste is your best stat; you really want to aim for haste in every gear slot you have untill around 25%+

Good luck with your Mythic+ :)

Edited by AndyP
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

first of all, sorry for not replying to my own post, I honestly forgot about it because I didn't receive any repsonse in the first 2-3 days.

Second of all, big thanks for your answers :)

In the meantime I have learned a lot about how to play prot paladin, either by reading more info all over the forums or simply by playing.

I've been doing a couple of 5-7+ mythic dungeons by now, without any major issues. +2/3 3 chest runs are not a problem either.

The main reason for the high damage intake was the missing Bulwark of Order and my low haste.

Since I have moved from Versatility > Haste > Crit > Mastery to Haste > Crit > Mastery = Versatility Iam doing A LOT better.

Anyway, I really hope this thread helps other Prot Palas to get a better understand of this great spec :)

Cheers!

Haste is obviously your best friend, but i wouldn't put versa so low on the priority, given that it's the only way to improve the percentage heals from your LotP. Currently, if you're going for crafted gear I would heavily favor either impatient (pure haste) or aurora (haste/vers). I started dropping crit (and some mastery) in favor of vers, and it did wonders for damage smoothening.

As for the Talents, i really recoment Hand of the Protector.
- better movement does not help if your group can't catch up
- the 20% dmg reduce is... not that great imo, because it is on GCD. You could just cast a blessed hammer instead, which has almost the same effect (maybe not on fast hitting mobs, but they are rare)
- more frequent heals (will propably out hps the 20% dmg reduce anyway)
- you can save your mates asses, THATS AWESOME DUDE!

For Prio:
I agree with Aegis.. put vers higher on your list. Buf if you loose haste for it... stick with your haste ofc :-)

Edited by Lev