FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Actanon

MW : Why mastery isn't good?

Hi ! 

I'm a healer since a couple of days, and have a LOT of mastery, i'm level up so that's not really a problem, but i'd like to know why mastery is the worst stat at lvl 110? I mean, from personnal view (that involves me and only me), Mastery>Haste>Crit=Versality, cause i don't like aléa things, and versality needs too much for be fine, but that's only my opinion on this, so please, tell me why, i'm lvl 104, i have no problem with mana nor keep the group in life with a ton of mastery

Thanks

Actanon

Hi, Actanon. First, sorry for my bad english, I'm Brazilian, then if I make some mistake forgive me.

On my personal experience raiding with a MW I can say: as you I'm using Intellect->Mastery->Haste->Critical=Versatility as stat priority. When I test it at normal Emerald Nightmare bosses Nytendra and Ursoc I prove: that's a matter of playstyle and Talents choices.

An clan mate is a MW Monk too and uses the stat priority Intellect->Critical->Haste->Mastery=Versatility and an talent build similar that's Icy Veins tells it's the "best to Raiding". He's artifact is +4ilvl over mine and the overall ilvl is 7+. On the fights  above my Addon Skada registered an less than 2% diference between total healing in both fights.

What I can say is: it's not the first time that I found a build in Icy Veins (some of them copy-pasted on other websites) and get good results with another one just analysing my MW and testing the HPS with different equipment sets. The main question is: which Talents, Skills and items would be the best combo with your preffered stat priority?

Hi, thanks for the answer

Don't worry about your english, it's better than mine, i'm French, by the way ^^

For the talents, i'm trying Chi'ji/Focused thunder, but i'm not fine with the cooldown, i think RJW is better for healing everybody, and cast 2 vivify mana-free with thunder tea. RJW => Essence font => Tea=>Vivify. It spend like 10% mana for put everybody full life, and cast revival if it's not enough/finish with some effusion with mastery proc*2 if there is still time

I saw that yesterday : Versatility seems to affect our mastery healing, i'll try to have some for see if that could be interesting to do Mastery>Versatility>Haste>Critical

Actanon

Last update, found my way : Mastery>=Vers>Haste>Crit, never goes under 90% of mana, except with bullshit group that stay into aoe and avoid nothing 

Actanon

I'm a big fan of mastery for MW. at 436% mastery (my main set) Gusts (our mastery) heals for 121,636 hp on top of the 4 spells it modifies, at 151% (my crit set's %) it only heals for 47,502 hp. and mastery is a whole lot easier to raise than any other stat for a MW.

Myself and the other Monk who often heals our raids also swear by Mastery.  As Realmouse pointed out, a high mastery offers consistent, free healing on top of 4 of our commonly used heals.  It's easy to raise Mastery to the point where it out-heals Effuse and Vivify's initial heal as well.....that's not even counting the DOUBLE value Mastery gets on recent Essence Font targets.  In Mythics/Mythic+ if the group takes a moderate amount of damage I'll just Essence Font once and then utilize Effuse/Vivify to get everyone healthy, mostly thanks to the free 200k+ instant heals I'm getting on each target for 6 seconds thanks to Mastery.  It's a 100% reliable bolster to our heals and it's a shame the I-V guide seems to mostly rate it so low.

Edited by sovereign110

There's a few problems with Mastery that makes it lack a bit behind the other stats. Firstly, you have to expend mana nearly every time you want to use it (The only exception is Sheilun's Gift). Versatility and crit continue to be useful on HoTs long after the cast has been done. While Haste also does that, it's usefulness comes from being able to cast faster, which can lead to saving lives you wouldn't normally be able to save. With Mastery, always having to spend mana to get the most healing can lead to using too much mana and running out later on in the fight. The second problem is that it doesn't improve our heals over time, which takes up a lot of our healing. Renewing Mist and Enveloping Mist does a lot for our healing, especially if you can blanket multiple people with Renewing Mist and Thunder Focus Tea. Mastery doesn't contribute to it, so you don't get as good HoTs, meaning you have to expend more mana to keep them topped off. Lastly, we don't have a move that does AoE that also casts our mastery on people. Essence Font does provide double effectiveness, but we still have to cast spells to get the double effectiveness mastery. Versatility and crit both increase the AoE effectiveness and the mastery (If it stacks with versatility), which improves our general AoE. The small time on the Essence Font buff also makes it hard to take advantage of to heal a big portion of the raid, as we would only get around three GCDs to use it. These problems make mastery generally less useful than the other stats; however, it is still very useful to have if you are going OOM, as the mastery can give you more raw healing per spell, which can mean all the difference.

Edited by Rush31